GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Windshield replacement 2004 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 10:48 AM
rcorwin125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement 2004 GS 430

Can anyone recommend where to get a replacement front windshield for my 2004 GS 430.
Dealer wants $800 installed and because the windshield has rain/water sensor, I can't find
it available in the aftermarket. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-05, 12:02 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

In my opinion that is not a bad price. I think there is also a coating on the window to keep the wiper blades from chattering. Can anyone confirm?

I had mine replaced by the dealer and had some wind noise afterwards. They fixed it of course, but I think those painted moldings are tricky.
You never know what kinds of problems you will run into with aftermarket parts/installers.
Old 06-17-05, 12:50 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME I see this is your first post
Old 06-17-05, 01:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah from dealer i think 800 installed isn't bad at all.

but i am curious, the gs430 has rain sensing wipers? i don't recall it is auto windshield wipers?
Old 06-17-05, 01:42 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

You do have comprehensive insurance coverage right? If so, you can just pay your comp deductible which usually is less that the collision deductible. Only problem is if your insurance company will let you have the dealer replace it vs. a glass shop. My cheapo CSAA wouldn't pay for the dealer (I would've had to pay the diff btw the glass shop cost of approx $425 vs dealer cost of $800), so I went w/ the glass shop. According the the Dept of Insurance the aftermarket glass (ie. PPG) has to meet all state and federal safety regulations. Only thing missing is the Lexus logo.

Like Henry said, I don't recall any rain sensing option w/ the GS. But there is supposed to be water repelling front side windows though.
Old 06-17-05, 03:42 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JyGS430
You do have comprehensive insurance coverage right? If so, you can just pay your comp deductible which usually is less that the collision deductible. Only problem is if your insurance company will let you have the dealer replace it vs. a glass shop. My cheapo CSAA wouldn't pay for the dealer (I would've had to pay the diff btw the glass shop cost of approx $425 vs dealer cost of $800), so I went w/ the glass shop. According the the Dept of Insurance the aftermarket glass (ie. PPG) has to meet all state and federal safety regulations. Only thing missing is the Lexus logo.

Like Henry said, I don't recall any rain sensing option w/ the GS. But there is supposed to be water repelling front side windows though.
No matter where you have the work done, the most important thing is "HOW" the glass is installed. The critcal part of the install is to keep the area of glass that mounts against the adhesive free from contamination. The area must be COMPLETELY free of dirt and body oil. It is imperative that the installer not touch any part of that glass area.

A few years back, there was a new special on the tube that showed the dangers of improper installation of Front glass. Basically, if not installed properly, the front window can be blown out in an accident cause by the deployment of front air bags. Because of this, the air bag will not provide protection since there's no front window to hold it in place. The news special went on to show how some of these installers handled the glass incorrectly and were completly unaware that body oil from their hand was enough to cause window failure if air bags were ever deployed.

Where you have the job done, make sure they are a competent shop. Stay away from the guys that drive up to your house, wipe the glass with a few paper towels and slap in a window while you wait.
Old 06-17-05, 07:39 PM
danno
Driver School Candidate

Most likley the dealer will call a glass shop to come and install their (dealership) windshield. Car manufacturers dont make their own glass. If you look at enough Toyota or Lexus glass you will note that it will be stamped toyota or lexus and also say PPG, LOF, APTech or whatever glass manufactuer they used when manufacturing your ride. Glass has a helluva markup on it. My price on a GS windshield from PPG is about $85 right now, but it changes a couple of times a year. rheiy is correct about oil from the installers fingertips touching the glass. The key is that the installer must wear his rubber gloves once the glass has been prepped (cleaned and primed) Alot of shops will drive to your house to do the install and there is nothing wrong with that. The advantage of taking your vehicle to the glass shop is that there is a good chance (only a chance) there will be 2 installers available to set your windshield on the adhesive. If you take it to a dealer, they will call their glass shop and most likely (but not always true) the glass shop will send out one tech to replace your windshield.But the upside to this is this tech probably has replaced many GS windshields before (experience). I would call around and see who will honor your request to have 2 installers setting your glass. GS windshield is not hard to replace if the tech has experience with them, but it is slightly awkward compared to other car windshields. I am currently looking for a used GS and one of the first things I look for is if the w/s has been replaced before. I seen some real messed up replacements on GS by inexperenced techs.
Old 06-20-05, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JyGS430
that's what i think too.... i don't think the front windshield on the gs430 has anything special?