GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

question on front licence plate frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-02, 08:59 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261
had my gs nearly 2 years and never got pulled over. installed my bodykit and didn't put on the front plate, and two days later, got a cop pulling me over, right in the middle of campus, at school rush hour. that was a little more attention than i needed....

told him i just got my kit on, but had no receipt to prove it. so now i carry a copied receipt with updated dates so that it always says i just got it installed and picked up a on friday at 6. "i'm sorry, but i got my car late and they didn't have time to drill the holes. i have an appointment to have it fixed in a few days at the shop."
You know of course that wouldn't work if the same cop pulls you over, unless you chance the time its goes to the shop?
Old 06-17-02, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Mr GS400
To the best of my knowledge it's not considered a 'moving violation' so points are not 'awarded'. It simply digs into your wallet and time.
oh that would be good. i would fly down and take the licence plate off my tl-s too
Old 06-18-02, 12:41 AM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default No plates at all

I don't use the plates at all, front or rear. I just tape a folded copy of the registration to the window, as if there's a reason I have no plates. I got the idea form a co-worker who was too lazy to install her plates. It has been 3 years, no tickets. My brother hasn't installed his plates since he bought his bimmer 4 months ago. He had a speeding ticket last month and wasn't asked about his lack of plates.

Yes, in places like Santa Monica and West LA, they'll ticket you for no front plate. It's something silly, like $10 or so. But if you have no plates at all and there's something taped in your windshield, like a dealer temporary registration card, you won't get a ticket. A lot of people don't install front plates to avoid tickets from those intersection cameras. But, I've also heard they're ticketing in those areas for no front plates.

Having no plates does not go on your driving record. Plates are ugly. I can't wait until they implant that chip in my head. Then there won't be a need for plates.
Old 06-18-02, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Mr GS400
I can tell you from practical experience not having a front license plate in the certain Los Angeles areas can be problematic. Not showing a front plate is similar to non-factory window tints in California. It's very subjective and random in terms of ticketing.

There is a certain motorcycle traffic officer in Manhattan Beach that has stopped me a number of times for tinted front side windows and no front license plate. Tinted windows citations are simply a fine (no fix-it inspection) while front license plate requires inspection. This guy has a bug-up-his-a** regarding tinted windows and while he did his 'walk around' noticed I didn't have a front plate.

In Santa Monica the Parking Patrol people also wrote me up once for a missing license plate while ticketing me for a parking violation.

I finally put my front plate on since I got tired of paying tickets and going through the inspection BS.
umm.... darn, west LA and santa monica are exactly the two areas that i am always at when i am in LA.... not a very good idea.... mind if i ask how much you have to pay for the front licence plate even you go for inspection? i heard people saying that they have changed the rule that a 2nd, 3rd, etc... violation will result in double, tripple, etc.. fine... is that true? or it's still a fixed fine?
Old 06-18-02, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: No plates at all

Originally posted by moocowman
I don't use the plates at all, front or rear. I just tape a folded copy of the registration to the window, as if there's a reason I have no plates. I got the idea form a co-worker who was too lazy to install her plates. It has been 3 years, no tickets. My brother hasn't installed his plates since he bought his bimmer 4 months ago. He had a speeding ticket last month and wasn't asked about his lack of plates.

Yes, in places like Santa Monica and West LA, they'll ticket you for no front plate. It's something silly, like $10 or so. But if you have no plates at all and there's something taped in your windshield, like a dealer temporary registration card, you won't get a ticket. A lot of people don't install front plates to avoid tickets from those intersection cameras. But, I've also heard they're ticketing in those areas for no front plates.

