Originally Posted by NYC ES3
This thread is completely useless. Dude fixes the issue and doesnt say how....man delete this crap
On second thought, dont delete it cuz I found something that may be somewhat useful and because this happened to me during a state inspection.
So he plugs in the diagnostic scan reader into my cars OBD (on 2002 ES) it is the white in the foot well right above where your calves would be if your feet would be in the foot well on the drivers side.
and all of a sudden I get the VSC OFF and TRAC OFF lights on and they stay on. I shut off car and turn back on- lights go away then come back when I drive a few feet.
IF you are having this issue
- it is that the steering angle sensor needs to be calibrated. How you would do it is using a thin paper clip and no key in the car put the paper clip. you need to short pins 4 and 14(meaning connect them) then put the car in the ON position (do not start the car)
You will see the lights for VSC and ABS flash really flash. Let it sit like that for 8 seconds then
turn the car OFF and remove the paper clip.
Put the key in then start the Car. The VSC and TRAC lights should light up and then turn off like normal.
When you drive the few feet they should not turn back on.
This is if you have the issue of VSC and TRAC OFF popping up after driving a few feet.
Below is a snippet from the TOYOTA TSB for 2003 4Runner (this also worked for my 2002 ES300).
Here is a link to the document that wil show pins 4 and 14 (described below as Ts and CG). Be sure you are looking at the OBD the right way and not upside down.
Attached pic incase link doesnt work.
1. Ensure the shift lever is in
2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
3. Using SST 09843–18040, repeat a
cycle of short and open between
terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 4 times
or more within 8 seconds. Verify that
the VSC indicator light is lit indicating
the recorded zero point is erased.
4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
5. Be sure the terminals Ts and CG of
DLC3 are disconnected.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON.
7. Check that the VSC warning light
goes off about 15 seconds after the
ignition switch is turned ON.
8. After ensuring that the VSC warning
light remains OFF for 2 seconds, turn
the ignition switch OFF.
9. Connect the terminal Ts and CG of
DLC3 using SST 09843–18040.
10. Turn the ignition switch ON.
11. After turning the ignition switch ON,
check that the VSC warning light
is lit for about 4 seconds and then
starts quick blinking at
0.13 second intervals.