ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Newest Problem - Power Locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 12:10 PM
skeemer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newest Problem - Power Locks

Today started off like any normal day, I went to work and came home around 11:30 or so. Nothing out of the ordinary with my car. About 2 oclock I go outside to drive across campus and I hear a rapid clicking sound coming from my car. My keyless entry wouldnt work, and i used the key to open the door. The sound sounded like it was coming from the door, right around the power lock toggle. Tried to use the toggle both ways, and it didn't do anything, the clicking continued (this clicking is about 5 times a second or so).

Tried to start the car, no dice. Not even the starter fires, the key just turns and theres nothing at all. Checked the fuses, all of them are intact. Noticed the dome light and door lights were flickering, changing the dome light to OFF changed the speed of the clicking sometimes, and other times stopped it, and other times did nothing. I also played with the buttons that depress when the door is closed to turn off the light. Finally decided to detach the battery cables and let the computer restart. Left it unplugged for about an hour, reattached the cables and the engine beeped at me (I've never disconnected the battery before so I don't know if this is normal), sounded like it was coming from the alternator area. Clicking continued but sometimes stopped or changed speeds. Last idea was to take apart my key fob incase it was sending a bad signal, but that didn't do anything either.

Any ideas? I'm sure its something electronic but I'm unfamiliar with car electronics and am out of ideas. The noise stopped for good now, but the car still won't start. The battery is only a 1.5 years old (Die Hard Silver). This is a 92 ES btw.

To summarize:

1. Power locks are clicking
2. Disconnecting battery did nothing except make the engine beep when reconnected.
3. Interior lights flicker with clicking, dome light switch changes things but not consistently.
4. Fuses OK.
5. Car won't start, the starters don't even click.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by skeemer; 11-13-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 10:20 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

My mom's ES (sold) had a similar problem, though not as drastic as yours. After she'd get into the car and shut the door, the door locks would make the unlock sound, sometimes twice. There was a situation where when she was filling gas, as soon as she opened the door to get back in, the horn (alarm) started beeping. Took it in to the dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong. It would happen once in a while. She had a '98.
Old 11-14-04, 10:29 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Re: Newest Problem - Power Locks

Originally posted by skeemer
Today started off like any normal day, I went to work and came home around 11:30 or so. Nothing out of the ordinary with my car. About 2 oclock I go outside to drive across campus and I hear a rapid clicking sound coming from my car. My keyless entry wouldnt work, and i used the key to open the door. The sound sounded like it was coming from the door, right around the power lock toggle. Tried to use the toggle both ways, and it didn't do anything, the clicking continued (this clicking is about 5 times a second or so).

Tried to start the car, no dice. Not even the starter fires, the key just turns and theres nothing at all. Checked the fuses, all of them are intact. Noticed the dome light and door lights were flickering, changing the dome light to OFF changed the speed of the clicking sometimes, and other times stopped it, and other times did nothing. I also played with the buttons that depress when the door is closed to turn off the light. Finally decided to detach the battery cables and let the computer restart. Left it unplugged for about an hour, reattached the cables and the engine beeped at me (I've never disconnected the battery before so I don't know if this is normal), sounded like it was coming from the alternator area. Clicking continued but sometimes stopped or changed speeds. Last idea was to take apart my key fob incase it was sending a bad signal, but that didn't do anything either.

Any ideas? I'm sure its something electronic but I'm unfamiliar with car electronics and am out of ideas. The noise stopped for good now, but the car still won't start. The battery is only a 1.5 years old (Die Hard Silver). This is a 92 ES btw.

To summarize:

1. Power locks are clicking
2. Disconnecting battery did nothing except make the engine beep when reconnected.
3. Interior lights flicker with clicking, dome light switch changes things but not consistently.
4. Fuses OK.
5. Car won't start, the starters don't even click.

Thanks guys.

your battery is WAY dead, my 90 ES250 did the same thing after leaving the headlights on for 4 hours. connect a jumpercable set to it from another car and charge for about 20 minutes, it shoudl crank right up!

the beepjng you heard was the ECU, its normal.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-14-04 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-15-04, 11:10 AM
skeemer
Driver School Candidate

Good news everyone

Thanks for all the input guys. I took my battery to Sears today and sure enough it flunked their charger, so I got a brand new battery. This makes me happy because it lets me know it was the battery and not a power leak somewhere that was draining it.

And the lock problem is gone, must have been because of the low battery like you guys suggested.

Thanks for all the help.