ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Locked key in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 06:56 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked key in trunk

My mom is out right now and she locked the key in the trunk and she can't open the doors, I thought she should be able to open the doors because the alarm fob should be in range for keyless entry, but I guess I'm wrong. Now i have to drive an hour to get to her location. Just for future reference, what is the range for the keyless entry?
Old 06-05-06, 07:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

????? just how far away is she from the car. I do not have an ES, but maybe it's just the way you worded this, just does not make sense. As far as I know, the alarm fob should open the doors for keyless entry so she can pop the trunk from the inside, however if she has this particular feature turned off, then nothing. Question, if key is in trunk, how does she have alarm fob???? most people have together.
Most of the time, range for the keyless entry is about 50 ft.. I'm not trying to be be smart with my response, I just can't get a clear picture of what actually happened by the way in which you worded this. So please don't take my reply as trying to be offensive.
Old 06-05-06, 07:06 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

sorry, by key, i meant alarm fob, its in the trunk. shes pulling on the door handles and pushing the buttons on the handles (i have no idea what they're for) and the car just makes a long beep.
Old 06-05-06, 07:06 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Unhappy Locked in trunk?

How did she lock the keys in the trunk? This is the keyless/touchless entry with push start in the new ES350 right? From the demo at the dealership, it looked like you could not lock the key inside the vehicle. When the key is taken OUT of the car, you can press the little black button on the handle and the car locks. When you come back and approach the vehicle and press the black button, it unlocks. The vehicle could not be locked with the key in the vehicle, but then again, the salesperson didn't demonstrate the above with the key in the trunk, just on the front seat.

It would be interesting if it's true that you CAN lock the keys in the trunk.
Old 06-05-06, 07:08 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

she had the remote in her purse and she put it in the trunk and she closed it before unlocking the car.
Old 06-05-06, 07:15 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

OK, I think I know what may be going on. From past experience with a friends MB with similar setup, the keyless entry is a great feature, however the key has to be in clear range for the car to read the presence of the key on your person. The fact that the key is in the trunk doesn't let the sensor get a clear and accurate reading of the key being near the car since the sensor for this feature is located near the front of the car. Again, I do not have an ES, and am basing this from another car with similar setup. Basically as long as it's on your person or out in plain view, somewhere where the computer can get a good signal from the fob, then it will open. In the trunk this same feature will not work,, no clear signal. the beeping that she is hearing is just an audible alarm letting her know that the car thinks that there is no fob present for it to read, even though you would think so being in the trunk. Bottom, line.....time to go rescue mom.
Old 06-05-06, 07:36 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

You mentioned that she tried the doors, it may seem obvious but did she try the trunk release button on the trunk itself? Unless the sensor can read from the outside only, it should be close enough to that 1.
Old 06-05-06, 08:30 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

Well the test results are in ( I had to wait for my wife to come home with the back-up set) & we threw her purse into the trunk, I left my key inside the house and your mom was right, the doors wouldn't open. But the trunk would. We even placed the purse behind a large bucket of kitty litter that I hadn't brought in yet and we had no problem. So you gotta ask your mom, did she try the trunk?
Old 06-05-06, 09:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CyclopStan
Well the test results are in ( I had to wait for my wife to come home with the back-up set) & we threw her purse into the trunk, I left my key inside the house and your mom was right, the doors wouldn't open. But the trunk would. We even placed the purse behind a large bucket of kitty litter that I hadn't brought in yet and we had no problem. So you gotta ask your mom, did she try the trunk?
Wow, good advice.
Old 06-05-06, 10:28 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

well I rescued her, good thing she was with her friend and not far from her house. I didn't realize there was a trunk button until I got there because the dealer tried to open the trunk at the dealership and he couldnt find the button either At least next time we know what to do.
Old 06-06-06, 06:29 AM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indelible
well I rescued her, good thing she was with her friend and not far from her house. I didn't realize there was a trunk button until I got there because the dealer tried to open the trunk at the dealership and he couldnt find the button either At least next time we know what to do.
same thing happened to one of the IS2 owners. Dealer did not know there was a trunk button, and had to break something in order to get into the car.
The following users liked this post:
Thompson17 (03-21-23)
Old 06-06-06, 08:46 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Glad everything worked out, and now you have definite answers for next time. Sorry I couldnt be more help as I do not own this car.