GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New upper control arms - New rubber or Daizen ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 11:54 AM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New upper control arms - New rubber or Daizen ?

I am redoing the suspension on my 2002 GS300 80k miles.

I have the Daizen kit, with control arm bushings, steering rack, new lower ball joints, not tie rod ends, tein H Tech springs, KYB GR-2 shocks, TRD blue sway bars, new sway bar end links, and new upper control arms.

My question? Should I just install the new upper control arms that have new rubber bushings or remove the new rubber and install the Daizen?

I am trying to balance near stock ride quality, with a small drop in ride height (because of crappy pothole roads) with improved handling and getting ride of the vibration. I have picked up some comments that the vibration is more related to the lower control arm and lower control camber control arm. I am supprised at how much flex there is in the New Upper control arm bushings.

Any one have experiance with what the Daizen does to ride or drive harshness on only the upper control arm bushing vs new rubber bushings?
Old 08-25-10, 12:26 PM
Gunnut
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you located? I'm in Lenexa and going to replace my UCA and caster arms tomorrow.
Old 08-26-10, 07:31 AM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gunnut
Where are you located? I'm in Lenexa and going to replace my UCA and caster arms tomorrow.
I am just NE of Topeka, which has terrible pothole issues and wavy asphalt.

Thus, why I asking about the UCA.

Are you replacing the UCA bushings or the whole control arm?
Old 08-26-10, 07:53 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, I would always install Daizen bushings when replacing OEM suspension parts. If you're staying with 16 or 17 inch wheels there is nothing but upside, 18 in wheels strong upside (with quality tires), 19 or up wheels you're going to start to feel everything which might turn off lots of people.

I currently have the UCA and LCA Daizen bushings installed and wish I would have done it years ago.

As far as the other updates you're making in relation to degradation of ride, your key is balancing your "near stock ride quality" is going to be wheel size/tire selection.
Old 08-26-10, 08:11 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
IMHO, I would always install Daizen bushings when replacing OEM suspension parts. If you're staying with 16 or 17 inch wheels there is nothing but upside, 18 in wheels strong upside (with quality tires), 19 or up wheels you're going to start to feel everything which might turn off lots of people.

I currently have the UCA and LCA Daizen bushings installed and wish I would have done it years ago.

As far as the other updates you're making in relation to degradation of ride, your key is balancing your "near stock ride quality" is going to be wheel size/tire selection.

Hey, i have a stock 02 GS430 with 99,000 miles and stock 17's. My ride feels terrible right now and wanders all over the highway. You're telling me that i should go ahead and do the Daizen kit? The bushings will keep that Lexus like ride.
Old 08-26-10, 08:22 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
The bushings will keep that Lexus like ride.
Actually, no, your ride will be more sport like in a fantastic way. Replacing the UCA and LCA bushings cleared up my "faint" wheel vibrations, helped my car track 100% correctly but did create a more firm ride. the Lexus ride was too floaty for my liking from day one.

Again, IMO I can't see going any other way if you have to replace suspension parts where Daizen products are available.
Old 08-27-10, 06:50 AM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy

The car came with the chrome 16" wheels and I have new General Altimax HP 235/55-16 tires just for this reason. They look good on the car and with the springs should fill up that big front gap.
Old 08-27-10, 01:14 PM
Gunnut
Intermediate

More than the harsh ride, what I didn't like about the Daizens is the regular maintenace required with them. Many have said you need to grease them regularly to keep them from squeaking. I don't enjoy working on my car that much, so I went back to stock.
Old 08-27-10, 01:18 PM
Gunnut
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grantville
I am just NE of Topeka, which has terrible pothole issues and wavy asphalt.

Thus, why I asking about the UCA.

Are you replacing the UCA bushings or the whole control arm?
My balljoints were bad so I replaced the whole arm. Also the Daizens have been in the car for about 100k miles and have ALWAYS squeaked.
Started to drive me loonier than I already am. So beck/Arnley repalcements from Rock Auto. No idea how long they'll last but at 1/3 the cost of OEM, it was worth the gamble.
Old 08-27-10, 08:53 PM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gunnut
My balljoints were bad so I replaced the whole arm. Also the Daizens have been in the car for about 100k miles and have ALWAYS squeaked.
Started to drive me loonier than I already am. So beck/Arnley repalcements from Rock Auto. No idea how long they'll last but at 1/3 the cost of OEM, it was worth the gamble.
Beck-Arnley UCA are what I bought, the Company is owned by Dana Corporation. They look solid, but these parts may be all made in the same place, who knows.