Having no plates does not go on your driving record. Plates are ugly. I can't wait until they implant that chip in my head. Then there won't be a need for plates.
i am wondering how you tape the registration to the window? using the tape screwy tapes that the dealers use? coz' i find that thing ultra hard to take off and leave marks that took me a lot of effort to get rid of. so i am wondering since you have probably put the thing there for a long time, you worry about not able to take it off?
Old 06-18-02, 11:25 AM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default Tape

What I used is not really tape. It's like a really thick plastic wrap, the same material they use to make those oil change windshield stickers. You can peel it off as many times as you want and it'll restick to glass as long as it's clean. No adhesive, no mess.
Old 06-18-02, 12:52 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't know about CA, but in NY

You can get a ticket even if parked for no front plate, BUT there is a loophole. You can file a lost plate form with the DMV in NY to get around the plate thing. I don't know if they make you get new plates, but in my case I have Vanity plates, and I doubt they'd make a special run of 1 plate so I can have a front and rear. I'm not suggesting you submit forged documents to the DMV, but if you temporarily lose the plate and then file the form, I don't think they have a second form in case you evere find the palte again...Hehehe.
Old 06-18-02, 01:13 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Im in SJ. Just got a ticket this morning for having tinted windows and no front license plate. This is my second tint ticket and first plate ticket...
Old 06-18-02, 03:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by amlin423
Im in SJ. Just got a ticket this morning for having tinted windows and no front license plate. This is my second tint ticket and first plate ticket...
when was your last tint ticket? how long have you gotten the car for? mind telling me which part of san jose you got busted?
Old 06-18-02, 05:12 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

when was your last tint ticket? how long have you gotten the car for? mind telling me which part of san jose you got busted?
My last tint ticket was about 8 months ago.
I have the car for 1 year and 3 days.
I got caught northbound 101 where it intersects with 280/680.
I was pulled over by a CHP on a motorcycle who said I "lane changed" on him....whatevers..didn't feel like arguing..
The first time I got caught was on the 880 exit on brokaw...I stopped at a light about to make a right turn and kinda stepped on the gas a bit too hard when the light turned green. The car screeched and the cop didn't like that (even thought it lasted less than 1/2 second and I didn't go over 30Mph) ...he pulled me over ..lectured for a minute ...decided not to give me a moving violation ticket...and said "BTW..ur windows are illegally tinted" and slapped me with a fix-it ticket which i ignored and paid off.

Both Brokaw and 101 have TONS of cops...be careful there...there's also a lot of CHPs around 87 freeway
Old 06-18-02, 06:31 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

If you get busted for illegal tints or no front plates or any non-moving violation is that on your record for a few years or how long? Aside of course if you don't pay for any of those tickets. Do they remove it from your record once you paid off the ticket?

Just curious since if they pull you over for a non-moving violation and notice you had 7 illegal tint tickets, could they do something more drastic since it obvious you are ignoring the violation and just paying off the ticket?

Anyone know?

Fa-suto
Old 06-18-02, 08:03 PM
fisher_price
Rookie

I got a 'no front plate' ticket in Palo Alto about two months ago (post-call + no sleep = I lost it at the meter maid when I saw him up the block hanging out in his uniform and LAPD sunglasses, trying to mack on the ladies: "I go to work and save lives, you go to work and write stupid f---ing parking tickets!" oh boy).

This really cool woman at the Showers Drive DMV signed off the 'fix-it' ticket when I got new plates-- at the counter, without examining the car. Seems like that might be standard policy. I then drove to PA City Hall and submitted the ticket with my $10 fine, noticing a photocopied newspaper article at the cashier's window about how Palo Alto is going to start enforcing the front plate rule.

So now the plate rides under the passenger seat and gets placed on the dashboard when I park in downtown PA, San Francisco, or any other place that seems like they'd enforce that crap.

f_p
Old 06-18-02, 08:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh great, my work place is very close to corner of 101 an brokaw.... @_@

in case you guys dont' know, the CHP office is actually very close to that place. it's on junction and close to brokaw, that's why you see quite a lot of CHP around there all the time. this really sux....

but hell, as long as it's not a moving violation i would rather pay than putting it on.... i don't like to have HOLES on my bumper!