GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thunk sound from the passenger rear when driving over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 04:45 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

So I just came back from the dealership and so far they fixed the rattle. Won't be able to know for sure until when I drive it in the mornings everday to work when its colder and issue seems more obvious. However after now putting my hand on the sunroof glass and trying to vibrate it to see if there is any play, there is no rattle when manually doing this like before. I must say though that I'm glad I went to South County Lexus (thanks again Connect2 ) The experience there was really good as they got me in a loaner (I didn't even ask for one and thought that I would have to wait in the waiting room for their evaluation) immediately within 5 min. Daven was my service guy and already mentioned that he was familiar with the problem and had already fixed a few GSs recently with this same sunroof problem before. After he mentioned that, I left the dealership with the loaner and gave him the benefit of the doubt that he would fix it. My back up plan was to physically ride with the tech later if they ever came back to me as "unable to reproduce" when I returned the loaner, however it never got to that point. Below is a snapshot of the work they did.

Old 03-13-16, 01:31 PM
Connect2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viperr
So I just came back from the dealership and so far they fixed the rattle. Won't be able to know for sure until when I drive it in the mornings everday to work when its colder and issue seems more obvious. However after now putting my hand on the sunroof glass and trying to vibrate it to see if there is any play, there is no rattle when manually doing this like before. I must say though that I'm glad I went to South County Lexus (thanks again Connect2 ) The experience there was really good as they got me in a loaner (I didn't even ask for one and thought that I would have to wait in the waiting room for their evaluation) immediately within 5 min. Daven was my service guy and already mentioned that he was familiar with the problem and had already fixed a few GSs recently with this same sunroof problem before. After he mentioned that, I left the dealership with the loaner and gave him the benefit of the doubt that he would fix it. My back up plan was to physically ride with the tech later if they ever came back to me as "unable to reproduce" when I returned the loaner, however it never got to that point. Below is a snapshot of the work they did.

:thumbs: glad it got fixed
Old 05-04-16, 08:33 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

So I finally got around to taking my car to the dealer to address the rattle/wind noise issue. The dealer confirmed the issue was coming from the moon roof and replaced the rubber weatherstripping around the moon roof glass (it did not look worn but maybe there is an updated version).

After picking it up, all the 'rear' rattle noise and wind noise I had is completely gone. The car is quieter than before and I get none of the rattle noise which sounded like it came from the rear.

I am also very happy that there is absolutely no wind noise at freeway (and above) speeds from the moon roof area. There is no noise level difference anymore between the moon roof sun shade being open or closed (before it was much quieter closed).

The only problem now is since the car is quieter, I can hear a slight air leak from one of the seals in the door somewhere but it is very slight and only when going fast.
Old 05-04-16, 11:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Connect2
Going in there's enough to flex the body a little. It's fairly smooth around there though
Are our Gs's body really that weak? Seems kind of disappointing.
Old 05-04-16, 02:08 PM
SlwDrvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try checking your trunk liner on the top. Mine came loose and it sounded like my suspension or exhaust hanging clunking around. I had to secure it tightly again and the thunking noise went away.