Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are we having a Road Rage epidemic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 09:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think a combination of things are leading to road rage and, at the very least, driver frustration:
  • There are more cars on the road these days and our road/highway infrastructure hasn't kept up with the increase. So, slower traffic and more traffic jams.
  • There are more distracted drivers. Even if they are not talking or texting, they are playing with the infotainment system (guilty at times) and are oblivious to what is going on around them.
  • Since the days of high gas prices have ended (at least for now) there seem to be more huge SUVs on the road and IMO they are usually the ones that will pull out in traffic or linger in the left lane because they feel they own the roads. Keep in mind, I live in Dallas so the proliferation of huge SUVs tends to be greater here.

I'm also a relatively even-tempered guy, but distracted and stupid drivers make my blood boil.
I would agree with most of that. The amount of cars and traffic has increased, which inherently creates more stress. Stress creates lack of patience and then the rage flows.

I also believe media and Hollywood have contributed. With everything exposed and hyped on the news, we have become numb to what goes on. When we become numb, we are less shocked over the act and therefor more likely to go over the line ourselves. And Hollywood has glorified reckless moves for years, with movies like Fast and the Furious making it all cool. It all has a subconscious impact on society. The more we see it, the less shocking and more mainstream it becomes, making it easier to do.

Add in texting and not moving when a light turns green and we are getting hit from all corners.
Old 07-31-15, 09:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I would agree with most of that. The amount of cars and traffic has increased, which inherently creates more stress. Stress creates lack of patience and then the rage flows.
It's true that traffic causes stress. But, nevertheless, patience can still be learned and practiced. There is nothing about dense traffic that actually forces someone to lose his or her temper. I learned many years ago to control mine, and it has paid off.....yes, even in D.C. area gridlock, among the nation's worst.

I also believe media and Hollywood have contributed. With everything exposed and hyped on the news, we have become numb to what goes on. When we become numb, we are less shocked over the act and therefor more likely to go over the line ourselves. And Hollywood has glorified reckless moves for years, with movies like Fast and the Furious making it all cool. It all has a subconscious impact on society. The more we see it, the less shocking and more mainstream it becomes, making it easier to do.
Couldn't agree more about the moron filmmakers in Hollywood. They have portrayed that kind of nonsense for so long that some people actually believe it.
Old 08-01-15, 07:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A number of great points made here, and I agree - road rage is probably symptomatic of our frustration with other drivers who interfere with our progress - and a good deal of it stems from a heightened sense of entitlement. "This is MY road and you have no RIGHT to interfere with MY self-interest. Well, sad as it may be, that's a snapshot of you and me in the present social climate.

Yesterday I was driving my daughter on a series of short errands when her frustration caught up with her. A couple of cars pulled a near miss on us, getting well into our lane while overtaking us on the "wrong" side - but I'd been watching and was prepared. Rather than curse these morons, I just moved out of their way and proceeded on. She blew a fuse - screaming and swearing at them . . like the woman who ignored a left-turn green light. She's hopping up and down in the passenger seat and yelling at them, while I blow the horn . . . OK, more than once. A good ten seconds later the woman proceeds into the intersection . . . I'm relatively calm, daughter is red-faced and panting. What good did all that do? Well, other than produce a little cardio exercise . . .?

First of all, we have to realize that getting all worked up over someone else's behavior - whether real or imagined - is a total waste of time. Second, other people do have lapses of concentration . . . they may not be intentionally trying to run you off the road or cause you to miss the green light - they just have other things on their minds that happen to impinge on your sense of "good driving". We have to remember we're not here to enforce traffic laws on anyone else - we're here to get where we are going in one piece, avoiding dangerous situations and behavior. Finally, the slowpokes in front of you, the wild drivers who cut you off, the morons who drift into your lane, and the yard-apes who tailgate you are going to discover the consequences of their actions . . . somewhere. Your job as a driver is to ensure that YOU'RE not involved in that situation when it comes.

Drive an old beater for a few months and you get a whole new perspective on traffic etiquette. Sitting in the first row at a stoplight, honing your reaction time by dumping the clutch with the first flicker of green and leaping across the intersection is NOT a good idea, even if it brings an adrenalin rush. Once in a while somebody crossing in front of you decides to press their luck and see if they can beat the red light in their direction. You know that happens because we ALL do that at one time or another. Be thankful that you didn't meet a budding John Force at the intersection who thought the light was his own personal Christmas tree.

