GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 300 auxiliary

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 03:22 PM
nsb1449
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 300 auxiliary

Greetings. I just purchased a 2003 GS 300. It has the premium sound, no navigation, and 6 cd disk changer. I need a way to connect music from my phone (aux and/or bluetooth). From what I'm reading, aftermarket radio will be a hassle due to the built-in amp and speakers so I'm looking for other options. What would be the best and affordable option to accomplish this? Not looking to spend too much just want to be able to play music off my phone.
Old 06-05-16, 03:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Hello, welcome to Club Lexus

Easiest way is to use an RF modulator, about $50 bucks and you can use any attachment, headphone auxiliary jack, or even an iPod hook up. Any adapter with a set of RCA's on the other side.

I just installed this one in a customers car and it works very well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSimple-Radi...4AAOSwMHdXTcJB

(thats actually pretty cheap, they usually go for about $50 bucks)

All you need to buy is one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auxiliary-In...BS699c&vxp=mtr

Its a very simple install and very well integrated. If done right, it will look as if the car came with it.
Old 06-05-16, 04:35 PM
nsb1449
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Hello, welcome to Club Lexus

Easiest way is to use an RF modulator, about $50 bucks and you can use any attachment, headphone auxiliary jack, or even an iPod hook up. Any adapter with a set of RCA's on the other side.

I just installed this one in a customers car and it works very well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSimple-Radi...4AAOSwMHdXTcJB

(thats actually pretty cheap, they usually go for about $50 bucks)

All you need to buy is one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auxiliary-In...BS699c&vxp=mtr

Its a very simple install and very well integrated. If done right, it will look as if the car came with it.
That's interesting and should be fairly cheap. How is the sound quality having it go through the antenna though? It can't be as good as a straight digital connection. Any mounting/drilling/modification necessary?

Also worth mentioning that I do not use or have any CDs, so if there is a digital connection that could come from that would be a little more ideal.
Old 06-05-16, 06:38 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9487149
Old 06-05-16, 07:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nsb1449
That's interesting and should be fairly cheap. How is the sound quality having it go through the antenna though? It can't be as good as a straight digital connection. Any mounting/drilling/modification necessary?

Also worth mentioning that I do not use or have any CDs, so if there is a digital connection that could come from that would be a little more ideal.
Sound quality is excellent. As for digital, explain. Are you talking about digital in its technical science, or digital as in coming from an iPod?

The install is quite simple and not too extensive. The unit itself is only about 2"x3", just need to use some double sided tape and find a spot to mount it, OR, (if I remember correctly) after removing the stereo, just above the 2 air vents theres a nice space with plenty of room (unless you have the Mark Levingston which has a center speaker) but there still may be room for the unit. Either secure it there, or just lay it in there

Drilling. There are 2 holes that need to be drilled. The unit comes with a switch thats about a 1/2" in diameter, however, some cars can have the unit on all the time without it interfering with the normal sound of other stations (Hondas in particular) so before drilling for the switch, its best to install it and turn the switch off and on to see if it effects other stations. If it doesnt effect any other stations (or you just dont use the radio at all) you can just leave the switch on and keep the switch behind the dash with the unit. the unit will still power off and on with the car. There are plenty of inconspicuous places to mount the switch. Nonetheless, its a clean install wherever you install it.

The other hole is for the auxiliary jack. I believe its about 3/8" and too is a nice flush install. Personally, I'd install both the switch and auxiliary jack right next to the cigarette lighter in the center console. Its out of the way and in an area to put your iPod or whatever device you want to use.

Everything else is plug and play.
Old 06-05-16, 09:01 PM
Metlupass2
Driver

Cassette tape adapter. I've been using the same one for well over 6 years now.
Old 06-07-16, 07:23 AM
nsb1449
6th Gear

Is there any way to install an aftermarket headunit without having to replace the speakers, amp, etc.? If not, what is the minimum that needs to be done/purchased?
Old 06-07-16, 07:42 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there any way to install an aftermarket headunit without having to replace the speakers, amp, etc.? If not, what is the minimum that needs to be done/purchased?
yea. just put a double din with bluetooth and iphone cable and be done with it
Old 06-07-16, 08:05 AM
nsb1449
6th Gear

I thought non-factory radios couldnt connect to the built-in amp and sound system?
Old 06-07-16, 09:45 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I thought non-factory radios couldnt connect to the built-in amp and sound system?
This is something you will need to research here on CL, there has been 18 years worth of this discussion. I'm an audio genius, but when I did my car, I re wired the whole thing so I never go into the details of this enigma. However, I do remember reading many posts and an electrical engineer member actually opened the amp and couldnt find how to get the amp to turn on... Now in saying this, MANY members have aftermarket decks in there car and I have no clue what they did to make it work or I just dont remember

Theres a recent thread on this, just do some searching, you'll find what you need. I even posted how to just bypass the amp completely by jumping the wires on the amp. Its a tedious job, but its doable.

Ok as I typed this, I remembered this. If you have the $$, these are a seamless install:

http://www.vaistech.com/newsite/prod...s-ipod-iphone/
Old 06-07-16, 10:51 AM
ksultan78
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
yea. just put a double din with bluetooth and iphone cable and be done with it
you had to run an amp to your subwoofer or lost one of your speakers right? Afaik, there is no harness for aftermarket radios that works for the 2GS platform. At least there wasn't when i had my z120 installed... had to buy an amp and run my sub that way.
Old 06-07-16, 05:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ksultan78
you had to run an amp to your subwoofer or lost one of your speakers right? Afaik, there is no harness for aftermarket radios that works for the 2GS platform. At least there wasn't when i had my z120 installed... had to buy an amp and run my sub that way.
One of the Vaistech's actually plugs into the factory harness of the CD player in the glove compartment and uses that input for whatever component you hook up. I believe that same unit allows you to use the CD function's on the oem deck (ff, play, rw etc) to control an Ipod. I too believe that one of the more expensive units will project to the navigation screen controls for the iPod as well. Something to look into for those who want to keep their systems stock.