GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 02:46 PM
lv6l
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 transmission problem

02 GS300. Stock.
Transmission seems to be stuttering and at time quick slippage during quick acceleration from a dead stop. Once accelerated, car seems to be stuck in 1st gear up to 4.5kRPM until you feel a jerk changing to next gear. This problem only happens when the car is driven from a cold overnight start. Runs fine once warmed up. But once warmed up the transmission would stutter a bit when acceleration from dead stop(like from stop sign to stop sign scanario). I changed the transmission fluid but I used Toyota's Dexron III transmission fluid. When I realized it, I changed it again to the correct type. That did not fix the problem, been going on ever since.

Is this normal or common for this model? What is the problem, if any. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-10, 04:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

How dirty is the fluid? Is it black or burned smelling? Keep in mind every time you drain and refill the pan, it only get 2 quarts changed out of the system. There is about 12 quarts or so in the whole transmission. You might have to change it multiple times to get all that old fluid out.

Also, make sure your battery is good, fully charged, and is not loose. This has caused shifting issues for a few people in the past. Also, try to reset the car computer by unplugging the negative battery terminal for 5-10 minutes, and then reconnect it.

Let us know and report back.
Old 04-05-10, 11:09 PM
lv6l
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I will do try all of that. Is there a way I can drain the entire 12 quarts and refill?
Old 04-05-10, 11:30 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to use a transmission fluid flushing machine. To do it at home, your only method is to drain and refill like 4-5 times.
Old 04-07-10, 09:39 AM
lv6l
Driver School Candidate

Oh, but if I continue to drive it in this state while changing the transmission fluid every 6000 miles will this cause any damage to the transmission?
Old 05-27-15, 08:14 AM
rico501
Driver School Candidate

Hey I'm having the same exact problem with my 2000 Lexus gs300. Along with minor transmission leak and I checked the fluid it is dirty and burning smell. The cel code is p0770 which is e shift selenoid please help! I just bought the car!
Old 05-27-15, 10:11 AM
bigegg
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...id-change.html
Old 11-10-19, 03:59 PM
gak6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lv6l
02 GS300. Stock.
Transmission seems to be stuttering and at time quick slippage during quick acceleration from a dead stop. Once accelerated, car seems to be stuck in 1st gear up to 4.5kRPM until you feel a jerk changing to next gear. This problem only happens when the car is driven from a cold overnight start. Runs fine once warmed up. But once warmed up the transmission would stutter a bit when acceleration from dead stop(like from stop sign to stop sign scanario). I changed the transmission fluid but I used Toyota's Dexron III transmission fluid. When I realized it, I changed it again to the correct type. That did not fix the problem, been going on ever since.

Is this normal or common for this model? What is the problem, if any. Thanks in advance.
Hi, I seem to have the same exact issue that you've described. Especially the stuttering during acceleration from a dead stop. Were you able to find a solution for this? If so I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks!

George
Old 11-14-19, 11:19 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what temperatures you're talking, but it would get below zero and it would not shift out of first until it started warming up. I never let it hit that high of rpms in the cold as I didn't want any seals or gaskets to bust, so I just pull over until it's warmed up, but I normally don't drive the car until it starts registering heat in those cold temps.

Had the car since 28k miles in 2009 and currently have 112k. Flushed the fluid every 40k at Lexus, have always had that initial shift issue in extreme cold, not a big deal to me and shifts very smoothly in all other conditions with no slippage unless the maf sensor was acting up - they don't always trigger a light and need a good cleaning now and then - especially if you use k&n air filter due to the oil that gets thru, acting like a dirt collecting magnet on the maf sensor.
Old 11-15-19, 03:13 AM
gak6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Dampfwalze
I don't know what temperatures you're talking, but it would get below zero and it would not shift out of first until it started warming up. I never let it hit that high of rpms in the cold as I didn't want any seals or gaskets to bust, so I just pull over until it's warmed up, but I normally don't drive the car until it starts registering heat in those cold temps.

Had the car since 28k miles in 2009 and currently have 112k. Flushed the fluid every 40k at Lexus, have always had that initial shift issue in extreme cold, not a big deal to me and shifts very smoothly in all other conditions with no slippage unless the maf sensor was acting up - they don't always trigger a light and need a good cleaning now and then - especially if you use k&n air filter due to the oil that gets thru, acting like a dirt collecting magnet on the maf sensor.
This happens to me in cold temperatures, such as the 30 degree F mornings on my way to work. The same when leaving work in cold temps, the car does not want to shift and when it finally does, it is very rough. I have to let it warm up or put it in gear with my foot on the brake to let the transmission warm up faster. I also do not try and mash the throttle until the car registers normal operating temperature.
I am at almost 322,000 miles with a transmission that was rebuilt about 132,000 miles ago. It shifts smoothly when warm but still shows symptoms that lv6l mentioned about stuttering a bit when accelerating from a dead stop while still warm.
Thank you very much for contributing to this thread!