GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The ridiculous diabolical Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 08:12 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkenny
I can't even get mine to remotely work. Keeps saying battery condition low? WTF.
If you're getting the 'low battery' issue, then you need to take it to the dealer. They will update the computer software under warranty and then the remote start will work fine. While you're at the dealer, see if there are any other updates you need.
Old 07-16-15, 07:19 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure why you would want your car to idle for more than 10/20 minz either...even in cold climates that's plenty.

On a side note, if I'm not mistaken, our cars (or at least mine) uses the exhaust to heat the car to operating temp quickly. My 5 series use to do this as well. The exhaust had butterflies that would bring the temp up quickly in case you were in a hurry. If you look at the temp gauge on the dash, you'll see it gets up quickly just after starting the car. My 2010 GS didn't do this and it was fully loaded. Kinda neat b/c im always in a hurry
Old 07-16-15, 07:33 AM
trdtrung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's called a egr
Old 07-16-15, 07:41 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

EGR is for emissions. Although it does recirculate exhaust gases back into the engine, that's not what I was referring to in my above post.

Thx tho!
Old 07-16-15, 08:50 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
I'm not sure why you would want your car to idle for more than 10/20 minz either...even in cold climates that's plenty.

On a side note, if I'm not mistaken, our cars (or at least mine) uses the exhaust to heat the car to operating temp quickly. My 5 series use to do this as well. The exhaust had butterflies that would bring the temp up quickly in case you were in a hurry. If you look at the temp gauge on the dash, you'll see it gets up quickly just after starting the car. My 2010 GS didn't do this and it was fully loaded. Kinda neat b/c im always in a hurry
Oh that's nice to know. I didn't know about this.
Old 07-16-15, 10:01 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean

Yeah I do notice my car heats up much faster than my old Camry. This is nice to know.
Old 08-30-15, 01:08 PM
Petrolhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Update

I had my wife to sit in the GS turned off. i remotely locked the car and remote started the vehicle.
If she touched the brake or the start button the car shut off.

Lexus told me that the turn off after a remote start was a safety feature. If the car cannot be put into drive, (which you need to hit the brake pedal to move the gear shift) that is a untrue statement.

Lexus is suppose to be the best of the best, but they cant seem to get a remote start feature correct.

Kia's, Hyundai's, and Chevy's can get this right. Why not the best?

This is a huge disappointment, along with the ****ty engine sound. (3.5 GS350 FSport) They sayt high pressure fuel pump direct injection, it's for better gas mileage, but the GS gets average if not below average gas mileage for a modern 3.5 liter engine. Not even 20mpg city. BMW's, Infiniti's, Acura's don't have as pronounced ticking noise at idle.

Lazy engineering Toyota !
Resting on your laurels doesn't keep customers.
Old 10-07-15, 08:14 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Mr Klean, the ES300h (and all Lexus hybrids starting in 2010) have an exhaust
manifold that circulates coolant to speed up the warm up time. Benefits are both
your comfort, the heater and defroster come on much quicker, and emissions are
reduced because the ICE can shut down earlier when it is warm. It is all about
the energy management!
Old 10-07-15, 10:31 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Mr Klean, the ES300h (and all Lexus hybrids starting in 2010) have an exhaust
manifold that circulates coolant to speed up the warm up time. Benefits are both
your comfort, the heater and defroster come on much quicker, and emissions are
reduced because the ICE can shut down earlier when it is warm. It is all about
the energy management!
Woah, really? You learn something new everyday! I always wondered how the engine was able to warm up so much quicker & essentially shut off to utilize the electric motors for power (or to control . Thanks for sharing this up Mr. Klean and mcomer.

I assume "Exhaust Heat Recovery and Recirculation (EHRR)" [or sometimes refered by Toyota as "Exhaust Health Recovery System (EHRS)"] tech is only used in the hybrid models and not in ICE vehicles?

It's amazing technology and very efficient use of the warm fumes that are often just "wasted" by being dispensed into the environment!

