ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Why does the 2007 ES350 shake.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 05:12 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cibola, unfortunately most of the time when people post like the OP we never hear back from them regarding the resolution. Could it be an bent axle issue? Possibly. Though it is more likely something like out of round tires or a bad alignment is the culprit.
I have been a member of these boards since late 06 and have never heard of axle issues from owners. I even did a quick search to make sure. This definitely doesn't seem like a widespread problem if it even is a manufacturing issue.
I personally wouldnt even trust NTA/NTSB complaints. They managed to get thru a "unintended acceleration" recall because of owner improperly installed floor mats! While the widespread problem of the material of the dashs melting turning sticky and shiny has never been resolved.
Old 11-19-14, 06:51 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cibola
Well,
Just picked up my car from the Dealership and had to pay a hefty repair bill, over $900! They have no clue why, had no explanation why, and couldn’t tell me why, just that the passenger axle was bent. The only clue I was given is that perhaps it was defective from the factory?

Of course they were not going to admit this is a factory problem, why would they? But if you read all the blogs, this is an ongoing issue. Watch for a silent factory recall, I am, for getting my money back is always a good thing.

Little upset. Really, a front axle bending on acceleration? I was in a left hand turn lane, the light turned green I pushed go and started my merge. Then about 30 yards on the ramp the front right wheel felt like the anti-lock was engaging for about 2 second and poof, it stopped and the vibration started.

So are you telling me a Lexus ES 350, with 72,000 on it, always professionally serviced, driven mostly highway miles, bends an axle on giving it gas? All So Cal, no bad weather, never off road, never in snow, hardly any rain miles, garaged every day. Never hit a pot hole, never a curb, this is my company car, I am the only person other than techs that has ever driven it.

This is obviously a defective axle system and this should be a recall. Step up to the plate Lexus, recall this part!

I love Lexus, even bought the first one that one car of the year man, many moons ago. Remember, if you have any weird front end vibration issues, of course check all the obvious easy ones, tires, rims, hubs, brakes but if they all check out, you need to replace the axle. What a complete joke folks.
In one word - Unbelievable!
Old 11-20-14, 07:44 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Cibola, I can sense your frustration. If I was asked to pay for a repair of any kind and cost, I would certainly ask questions and make sure that I understand why I am paying for it.

Bent axles are not a common problem for ES, or any other Lexus, to my knowledge. If the shaft was bent from the factory you would have felt the vibration from day 1, and to bend it requires extreme off-roading or road impact to do so...

My guess is that a bearing inside either CV joint failed (the noise you heard) followed by vibration. This could have been caused by anything: curbing, pot hole, man-hole, street-drain cover, etc. and it may have happened (started) at any point in your 4 years of ownership and 70K miles, and it finally gave out now...
Old 11-20-14, 07:20 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

!st I always ask for the old parts back or at least have them show me the damaged part. I go by "trust but verify".
Old 11-24-14, 09:07 AM
Cibola
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Cibola, I can sense your frustration. If I was asked to pay for a repair of any kind and cost, I would certainly ask questions and make sure that I understand why I am paying for it.

Bent axles are not a common problem for ES, or any other Lexus, to my knowledge. If the shaft was bent from the factory you would have felt the vibration from day 1, and to bend it requires extreme off-roading or road impact to do so...

My guess is that a bearing inside either CV joint failed (the noise you heard) followed by vibration. This could have been caused by anything: curbing, pot hole, man-hole, street-drain cover, etc. and it may have happened (started) at any point in your 4 years of ownership and 70K miles, and it finally gave out now...
Igzy, thanks for the info. It is a 2012 but I drive a lot everyday. Nope never hit anything, pretty careful. New tires checked four times for defects, rims, hubs, calipers etc. Balanced multiple times. Even hitting a pot hole, axle should not bend? It would have to destroy the rim too, to be that bad? Been driving for over 40 years. Never have I bent an axle.

I did not pick up the bad one, stupid now that I think about it. I would bet it was the bearing. Even then, I have had bearing go bad, but bending an axle, at about 35mph? Sounds like a cheap axle to me? I will call the dealership to see if they still have it.

The car is now smooth as silk, and yes it feels better than ever but I can't remember how it was at purchase.

I still find it hard to believe a Lexus, low miles would have a problem like this, or ever. Had them with over 200 and a Legand with 285. Bent axle, really? Even bought the kids used ones for first cars, they are usually bulletproof. Have you seen teenagers park? never a bent axle.

Filed a formal complaint with Lexus, let's see how the react. Normally fantastic customer care. Thanks everyone for the info. I will post the outcome with Lexus.
Old 11-24-14, 06:57 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

These driveaxles have no more problems than those on any other front wheel drive car. I think the problem here is that the dealer used the term "bent" to explain what the issue was with the driveaxle. Basically the RH driveaxle is comprised of two, about 1" diameter, straight steel round bar sections and two constant velocity (CV) joints, the boots that keep the grease in and the environment (dirt/grit, water, salt) out of each joint, and one support ball bearing. Some driveaxles also have a vibration damper about mid-length (I think I've seen them on my car) along the bar section. Both CV joints are there to allow for an angular change that ocurres with movement of the suspension and/or the steering angle of the wheel, plus the inner CV joint "slips" to allow for a change of length that is required due to suspension travel. And of course the driveaxle also has to transmit the power (it is subjected to a fair amount of torque) from the engine/transmisson to the wheel. A splined shaft outboard of, and part of, the outer CV joint also locates the wheel bearing and the wheel hub in the steering knuckle when the wheel bearing nut is torqued to spec. The steel bar section/s are not going to actually "bend" unless they have taken some kind of heavy force/impact. The CV joints are comprised of several closely machined, heat treated/case hardened parts (that are prone to corrosion if not protected) that can rapidly wear if the boot has been damaged, for example. They could also "fail" like any other frictionless bearing (ball, roller, needle) due to the same manufacturing processes used. The RH driveshaft does also have the standard ball bearing that I mentioned above that could also fail. Any kind of appreciable wear of one or more parts could cause "looseness" that could generate a vibration particularly under a load like under heavy acceleration. As someone also stated above I believe the OP's vibration problem had a worn/failed CV joint or intermediate support bearing failure as the root cause.