GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Intermidiate pipe Exhaust leak 06 GS300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 07:02 AM
Droberts12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermidiate pipe Exhaust leak 06 GS300 AWD

Went to the Lexus dealership to have a key programed and dealership did a diagnostic check on the car, very bad news exhaust leak need to replace intermediate pipe they quoted $1900 for parts alone. Has anyone had this issue? Where else can the work be done?

Thanks

2006 GS300 AWD
80,000 Miles
Old 10-30-12, 10:26 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a leak in the system, I'd have thought you should have Check on the MID and the associated lights lit up.
If the dash was showing nothing, but they done the diagnostic as a routine thing or part of the programming, and you did have the lights up (but gone now), then it's just been the gas cap not making a full seal.
Just be sure to push down a bit, as it clicks, and you should be grand - otherwise buy a new cap.
Old 10-30-12, 12:42 PM
kels3000
Driver School Candidate

Yep, something like that, went in to get my oil changed and was looking for a bill around $60 or less, I had no lights or indications. Mechanic came back with recommendation for an Exhaust manifold replacement $2600. I haven't had it fixed yet because that was not on my modification list.

2006 GS AWD Mileage is probably somewhere around 80,000 by now.
Old 10-30-12, 02:35 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've nothing lit up on the dash, and your fuel economy is steady (assuming same type of journeys each day), then put it to the back of you mind for the time being.
That and have an independent look at the manifold, see if he has a sniffer or something to detect leakage of exhaust gases.
If the fuel cap not making a complete seal is enough to send the dashboard into overdrive, then I don't think it takes one to be a rocket scientist to extrapolate that the same vacuum the system works under and monitors, includes the exhaust gases out to the cats on each bank, if not the rear cat too.

So, (un)fortunately, I have to call BS on this "discovery" for the time being, and the dealership will have to make do without your financial contribution.
Old 10-30-12, 02:38 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an exhaust leak on mine that kept popping an error code for my cats, but took it to dealer they found it was an exhaust leak and fixed it thru warranty, the exhaust and the parts associated have a factory extended warranty
Old 10-31-12, 05:20 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
I had an exhaust leak on mine that kept popping an error code for my cats, but took it to dealer they found it was an exhaust leak and fixed it thru warranty, the exhaust and the parts associated have a factory extended warranty
While this is true, it varies by state. I believe California has the longest warranty on emissions based equipment. Check your manual for specifics!
Old 10-31-12, 10:58 AM
kels3000
Driver School Candidate

While this is true, it varies by state. I believe California has the longest warranty on emissions based equipment. Check your manual for specifics!

I'm in GA an it does vary by state and possibly who you get your warranty through, because I bought an extended warranty and in the warranty it specifically stated that any part of the exhaust system is not covered. Of course I didn't find this out until I raised the roof.
Old 09-19-13, 06:16 PM
mxbuch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droberts12
Went to the Lexus dealership to have a key programed and dealership did a diagnostic check on the car, very bad news exhaust leak need to replace intermediate pipe they quoted $1900 for parts alone. Has anyone had this issue? Where else can the work be done?

Thanks

2006 GS300 AWD
80,000 Miles
Hello I HAD contact with my dealer and since my vsc light was going on and off they hooked it up and informed me that my Y exhaust had a leak and needed to be relaced at $2,000 I bought a new gas cap and the problem may have been resolved.

Also are you aware of the campaign to replace cv boots that are torn.Because of issues Lexus will allow you to purchase an entire axle left and right side at the cost of boots.A framatic savings.
Old 09-19-13, 06:43 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mxbuch
Hello I HAD contact with my dealer and since my vsc light was going on and off they hooked it up and informed me that my Y exhaust had a leak and needed to be relaced at $2,000 I bought a new gas cap and the problem may have been resolved.

Also are you aware of the campaign to replace cv boots that are torn.Because of issues Lexus will allow you to purchase an entire axle left and right side at the cost of boots.A framatic savings.
Common problem on these cars especially for AWD's. Easy solution, take it to a muffler shop tell them too remove the heat shield and both clamps, grind the in between and weld it solid.

The main problem is the dust shields trap dirt and debris and cause rust. Worst case if your piping is too badly rusted you can have him cut that section and weld on a new pipe.

Total cost for me to do one side $30 bucks and 40min waiting
Old 09-20-13, 12:46 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why replace pipes when exhaust shops will just cut out problem parts and replace with stainless steel?
Old 09-21-13, 04:51 PM
crump06
Driver School Candidate

Same thing happened to me. I had no check engine lights but I could hear a tiny exhaust leak. Then lexus did the misfire replacement for me. I recieved my car back and it was extremely louder. They said it was because the motor was healthier now and its putting out more power since they replaced internals.. Whatever. They said my intermidiate pipe had a leak and wanted over 2 grand. I took my car to an old school muffler shop and he said the pipes had rusted and there were holes. He cut the pipes and replaced them on both sides. It took 30 minutes and 60 dollars because i used a card. It would have been 50 cash. Problem solved, it is quiet again. I don't care if it's not lexus oem. I refuse to pay 2 grand. I'd much rather take that money and put it down on a newer vehicle. My car is an 06 gs awd as well.
Old 10-07-13, 05:24 PM
skillydog
Driver School Candidate

Well the good news is I know my dealer is at least consistent with all of the other quotes you guys are getting... the bad news is that I gave them the go-ahead to fix it at $1,800 today.... Sucks for me but also for the dealership's new car sales as I was planning on trading in for a 2014 GS when they come out... now I'm going to ride it out and try to get another year out of this one...I just might look at a Jaguar next time...
Old 10-07-13, 08:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by skillydog
Well the good news is I know my dealer is at least consistent with all of the other quotes you guys are getting... the bad news is that I gave them the go-ahead to fix it at $1,800 today.... Sucks for me but also for the dealership's new car sales as I was planning on trading in for a 2014 GS when they come out... now I'm going to ride it out and try to get another year out of this one...I just might look at a Jaguar next time...
I heard great things about Jaguar... My fiancé's boss drives one and absolutely loves it. I still <3 my Lexus though, so I don't think i'd ever make that kind of a switch.