I did a little more research and came across two excellent presentations/articles on it:
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2...11_barrieu.pdf
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...irculation.htm

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-07-15, 12:56 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by KJD3
Heck even with my Infiniti I could pull up to the grocery leave my car running get out and lock the doors, as long as I had the key fob on me, and run inside come back out and unlock the car hop in and take off. With Lexus/Toyota it just has that prolonged beep and won't lock the doors.

Is it true we have to have the subscription active to use our key fob remote start function?
You can lock the car when it's on. Don't use the remote, use the key to lock and unlock the car. It has no effect on the engine once it's already on. Subscription is required for Lexus Enform Remote Start App not the one on the fob. You can start it with your phone from anywhere with phone signal or wifi. It's a nice app that allows you to start, lock/unlock, locate your car and some other stuff. You also get notifications when a car status changed. Not all 15 models are capable of doing this.

Originally Posted by Petrolhead

Lexus is suppose to be the best of the best, but they cant seem to get a remote start feature correct.

Kia's, Hyundai's, and Chevy's can get this right. Why not the best?

This is a huge disappointment, along with the ****ty engine sound. (3.5 GS350 FSport) They sayt high pressure fuel pump direct injection, it's for better gas mileage, but the GS gets average if not below average gas mileage for a modern 3.5 liter engine. Not even 20mpg city. BMW's, Infiniti's, Acura's don't have as pronounced ticking noise at idle.

Lazy engineering Toyota !
Resting on your laurels doesn't keep customers.
It's not that they can't, they don't want to do it for whatever reason that might be. It would certainly be more convenient if it stayed on, but I personally like it this way better. I know for sure that my car won't move if someone opens it. I was actually wondering why they didn't make a sticker saying "This vehicle will shut off if opened."

Lexus/Toyota or any car companies make products. We test a product, we like, we buy. If we don't, we get something else. There are many many choices. One just needs to test and finds the one that fits his/her needs.
Old 10-08-15, 05:24 PM
13gs350ct
Driver School Candidate

I am a mobile electronics installer . And even the aftermarket car starters for Toyota and Lexus with pts do the same thing as well as some other makes as well . Its called key take over and these cars don't do it .
Old 06-23-16, 06:43 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

as a new owner of a 2013 GS with remote start, this feature is very disappointing and implemented very bad. I can't think of any other manufacture who requires you to restart your vehicle after you get in it.
Old 06-23-16, 07:25 PM
KJD3
Driver

Originally Posted by tejanp
as a new owner of a 2013 GS with remote start, this feature is very disappointing and implemented very bad. I can't think of any other manufacture who requires you to restart your vehicle after you get in it.
It's the same way with my co workers Tundra. I've asked why it's set up like that and the answer I always get is because if you remote start the car and someone else gets in they could essentially drive your car away since the Toyota/Lexus remote start starts everything in the car, unlike GM. And with Toyota having the issues with the brake pedals a few years back I highly doubt they will ever install a kill switch in the brake pedal like GM, where if you hit the brake pedal before turning the key or hitting the push to start button it turns the car off.

Could be worse, Mercedes flat out refuses to put a remote start in their cars specifically for the same reason Toyota has theirs turn off when the doors are unlocked.
Old 06-23-16, 08:07 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So is Lexus acknowledging that their stolen vehicle recovery is far less useful than their advertising implies, so they cripple remote start?

I live in a hot climate, so I buy a white car. Get in, turn it on, cool in 3 minutes with my A/C and ventillated seats.

Have a loaner Jeep with remote start, and while it works the way folks want, I was not particularly impressed with walking up to a car & having a bunch of exhaust fumes waft into the vehicle. Last time I used that "feature."
Old 06-25-16, 01:46 AM
KJD3
Driver

Originally Posted by spoogenet
So is Lexus acknowledging that their stolen vehicle recovery is far less useful than their advertising implies, so they cripple remote start?
No, Lexus isn't admitting anything. That's just what I've been told by two higher ups at my Lexus dealership, and what my co worker was told by the Toyota dealership.