GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anybody have "TIMKEN" wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 07:37 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well finally got my lazy *** off the couch and decided to do it. for those who need a DIY, just follow Chezno26's lower ball joint write up and take off the upper ball joint.

A few notes for those who want to DIY this...
1. Take the speed sensor off before removing the passenger caliper.
2. Don't forget to buy the bearing seals as well. I completely forgot about these, and I was driving around town all day to locate a pair....i think i spent more time driving then working on my car

I used the Timkin bearings/seals and so far so good.

and since everyone likes pics...

notice the yellow thing above the end links? thats the sensor. HANDLE IT AS IF IT'S A BOMB.

take this to a machine shop.
Midas tried to pull a fast one on me and wanted 75bucks/side
went to a local mom'n pop store and it was 25/side
Old 01-04-10, 09:27 PM
YOO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twojayzee
The rear is the same type deal. Still need a press. I havent done the rears are on my car yet, but will be doing all four soon. Remove the snap ring and then use the press...
Heres an illustration
sry for bring this up from the dead.

from that diagram, how exactly does the hub sit onto the hub carrier and how does the bearing get pressed in?>

I just replaced my rear bearing. had a shop press in the bearing but my car is still making the noise after installation. Im starting to think that the hub is grinding againts the carrier somehow.

Or maybe its the axles that are making the noise???

Any insight would be great!

Last edited by YOO; 01-07-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 09:55 AM
bpc23
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
By the way, the box that that the bearing came in says "Timken", but on the bearing itself it says Koyo Japan. WTF?
A quick Google search of "KOYO" reveals that they are a bearing manufacturer in Japan. Someone put the wrong bearing in the box.

Brian
Old 01-07-10, 07:41 PM
YOO
Driver

i bought my KOYOs from CarQuest auto parts for $68. its a pretty good deal i suppose.
Old 05-29-14, 02:20 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol now I know this I pretty late into this thread. But just thought I'd add. I'm replacing my 2 front wheel bearings on my 01' GS430. I'm stuck on weather to go with Timken or Koyo. Relatively the same price range as Sewell Lexus. Quality is speculated to be as well. My mechanic says Timken is a very solid reliable brand. I'm big on Japan products so idk...
Old 06-14-14, 11:46 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Funny thing. I ended up buying the Timken front bearings.. But when the package came thru the mail and I inspected the items, to my surprise they both said Koyo on them ☺ made in Japan. So far so good. After installation. Been driving car feels good. Jest thought I'd share incase this happens to anyone. It's OK. Japan products are never bad to receive lol.
Old 06-14-14, 08:30 PM
bonesnj0
Rookie

Most Japan Bearing's are good Germany better!
Old 06-14-14, 09:27 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesnj0
Most Japan Bearing's are good Germany better!
???

My right rear has been bugging me. I'm getting a deal on an OEM part from the dealer..I also have a local shop who is hooking it up for $250 installed and a case of beer. I thought about buying Oreilly's "Best" quality bearing but since they screwed me over with a set of "direct fit" Oxygen sensors, I think I'll spend the extra money for a dealer bearing.
Old 06-15-14, 08:25 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VIP161

???

My right rear has been bugging me. I'm getting a deal on an OEM part from the dealer..I also have a local shop who is hooking it up for $250 installed and a case of beer. I thought about buying Oreilly's "Best" quality bearing but since they screwed me over with a set of "direct fit" Oxygen sensors, I think I'll spend the extra money for a dealer bearing.
Or look up Timken bearings bro. I'm meticulous with my car. I'll spend the money on OEM parts. But bearings are parts that generally go bad after 30-60k miles. I bought both my front bearings for less then $100 on eBay. I got them installed at my guys shop. Charged me $300 flat. No problems since. I'll post again in a few thousand miles just to make sure it's still working properly. But if you got the money, go for the OEM!! Nothing like OEM on this well built machines. Let us know how it went. And if I were you I'd stick with OEM or Japanese parts for a Lexus. I ordered Timken front bearings and got Koyo MADE IN JAPAN bearings in the box. I totaled how much bearings would cost off of Sewell Parts with my CL discount and all. I would've paid about $50 more for the OEM bearings alone. So I just decided to go with Timken. Very solid brand. Second best behind OEM. And that's what my mechanic told me. He's from Japan and is a licensed and certified technician with a very nice shop in my city.
Old 06-15-14, 11:55 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just replaced front bearings with Timken ones yesterday. Feels like a new car. They were made in japan. First one took awhile because it was first time doing this job but second one went a lot smoother. Parts and tools cost me about $150.
Old 06-16-14, 06:27 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
Just replaced front bearings with Timken ones yesterday. Feels like a new car. They were made in japan. First one took awhile because it was first time doing this job but second one went a lot smoother. Parts and tools cost me about $150.
Glad to hear this bro. Enjoy the fruits of your labor bud. Those bearings should easily last you a good 30-60k miles.. Maybe even more. It all depends on the drivers habits. Mine came in a Timken box but said Koyo on the actual item. Go figure.