Acceleration away from the light isn't always a contest of speed. In an attempt to keep CV joints in the old beatervan, I generally move out smartly, if not exactly in full-race mode. Practically all of the time I catch up with the Pendragon family at the next light while driving sanely - and I haven't induced the cardiac or mechanical stresses that kill both man and machine. So, what does all that hurry get you? You might arrive at your destination a little earlier, but will be wiped out mentally and emotionally.

Say you want to do 75 in a 60 mph zone. You're going to stress yourself trying to navigate lanes of cars who are at least trying to observe the speed limit (not all of us are successful). Darting through traffic isn't a display of your driving skills, it's placing a great deal of faith in the skills of others to avoid you. Maybe you're Lewis Hamilton, but the guy you're about to cut off probably isn't . . . so you're going to put your life - or at least a lot of money - in his hands on the assumption he can get out of your way? NOT a good idea.

On longer trips, running the speed limit - or just a hair over, depending on road and weather, gets you to your destination in plenty of time. If it doesn't you failed to leave in time. That's on you. I once had a business associate who consistently arrived 20-30 minutes late for off-site meetings - simply because she failed to allow for travel time. Got an 8:30 meeting? That doesn't mean you leave the office at 8:30 . . . then drive like an insane person to arrive on time. Unless you can teleport, you're not going to make it.

If you put yourself behind schedule by leaving late or failing to allow sufficient driving time - considering both traffic and weather - you won't make it up by foolish behavior behind the wheel. The rage you are feeling is more properly directed at yourself rather than other drivers. Learn to relax, turn on some soothing music, stay out of the left lane except when turning, try to focus on the traffic around you and watch traffic signals. If you feel yourself getting tense, ask yourself WHY you feel that way - and don't throw the blame on someone else. Pull off the road, get a cold drink or a cup of coffee. Just chill.
Old 08-01-15, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

Yesterday I was driving my daughter on a series of short errands when her frustration caught up with her. A couple of cars pulled a near miss on us, getting well into our lane while overtaking us on the "wrong" side - but I'd been watching and was prepared. Rather than curse these morons, I just moved out of their way and proceeded on. She blew a fuse - screaming and swearing at them . . like the woman who ignored a left-turn green light. She's hopping up and down in the passenger seat and yelling at them, while I blow the horn . . . OK, more than once. A good ten seconds later the woman proceeds into the intersection . . . I'm relatively calm, daughter is red-faced and panting. What good did all that do? Well, other than produce a little cardio exercise . . .?
How old is your daughter? With age often comes maturity and patience.

Second, other people do have lapses of concentration . . . they may not be intentionally trying to run you off the road or cause you to miss the green light - they just have other things on their minds that happen to impinge on your sense of "good driving".
Like texting or cell-phones? Just because the other things on their minds while driving does not necessarily justify it. Driving demands looking at the road. Even when I'm out doing an auto review/test-drive, checking out all of the vehicle's controls/systems, the road always comes first.

We have to remember we're not here to enforce traffic laws on anyone else - we're here to get where we are going in one piece, avoiding dangerous situations and behavior.
True, but those laws are there for a reason. They are not there to be ignored. Just because other drivers ignore them, and YOU, as a citizen, are not in a position to do anything about it, does not make what THEY are doing correct. However, you are correct that in most cases, the average motorist is not a cop, and probably shouldn't act like one, even dealing with scofflaws.

Acceleration away from the light isn't always a contest of speed. In an attempt to keep CV joints in the old beatervan, I generally move out smartly, if not exactly in full-race mode. Practically all of the time I catch up with the Pendragon family at the next light while driving sanely - and I haven't induced the cardiac or mechanical stresses that kill both man and machine. So, what does all that hurry get you? You might arrive at your destination a little earlier, but will be wiped out mentally and emotionally.
First, unless I'm missing something, I don't see how strong acceleration prolongs the life of CV or universal-joints. More acceleration usually means more stress on them....especially if you are also turing the front wheels at the same time in a FWD or AWD vehicle.

On longer trips, running the speed limit - or just a hair over, depending on road and weather, gets you to your destination in plenty of time. If it doesn't you failed to leave in time. That's on you. I once had a business associate who consistently arrived 20-30 minutes late for off-site meetings - simply because she failed to allow for travel time. Got an 8:30 meeting? That doesn't mean you leave the office at 8:30 . . . then drive like an insane person to arrive on time. Unless you can teleport, you're not going to make it.
Excellent points. Couldn't agree more.

