Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 (2007 - 2012)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

XM install in Lexus set up for SAT

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-10, 11:30 AM   #1
jhkunkel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 12
Default XM install in Lexus set up for SAT

Help PLEASE everyone seems to have an opinion on what is involved on getting XM working in my 2009 Lexus ES-350. Does anyone have an answer on what exactly is involved? Lexus tells me they can install whatever is needed for $700!! That just seems crazy to me.......
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jhkunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 11:57 AM   #2
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 78,603
Default

still the key is, do you already have the shark fin antenna on the roof (toward the rear windshield)?

all lexus are xm "ready" now, that means nothing but that the front head unit can take xm signals. however, first off for sure you don't have the xm tuner that's absolutely needed. if your car does not have the shark fin on the roof, then that means you don't have the antenna as well. in that case, the lexus factory kit won't work well and it's probably best to go aftermarket
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 12:52 PM   #3
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
lowrideraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,236
Default

Two threads now:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es35...-es-350-a.html

Lou
__________________
2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic - Mine
2008 ES350 - Tungsten Pearl - Hers
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White - Ours
lowrideraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 03:02 PM   #4
jhkunkel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominl View Post
still the key is, do you already have the shark fin antenna on the roof (toward the rear windshield)?

all lexus are xm "ready" now, that means nothing but that the front head unit can take xm signals. however, first off for sure you don't have the xm tuner that's absolutely needed. if your car does not have the shark fin on the roof, then that means you don't have the antenna as well. in that case, the lexus factory kit won't work well and it's probably best to go aftermarket
No the car does not have the "Shark Fin".
Do you know if I can buy an aftermarket unit that will hook up thru the radio? I don't want something sticking out of the cirarette lighter or anything like that. Thanks
jhkunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 08:50 PM   #5
YotaCarFan
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 286
Default

You can buy the factory xm receiver from your dealer. You need to buy two things: the receiver and the installation kit. IIRC, the receiver runs about $300 and the kit about $75. The electronics go behind the trunk wall and thus don't show. The antenna is a black lump about 1.5" square that sticks to the trunk lid. It's not very attractive, but isn't too noticeable. You can paint it to match if desired.


Any aftermarket kits will need power from the cig lighter (but you could theoretically splice in to the car's 12v harness somewhere hidden).
YotaCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 10:33 PM   #6
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 78,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaCarFan View Post
You can buy the factory xm receiver from your dealer. You need to buy two things: the receiver and the installation kit. IIRC, the receiver runs about $300 and the kit about $75. The electronics go behind the trunk wall and thus don't show. The antenna is a black lump about 1.5" square that sticks to the trunk lid. It's not very attractive, but isn't too noticeable. You can paint it to match if desired.


Any aftermarket kits will need power from the cig lighter (but you could theoretically splice in to the car's 12v harness somewhere hidden).
no... not necessarily. vaistech has perfect xm radio setup and it's completely plug and back to the back of the factory radio, and nothing is shown except the antenna, which is the same case for factory setup anyway. and more than likely aftermarket setup is cheaper than factory. i have installed a few aftermarket setup on lexus, never had to cut or tap on any wires, everything is concealed, and work perfectly
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 10:36 PM   #7
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 78,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkunkel View Post
No the car does not have the "Shark Fin".
Do you know if I can buy an aftermarket unit that will hook up thru the radio? I don't want something sticking out of the cirarette lighter or anything like that. Thanks
as i mentioned, no cigarette power (i'd never put those stuff in my car anyway). i have done a few vaistech, everything is plugged to the back of the head unit, all controls done through the head unit as it's supposed to be, and xm through the factory speakers.
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 05:34 AM   #8
jhkunkel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 12
Default

Romini,
This sounds exactly like what I would be looking for. Do you know where I can buy this, and who can I contact to install it.
Very helpful info, Thanks Very Much!
jhkunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 05:34 AM
 
Reply
 
 
 

Tags
2009, 350, aftermarket, compatible, fin, install, lexus, needed, ready, receiver, rx350, shark, trunk, xm, xmready

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | JOBS


Get all contact info

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2