ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

04 Lexus ES330 speakers sound like poop

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 07:40 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 04 Lexus ES330 speakers sound like poop

Got http://www.ebay.com/itm/252191862332?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and it has a couple of problems, though I don't think it's the stereos fault. I also used the Metra Axxess TYTO-01, as this car had the Navigation Unit. But the speakers sound really bad, and can't handle much of any bass or turning up the volume doesn't get it loud enough. Speakers sound really raspy.

Also Amazon review suggests that the TYTO-01 has a volume control that you adjust with a screw driver. Which means I probably have to take it apart to adjust it. Did anyone else run into this problem?

Also what is the quality of the speakers that come with the car? To me they can't handle much, and was thinking of replacing them, but don't know much about the speakers or the cars built in amp.

Here's the quote I found on Amazon.
Also, keep in mind that there is a 'volume' **** on this harness interface. I turned mine up about 90% and the volume is great and I can't imagine needing any more. Some reviewers complained of a lower volume, and this could be the reason...they might need to adjust it. You just adjust it with a phillips head screw driver.
Old 12-28-15, 07:05 AM
atlcal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your interface just needs to have a little level matching performed. Basically, you need to set the volume on your radio to about 75% of maximum, ie. if it goes to 40, then set it to 30. Play some music, and adjust the interface until it is good and loud. This way, if you have a source material that is recorded very low, you'll have enough headroom to crank it up. Don't go overboard, you don't want the radio blasting away when only at 25-30% of the maximum level, as this will reduce the number of steps between low/high volume, and may introduce alternator whine/hiss into the system.
Old 12-28-15, 09:43 AM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Well I played with the TYTO-01 adapter and a little turn will do a lot for volume. Just take a philips screw driver and turned it a little bit clockwise. So it's good and loud, but the speakers still sound bad. Gonna replace them when I have the time. I believe 6.5 speakers will fit for both front and back?
Old 12-31-15, 03:50 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

On my 2005 ES330 with the stock Lexus Premium Sound system, the speaker sound quality is pretty bad, especially for a premium car and with a dedicated subwoofer. It has less bass and sounds worse than my friend's 99 ES300, and worse than the stock JBL sound system in my 99 Solara.
Old 01-01-16, 03:30 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

That's what I figured. The TYTO-01 adapter isn't of high quality and kinda figured out why the volume is set so low by default, because you hear clicks and pops when you raise it up. So I raised it up just enough that it isn't too noticeable. But still the Bass and Treble settings have to be low because otherwise it sounds bad. It just sounds like the speakers can't handle it.

So in the near future I'm going to replace them with just anything. Even cheap speakers will sound better than this.

Here's the adapter needed to install 6.5 speakers on all 4 doors. I have a spare sub I just don't remember what size it was.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391015375698?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-02-16, 09:45 AM
atlcal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you adjust the adapter as I suggested in an earlier post? If you're hearing a ticking noise when adjust volume/bass/treble, it is likely set too high. The job of the adapter is simple, it's just reducing the voltage going to the factory amplifier from the amplified outputs of the aftermarket radio. It could also be the quality of the source since it's decoding the source material, then putting it through the radio's internal amplifier, then out to the adapter, which drops the voltage back down for the factory amp, which then amplifies the signal back up to the speakers. Lots of places for noise and distortion to enter the chain, I've used this brand's adapters without issue in many installs. If the signal is getting distorted at fairly low volume, it still sounds like a level matching issue.
Old 01-04-16, 03:57 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

The volume is lowered on the stereo unless I want it louder. The adapter is set to the volume I want it at. What I'll do in the future is put a filter onto the power line going to the radio to help clean up any noise it's picking up from the engine, cause I figure that's where the clicks and pops I hear sometimes are coming from. I also plan to upgrade the speakers, but I may wait for favorable weather. I don't have a garage to do this in and it suddenly got freakin cold. Stupid El Nino, where's my global warming?