Also, one thing I consistently notice is that with those impatient drivers behind you, who jump around you the first chance they get, speeding ahead, often wind up right next to you (or right back in front of you) again at the next stop sign or traffic light when they are forced to stop. So....what have they gained by being impatient?......exactly nothing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-15 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-01-15, 09:38 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How old is your daughter? With age often comes maturity and patience.
She's 47. It ain't happenin'.

Like texting or cell-phones? Just because the other things on their minds while driving does not necessarily justify it. Driving demands looking at the road. Even when I'm out doing an auto review/test-drive, checking out all of the vehicle's controls/systems, the road always comes first.
Yeah, I've noticed a LOT of dumb moves from people who are busy with the phone to their ear.

True, but those laws are there for a reason. They are not there to be ignored. Just because other drivers ignore them, and YOU, as a citizen, are not in a position to do anything about it, does not make what THEY are doing correct. However, you are correct that in most cases, the average motorist is not a cop, and probably shouldn't act like one, even dealing with scofflaws.
. . . and these days it doesn't pay to yell at people or flip them off - it could get you shot.

First, unless I'm missing something, I don't see how strong acceleration prolongs the life of CV or universal-joints. More acceleration usually means more stress on them....especially if you are also turing the front wheels at the same time in a FWD or AWD vehicle.
It doesn't, in fact quite the opposite. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My heavy foot cost me a set of CV's on my Civic in only 40K miles, a transmission at 85K. Sidestepping the clutch at about 4500 r's gets you a spectacular launch but expends tires at a furious rate too. I obviously don't do that anymore either.

Also, one thing I consistently notice is that with those impatient drivers behind you, who jump around you the first chance they get, speeding ahead, often wind up right next to you (or right back in front of you) again at the next stop sign or traffic light when they are forced to stop. So....what have they gained by being impatient?......exactly nothing.
Just turn to them and laugh (see "getting you shot", above).
Old 08-01-15, 08:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A number of great points made here, and I agree - road rage is probably symptomatic of our frustration with other drivers who interfere with our progress - and a good deal of it stems from a heightened sense of entitlement. "This is MY road and you have no RIGHT to interfere with MY self-interest. Well, sad as it may be, that's a snapshot of you and me in the present social climate.

First of all, we have to realize that getting all worked up over someone else's behavior - whether real or imagined - is a total waste of time. Second, other people do have lapses of concentration . . . they may not be intentionally trying to run you off the road or cause you to miss the green light - they just have other things on their minds that happen to impinge on your sense of "good driving". We have to remember we're not here to enforce traffic laws on anyone else - we're here to get where we are going in one piece, avoiding dangerous situations and behavior. Finally, the slowpokes in front of you, the wild drivers who cut you off, the morons who drift into your lane, and the yard-apes who tailgate you are going to discover the consequences of their actions . . . somewhere. Your job as a driver is to ensure that YOU'RE not involved in that situation when it comes.

Drive an old beater for a few months and you get a whole new perspective on traffic etiquette. Sitting in the first row at a stoplight, honing your reaction time by dumping the clutch with the first flicker of green and leaping across the intersection is NOT a good idea, even if it brings an adrenalin rush. Once in a while somebody crossing in front of you decides to press their luck and see if they can beat the red light in their direction. You know that happens because we ALL do that at one time or another. Be thankful that you didn't meet a budding John Force at the intersection who thought the light was his own personal Christmas tree.

Say you want to do 75 in a 60 mph zone. You're going to stress yourself trying to navigate lanes of cars who are at least trying to observe the speed limit (not all of us are successful). Darting through traffic isn't a display of your driving skills, it's placing a great deal of faith in the skills of others to avoid you. Maybe you're Lewis Hamilton, but the guy you're about to cut off probably isn't . . . so you're going to put your life - or at least a lot of money - in his hands on the assumption he can get out of your way? NOT a good idea.

If you put yourself behind schedule by leaving late or failing to allow sufficient driving time - considering both traffic and weather - you won't make it up by foolish behavior behind the wheel. The rage you are feeling is more properly directed at yourself rather than other drivers. Learn to relax, turn on some soothing music, stay out of the left lane except when turning, try to focus on the traffic around you and watch traffic signals. If you feel yourself getting tense, ask yourself WHY you feel that way - and don't throw the blame on someone else. Pull off the road, get a cold drink or a cup of coffee. Just chill.
Best post ever on this subject. One other bit of psychology that I learned is that we expect people to drive a certain way (as we do) and when they don't we get severely disappointed and angry. So, I guess anticipating that people will disappoint us with the way they drive will make us less stressed. I try to remember this when I'm driving, but it isn't always easy.