GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Superchargers: Need Info Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 01:09 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Superchargers: Need Info Please

I am wanting to possibly ditch my GS400 and get an E 55. I Want a bit more power than my GS. But...I started thinking and instead of paying significantly more, plus the tax, why not just Supercharge my GS400?

Then I started looking. I thought a roots type would be perfect for low end grunt. But, I cannot find a company that makes one.

Then I thought about a Centrifugal blower. I have seen a few on here, but don't remember who has what. I looked at a few sites, but didn't find anything.

So my question is....

Which company makes a Supercharger kit for the GS400? Or are these ones I've seen on here custom made?

And to those that do know....

Is it worth the investment? What other parts do you have to upgrade? Injectors? Fuel Pump? Can the trans shift properly? How much boost can that motor handle?

I am definitely curious about doing this mod pending I don't have to do a bunch of custom work to make it all work right.

I am not interested in a turbo.
Old 10-16-10, 01:20 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Here's the Blitz twin roots supercharger.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...40-3uz-fe.html

Old 10-16-10, 01:58 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this thread man! Lots of great info and brainstorms of throwing a roots style blower on.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-on-a-gs.html
Old 10-16-10, 10:05 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not worth the headaches imo... I've got lots invested in mine...too much to quit. If I could do it again, I wouldn't. Going to build a short block next
Old 10-17-10, 04:41 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm wrestling with this issue now as well, so for fun, I'll share my $0.02...

For the longest time my thinking was 100% the same as the OP's. Now I'd say it's about 30%.

The reason I'd say is that I'm starting to appreciate time. If I was a single guy making my income with a garage and some tools, you bet your a$$ that supercharger would be on my car by now, among a variety of other things.

But I'm not single, and I have two great kids. I work full-time-plus, and am going to school. At this point, scheduling In five years, I'm sure I'd look back on now and prioritize my free time differently to include things like date nights with the wife, road trips, some investing, maybe reading, I dunno. I do know that blowing a whole weekend tuning tip-in or panicking because I think I bent a rod or realizing I really need to upgrade __________ which'll cost $_______ isn't something I think I'll be glad I pursued in leiu of spending time with the family.

So in short, if have a family dynamic and budget that allows for this type of work, run with it, man! Hell, it may not even be that much work to stick an Eaton M90 pushing 5.5-6psi on our intake mani and run with it. It shouldn't be hard...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-on-a-gs.html

For me, right now, I'm 70% leaning toward a '99-01 Porsche 911 coupe, somewhere in the low $20k's. A buy it and drive it scenario. Versus a few thousand in upgrades, I'd rather pay a couple hundred a month in car payments to know a team of engineers worked for years to design my car to be fast, handle great, and be [relatively] headache-free. That, and the big-boat Lexus isn't as appealing to me as it used to be...now,a Carrera is more interesting to me.

At least that's the direction I'm leaning now...

Last edited by Frankdorn; 10-17-10 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-17-10, 11:24 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there were a kit out there, I would be interested. But if I have to piece it together, I guess I'd rather not. Don't have the time or the patience to do that. I'm surprised not one company developed a kit for these cars....not even a roots type putting out a small amount of boost....maybe 50-75 hp. That would be great for racing from a dig. But then there comes the tranny, injectors, pump(s), dyno tuning, etc etc.

But I suppose. What company wants to take the R&D on a car that's typically owned by older people.
Old 10-17-10, 06:30 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

I think as more and more honda owners transition to the GS, some manufacture will catch on and do the R & D.
Old 10-18-10, 05:37 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
If there were a kit out there, I would be interested. But if I have to piece it together, I guess I'd rather not. Don't have the time or the patience to do that. I'm surprised not one company developed a kit for these cars....not even a roots type putting out a small amount of boost....maybe 50-75 hp. That would be great for racing from a dig. But then there comes the tranny, injectors, pump(s), dyno tuning, etc etc.

But I suppose. What company wants to take the R&D on a car that's typically owned by older people.
Well, if you search these forums you will find that there were 3 main companies that DID build supercharger kits for our cars; LMS (Luxury Motor Sports), RMM (Rod Millen Motorsports) and SRT (Swift Racing Technologies).

From the above I believe ALL were discontinued back in '01 / '02 where there were MAYBE 20 kits made from each manufacturer. Personally, I don't know of anyone with an LMS kit but there are a good bunch of guys on here with the RMM and SRT kits.

FYI, SRT is located in Maryland. I contacted the owner Mo a couple of times and he mentioned that for around $8,000 - $9,000 he can build a one-off brand new kit with the latest items along with the install and tune. Also, included he mentioned would be an intercooler, larger injectors, standalone EMS, larger fuel pump and even a VB upgrade in the tansmission! He mentioned that it SHOULD put down somewhere around 400whp on around 7-8psi of boost. Landing the car right around 500hp at the crank. Stock engine internals and trans should hold this power without a glitch (just don't go much higher) lol. The only downside to this is he mentioned that he would need the car for 3 weeks to custom fabricate everything up again.

All in all it is NOT that bad of a deal if you think about it...you are paying for exclusivity where you can honestly say you would be MAYBE 1 of 40 people in the entire US with a supercharged Lexus GS4! GL!
Old 10-18-10, 06:19 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

rock, 8-9k is a great price....