ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 ES300 Rear Driver Side Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 07:08 AM
dejanuts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 ES300 Rear Driver Side Window Problem

Hello,

My 2003 ES300 rear, driver side window won't open. When I hit the button (which the light does work) I hear a soft click and then nothing. Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this or thoughts as to what the cause may be?
Old 04-20-10, 02:50 PM
ybittu
Driver School Candidate

Could be one of these two things.

1. Motor might be burnt out.
2. Mechanical issue where window glass is stuck.

Even if motor is burnt I would check for #2 , since stuck glass could have damaged the motor by overheating.

Do you know what is estimated cost for these kind of repairs? I am planning to purchase 2004 used one with both rear window non-functioning. So trying to get an idea about the repair work involved.

Good Luck with yours and thanks,
Old 04-20-10, 03:02 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the same year of ES as you and had a similar problem several years ago. Someone recommended I hold down or up (can't remember which) the window button on the door with the problematic window and slam the door (not excessively hard, more firmly) at the same time. It took several tries but it actually worked, I guess it reaffirms a connection that becomes loss. The window hasn't caused a problem since.
The following users liked this post:
79rebel (07-11-17)
Old 04-20-10, 04:24 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
The following users liked this post:
79rebel (07-11-17)
Old 05-30-11, 02:43 PM
Conradt
Driver School Candidate

Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction. I didn't believe it when I read this but I tried it any way. It worked! I can't believe it. Thank you so much. I save me from having to open up the door and etc.
Old 05-21-12, 11:46 AM
geddymd72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Conradt
Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction. I didn't believe it when I read this but I tried it any way. It worked! I can't believe it. Thank you so much. I save me from having to open up the door and etc.
I had this problem as well and never fixed it for years. I can't remember which rear door it was, but after doing this (think it was the passenger rear, which is harder to perform without 2 people), they both work fine now. I can't believe that I didn't end up trying this by accident. Mine started working after only 2 closures.
Old 07-01-12, 04:27 PM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Unbelievable. Both the rear windows had this problem. One got fixed with this closing and opening thing. Other one - i guess that one has real problem.
Old 02-08-13, 10:32 PM
JWRussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2006 ES 330 - had a similar problem. Start the engine, Go around to the left rear door and get in. Hold down the window button while slamming the door. Might need to do it 3 or 4 times, worked for me the first time.

Thank you, whom ever first posted this fix.
Old 06-22-13, 05:00 PM
lwvetter
Driver School Candidate

Default 1 of 2 doors worked

This worked on my right rear door (both stopped working.) My left rear still won't go down. I'll give it a try again later. Otherwise it looks like I need to learn how to expose the window and motor (yuck)

Thanks for the solution for at least one of my windows.
Old 06-22-13, 05:47 PM
coffee4000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just solved this issue with my rear window. The "slamming" thing didn't work. I had to take the panel off the inside of the door to expose the 4 bolts holding the window motor to the door. I loosed the bolts a couple of turns to give the motor some wiggle room. I then attached the door panel and did the "slamming" thing. This caused it to work. I think by loosing the bolts, the motor and the regulator assembly was able to drop drown a millimeter or two and free ( . . . or unjam ) itself.

From what I read . . . .the window regulator extends to far in the "up" position causing it to freeze. By loosen the bolts . . . the unit has room to unjam itself. Give it a try. You have nothing to loose. You don't even have to remove the inside door panel. Just pull it off and let it hang by some rods and speaker wires. You'll have room to loose the four bots. Use a 10mm socket to loosen them.
Old 10-13-15, 09:08 AM
MrBsfirst
Driver School Candidate

By using the door slam method, I was able to get both rear windows operating again! My humble guess is that they may freeze up from NOT being used and even possibly the idea of the top of the window forming a seal of sorts with the rubber seal so once the windows went down, I cleaned and lubricated all the seals. So far so good!
Old 07-11-17, 10:41 AM
79rebel
Driver School Candidate

2003 ES300, This fixed my rear passenger side door, but it took about 4 or 5 different attempts. Best of all, it also fixed the FRONT passenger side door, but it was a little more stubborn.
Old 07-11-17, 10:44 AM
79rebel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSM1284
ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
Is there anywhere I can find more info or detail on the TSIB for cushions on the window frame?