ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Door Locks Programable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 09:25 PM
Robin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door Locks Programable?

Just bought my first Lexus - a 2002 ES 300. Great car, but the locks are driving me crazy. Too many buttons to push. I've owned Lincolns and Chysler products (Jeep) where the door locks could be programmed so that ALL doors would unlock when you stop the car, and ALL doors unlock when you hit the remote button once.

I asked the dealer if he could program my new ES 300 to do that and he said he didn't know?

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Is it possible on higher end models, like the LS?

Thanks,
Robin
Old 11-12-01, 10:45 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Unlock

This is definitely a programmable feature. The C-Best options must be changed by the dealer, you have a few options - One is to do nothing and use the remote/key as it is currently programmed and "double click" the unlock button this will unlock all doors. Your second is to have the C-Best options changed to unlock when you put the car into park. I don't think there is an option to single click and unlock all doors - it is mainly a safety issue. With the rash of car jackings a few years back security experts felt it was imprudent to unlock all of the vehicles doors (inviting a would be car jacker into your car) as an automatic function, but to make it more of a "conscious effort of the operator". THis was most certainly a result of some trigger happy lawyers going after car manufacturer's in injury type cases for car jackings, saying that the manufacturer of a high end auto should have taken the necessary precautions to protect it's operator etc, etc. The single click all -unlock may be available, but most dealers will be reluctant to do it. I would be too. You have to weigh out the inconvenience vs. added risk factors to decide what is best for you. Good Luck with the car and welcome to the Club.
Old 11-12-01, 07:35 PM
Robin
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Locks

Thanks, Johnny

I have an appointment on Thursday, so I'll have them program the locks. Do you know what else is programmable via C-Best settings?

I've found, in the few days that I've owned a Lexus, that they are extremely sensitive to fear of litigation - more so than other recent vehicles I have owned. Examples.... many GPS functions are "greyed out" while car is in gear (including selection of POI's which makes no sense at all). Never mind that the "navigator" may be sitting in the passenger seat. Also, you must physically answer the GPS disclaimer, not once, but every single time you start the engine for as long as you own the car. GEESH!!

Also, I find it more than a little offensive that I must buy expensive premium fuel, just so Lexus can boast lower emmission numbers.

But I do like the car :-)

Robin
Old 05-14-02, 06:33 AM
commack4
Driver

Default 1 button door unlock

This is a c-best function that CAN be modified by the dealer. It is something less than a 5 minute task via the dealer....I just had it done.
Old 05-14-02, 12:45 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the higher octane fuel is not just for the emissions. it is for the performance of the car. and, if your car is specifically required for 93 then you need to put 93 in there. especially if you own an ls. higher compression ratios are in these engines, and without the richer fuel, you can ping
Old 05-14-02, 08:31 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin,

Look inside your '02 ES owner's manual.
There's a section that details how you can program the door lock/unlock settings, such as lock when switching out of park and unlock when switching into park.
Just a little note that the front doors can be opened even with the door locked. So I find it unnecessary and a possible safety risk to have all doors unlocked automatically.

As for the remote's lock/unlock setting, I believe you'll need to bring that to the dealer. I agree with Johnny Mo as to the rationale behind the way the remote currently unlocks the doors.

You will not harm the engine by using regular unleaded in your new ES. Lexus is partly depending on the use of premium unleaded for the increased performance (over the Camry version of this engine, which uses regular unleaded) and reduced emissions.