ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission & power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 07:40 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Transmission & power steering fluid

It's been mentioned (advised actually) that I use "Toyota" automatic transmission fluid (instead of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF). Can anybody explain why exactly?

- Also when doing a "transmission tune up" can you tell me if I need to change any filters & / or gaskets?

- Finally, when I do the service, I want to get 100% of the fluid changed with that T-Tech fluid change machine that lot's of auto shops have.......can anybody provide me with the exact capacity of the transmission & how much fluid I will need? (in litres & gallons if possible).

- What type of power steering fluid do I need? (the dealership has ordered an owners manual for me & will be in soon I hope)
Old 01-23-04, 09:52 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are the best answers I can give to you

If you just want to do a tranny fluid flush only, then no filter or gasket will be changed. The bigger service or "tune-up" of the transmission will most likely require replacement of the filter and gasket. I had the tranny service done at an independent shop for my '96 ES a few yrs ago, requiring replacement of those items.

If you choose to completely change out the tranny fluid, I believe it requires 16 L of Toyota ATF Type T-IV fluid (you can purchase at Toyota for cheaper price). This is the number I got for the service of a GS, and it should relatively be the same for the ES. You can give the service dept. a call and confirm the capacity for the tranny fluid.

The power steering fluid is ATF Dexron II or III (either one will work). In case you're interested, the PS fluid should be changed every 60K miles under normal conditions.
Old 01-23-04, 10:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

This helps me out quite a bit actually , thanks so much! One other thing, I will most likely do a "complete" tune up on the transmission........I assume the filter & gasket can be purchased as a "kit" kind of thing at either the Lexus or Toyota dealer?

And you say to ONLY use the Toyota ATF as opposed to the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? What about the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for the power steering fluid? IT meets Dexron II & III specs. Thanks for the service interval as well.
Old 01-23-04, 10:22 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure the tranny filter and gasket items are stand-alone items and sold separately, but of course both must be purchased at the same time for the complete tranny service. I just checked the prices for those items from http://www.newlexusparts.com. The filter costs roughly $40, and the gasket is about $9.

I don't have the owner's manual on me right now (I'm at work), but from some of the paperwork I have, it just reads "ATF" for the power steering fluid type. It didn't mention anything about having it to be "Toyota", so I believe you're safe to use the Mobil kind if you choose (as long as it meets the Dexron req's).

Hope this helps
Old 01-23-04, 11:02 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

I appreciate your in depth help with my questions lexusk8, I will be sure to double check the owners manual once I pick up the car (and the owners manual arrives).

Are you 110% sure I can't use the synthetic ATF for the tranny tune up? 'm gonna ask the service department at the Lexus dealer as well.