ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Illuminated Door Sills for 07-09 Es350.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 11:12 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an easier way to install the door panels. The way you guys have been doing it bends/breaks the long male tab on the outer corner of the doors and just makes it more of a p.i.t.a.. Here's the easier way:

Reinstall - do with your window down
This is to remove the window weatherstripping piece off the door panel that clips onto the top of the actual door.
Put the door panel on the floor face down - look underneath and up at the piece that clips onto the door
Use a flat head and push in the most middle part of each bare stainless steel connector and rotate the flat head. It will release and push the piece off. (If this is not working you are not catching the tiny metal edge)
Clip it back onto the top of the door making sure the male part of the clips are facing towards you.
Line up the biggest male part on the top right corner of the door to the female part on the door panel. This will line up the top right side. Push in. (RH sides) (Reversed for LH side)
Then line up the push fasteners on the left side. This will align all the fasteners of the door and push/bang on the cover until all the fasteners push in. (RH sides) (Reversed for LH side)

Last edited by xanderES; 07-02-13 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 07:42 PM
MadMark
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did this to my 300zx, I wired mine to the open door switch (black rubber plunger in door jam). I wired the units I bought to a constant power source, the ground was made using the door plunger, where the ground circuit closes when the door was open (plunger extended). If you could wire it there, it might be easier than going through the door? What do you guys think about the quality of these units thus far?

Last edited by MadMark; 07-18-13 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-20-13, 01:15 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMark
When I did this to my 300zx, I wired mine to the open door switch (black rubber plunger in door jam). I wired the units I bought to a constant power source, the ground was made using the door plunger, where the ground circuit closes when the door was open (plunger extended). If you could wire it there, it might be easier than going through the door? What do you guys think about the quality of these units thus far?
This won't work for this kit as there is only one connection for all 4 sills, therefore it had to be wired to something that turned on when any door opened ei. The rear door lights or start button. I'm really happy with the quality for the price.
Old 07-21-13, 07:38 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MadMark
You COULD do it this way, the plungers are there. The switch sees 12V at all times, and is grounded when the door is open (plunger extended). The front ones are in a nice location, but the back plunger is near the air bag module. I didnt feel like messing with it, so I did it Sick350's way.

BTW, the quality is very good. The machined metal is on par with OEM. The only complaint is the LED's... I find them a bit too bright and blue (for lack of a better description), I prefer it a bit softer.
Old 07-21-13, 07:46 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SICK350
4. Took the piece of trim under the seat belt off then u have access to the door wiring.
5. Then you can remove the wiring clip to get access to that socket from the inside of the car and fish a wire thru the rubber piece( I used a fish tape).
6. I ran the wire so it would come out from the sound detination plastic just by where the light wire clip is, it should be a blue and red wire. red=positive and blue=negitave
7. I just tapped into it there so I could solder it without being in the car. You can either hook it all up now and leave the other end of the wire under the sill so it's easy to get to when you get your sills in the mail. Make sure you tape both ends there will be power to the wire.

Good Luck

Feel free to ask questions, I may not be the best at explaining everything but it should all make more sense when you start taking the car apart.
So after you fished the wires through the rubber door connector and through where the wiring clip is (interior of car, below seatbelt), did you just re-install the clip after? Its a bit tight with the wiring being pulled through, and I don't want to stress the wire too much.

I think I could have just tapped into the wiring clip directly. I saw the red/blue (22 AWG type wires) on the wiring clip. When I tested the doors, it was showing a constant 12V, but I think I was just impatient because there is a delay on those courtesy lights... You may not even have to pull your door skins afterall.

Also, since this kit connects all 4 sills, what did you use as a pass through to get from the drivers side to the passengers side?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-13, 10:06 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
So after you fished the wires through the rubber door connector and through where the wiring clip is (interior of car, below seatbelt), did you just re-install the clip after? Its a bit tight with the wiring being pulled through, and I don't want to stress the wire too much.

I think I could have just tapped into the wiring clip directly. I saw the red/blue (22 AWG type wires) on the wiring clip. When I tested the doors, it was showing a constant 12V, but I think I was just impatient because there is a delay on those courtesy lights... You may not even have to pull your door skins afterall.

Also, since this kit connects all 4 sills, what did you use as a pass through to get from the drivers side to the passengers side?

Thanks in advance.
Yes I popped the clip back in I just slipped the wire between the cut out in the clip but it was tight, I wanted to tap into it directly but I kept getting constant power while doors were shut for some reason? I ran the wires that came with the kit under the dash to the passenger side, there was just enough wire but again it was tight. Sorry for the delay, hope that helps.
Old 11-23-16, 11:55 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

any idea where to buy these? Don't see it anywhere anymore