ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1995 lexus es300 driver window issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 05:29 PM
igbeserk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 lexus es300 driver window issues

so i got this es300 which i purchased back in jan. never was able to get the window to work. so i've been fixing up the other issues before i bothered with the window... Anyways today i decided to take a look at it. because before i replaced the drivers switch thinking it was the issue but when i used a multimeter everything came out fine. so it must be the motor or wires. i took the inner door side off. and i applied some pressure on the window. The window started to work!

so i tested it a few times because it seemed to be kind of sluggish and then it just stopped working... so i couldn't get the window back up i tried to investigate more taking off the restraints and all. anyways the motor does work but it only works when i remove the cable that pulls the window up and down from it. also the wires seem to be iffy like i have to mess with them or possibly angle them to get them working. i spent hours on this and called it quits because it got dark.

I really don't know how to go about this. on friday if it's a good day i will take the panel apart again and try to work on the motor and cables... currently the motor and the piece that winds the cable are removed. the window is being held up because i tied the cable around inside the door frame, i'll have to tape it also because it doesn't want to fully stay up...

i don't want to buy another motor cuz the motor seems to be fine plus it's not cheap on ebay and i'd have to buy the cables and frame along with them but i'm pretty sure it's the cables and the wires.

Any advice, pics or helps? i would really appreciate it.
Old 03-01-09, 05:58 PM
capnfred
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beserk, I have a 93 ES, had the same problem, I had the regulator completely out, found out that even though the motor ran ok, the drive mechanism was fubar, tried to fix it with epoxy, but found getting the wire back on the spool once it was bent just a bit was next to impossible, ended up getting one from a scrapyard here, works fine last long time. BTW the cause for the failure was two layers of tinting on the window, which appears to have put undue stress on the system, resulting in mechanical failure. Before you do anything else, sort out the electrical problems, ie having to bend the wires a certain way, I had a broken wire between the switch in the drivers door and the passenger door switch, which was strange as it was right in the middle of the harness from the door to the jbox in the drivers kick panel..... a short piece of wire and and a few crimp bullet connectors and some electricians tape and voila, all the windows work. If you like I can check the yard here and see if they still have a drivers front regulator for your car, I forgot how much I paid, but $65 seems to be about right, this yard treats the Lexus the same as any other mass produced car, they do not put it on a pedastal and charge outrageous prices for junk as most yards do. I Paid 25 for the antenna, 65 for cluster, c omplete set of seats 200, radio, amp, and cd changer for less thn 100, plus lots of other bits.... have been restoring a butchered car back to factory specs, cause I think its apretty car and nice to drive.... but she has been keeping me busy these past few weeks.....If you want to talk about this further emailme at capnfred57@yahoo.com
Old 03-01-09, 08:23 PM
Cali Kid
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problems as you guys. Only one of my windows has not gone out yet. Two by regulator, and the third by a small plastic part that held the wire which broke when I hit a dip. I wish the previous owners would have taken care of it better. I am also trying to get it back to its original state.
Old 03-01-09, 09:21 PM
igbeserk
Driver School Candidate

hard to say can't be too sure the wire is messed up looks a bit cut up at a certain part i dunno if it's later on in the wire if there's a problem... i guess my best bet is just to buy a whole other regulator? because the motor is out and the wheel that was connected to it with the cables are kind of out. so i don't even know yet if i could put it back together since the cables fell out and i don't know the original position. but it might not be so hard. the motor works, wires seem to have some issues and of course the motor doesn't want to work with the wheel when the cables are wrapped around it. it just started snowing tonight. had to tape my window... not all the way up either so damn frustrated...

if you could capnfred to get me a price and see if that junk yard has anymore that'd be nice. i have to check locally here also.
Old 03-02-09, 10:38 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

this issue is usually caused by the motor.

i notice when you mention that you gave the window a little nudge and the window will start working. given that evidence, i can conclude it is the motor.

i had this problem awhile back on the driver side , and i decided to switch the bottom portion of the motor of the passenger side and switch it over the drive side.

and driver side works!
Old 03-02-09, 10:49 AM
igbeserk
Driver School Candidate

yea possibly is the motor but without the wheel in the middle the motor works fine. maybe the motor isn't strong enough to apply the force to move the wheel or maybe the cables that wrap around the wheel have issues and need to be loosened to realigned somewhere... but yea i ordered a window regulator from ebay this morning. just gonna replace the whole thing and hopefully i don't have anymore issues. I really hope it's a warm weekend and the part comes in before then too.
Old 03-02-09, 10:54 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

awesome! good luck. yeah i did the same. i bought a another window regulator with motor at a junk yard for 50 dollars. works fine.
Old 03-04-09, 03:56 PM
igbeserk
Driver School Candidate

cool the window regulator motor just came in, won't have a chance to put it in until saturday. i could probably put it in friday which would be best since it's gonna rain that night. but i have alot of things to do that day. anyways, is there anything i should do? maybe use some wd-40? or other lubricant to make sure the regulator doesn't mess up on me or something? How long would the job take? and is it a real pain?

Also can anyone help me with my window washers? i can't get it to shoot out any fluid. i tried cleaning the nozzles with a needle but that didn't help... but i dunno...
Old 03-07-09, 01:05 PM
igbeserk
Driver School Candidate

well that was a complete failure. tested the regulator before i put it in and worked fine. put it in connected the window and all. tried to go down it worked. tried to go up and the white part that holds the cables in place just split apart. tried to use my old one but the cables were giving me issues. so yea i need to buy another. or at least get new cables and the white part that holds the cables together. trying to align it with the coils though is quite a pain. headache headache
Old 06-11-17, 07:21 AM
marjaz
Driver

Default Passenger front window, drivers side rear window

This is on a 94 ES300. With the front passenger window, it will work when It wants to, when I attempt to put the window down using the drivers side controls, it may or may not work, mostly it doesnt but sometimes it will go down but will not come back up from the drivers side controls but when I reach over and use the passenger side control It will go back up. Some days neither control will work. The only windows that will work on a constant basis is the rear passenger window and the drivers side window while using the drivers side controls. The rear drivers side window will not work period using the drivers controls or the door itself control.
Old 06-11-17, 01:46 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by marjaz
This is on a 94 ES300. With the front passenger window, it will work when It wants to, when I attempt to put the window down using the drivers side controls, it may or may not work, mostly it doesnt but sometimes it will go down but will not come back up from the drivers side controls but when I reach over and use the passenger side control It will go back up. Some days neither control will work. The only windows that will work on a constant basis is the rear passenger window and the drivers side window while using the drivers side controls. The rear drivers side window will not work period using the drivers controls or the door itself control.
Most likely the switch assembly. I'd pull the same one from a junkyard car and swap it, takes but a minute.
The following users liked this post:
marjaz (06-11-17)