Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are we having a Road Rage epidemic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 09:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are we having a Road Rage epidemic?

It's a simple question. YouTube videos prove this.

Cars. Motorcyclists. Bicyclists. Pedestrians.

Have you experienced it? What happened?

Any conceivable solutions to the problem? How can you legally protect yourself?

DISCUSS.
Old 07-28-15, 10:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just seems more apparent now that we have go pros, dash cams etc.
Old 07-28-15, 10:22 AM
VibeMotorsports
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Road rage? Hmm I've noticed it. I'm pretty calm on the road. I had this instance the other week on Ventura blvd. where the light turned green so I went to put my car in first and before I could even put it in gear the guy behind me in a Rav4 with Arizona plates started blaring his horn at me and flipped me off (I'm off the brake at this point so it should be obvious I'm at least paying attention), then at the next light pulled up to me and started yelling at me. I mean it couldn't have even been a full second lol...... I've since left my car in gear at lights.
www.VibeMotorsports.com

Old 07-28-15, 11:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

its no different . Its just that you saw that segment on the new yesterday with thiose 2 guys. Slow news day. Aint nothin changed but the date lol
Old 07-28-15, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's an example of a gentle giant who could of pounded the car but didn't

Old 07-28-15, 12:45 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always attempt to take the high road (no pun intended) in dealing with volatile situations. It seems we are in the midst of a rage epidemic. Sadly, such situations are not limited to the road these days. Everyone seems to be angry, in a hurry, impatient, and downright rude. With the proliferation of CCW permits across the country it would be in ones best interest to avoid confrontation at all cost. However, I am a strong supporter of the right of self defense under the appropriate circumstances. A poor commentary on the current state of affairs.
Old 07-28-15, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The real problem today is that, even with the proliferation of cameras and videos, too many scofflaws (or potential scofflaws) know that they can pull incidents with only a small chance of getting caught and/or having to pay the consequences of their actions. So, they pull as many stunts as they think they can get away with. In other words, familiarity breeds contempt. The problem, IMO, won't go away (or at least lessen) until there are much tougher laws, mandatory sentences, and more enforcement of those laws.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 12:51 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I am a very level headed guy who doesn't get angry easily nor has a hot temper. But on the road, it is a different story. I cannot explain why people bother me so much on the road. Its a character flaw that I wish I didn't have, and I am trying to change, but it is and will be probably the hardest thing to do. I am a highly efficient and a fast pace kind of guy, so when things don't go that way on the road, it drives me up the wall. Also, as patrix stated above, I take everything that happens to me on the road personally, be it being tailgated, cut in front of (with no signals), etc. Cant explain why.
Old 07-28-15, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I am a very level headed guy who doesn't get angry easily nor has a hot temper. But on the road, it is a different story. I cannot explain why people bother me so much on the road. Its a character flaw that I wish I didn't have, and I am trying to change, but it is and will be probably the hardest thing to do. I am a highly efficient and a fast pace kind of guy, so when things don't go that way on the road, it drives me up the wall. Also, as patrix stated above, I take everything that happens to me on the road personally, be it being tailgated, cut in front of (with no signals), etc. Cant explain why.
I'm not a psychiatrist, but from what you describe, it sounds to me that, like some other car enthusiasts, you have a strong enough subconscious attachment to your car and driving that you take anything that stands in the way of you enjoying your car (and driving) in the way you want to, or think you have a right to, as an impediment to you as a person. In other words, the car projects your personality, and anything that stands in its way also stands in yours. It might (?) help a little if you remember that, no matter how much like or love your car, it is only an inanimate machine, and will not last forever. In a few years, you'll have another car, then another one, then another one.....up to the day, probably several decades from now, when you finally quit driving.
Old 07-28-15, 01:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are you Goofy?

Old 07-28-15, 05:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ LOL I am Mr. Walker, er Mr. Wheeler.
Old 07-28-15, 06:25 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

damn dude...you sound just like me...

When people act like they dont give a **** about any other vehicles on the road, especially those who jump out of parking lots, red light turns and stop signs while youre driving at 45 mph directly in their direction! They think that you slammin on your brakes or swerving to avoid them is no big thang(**** 100% of the time you get the middle finger or the obligatory f@ck you)....i can feel my blood boiling as I type

Last edited by MEAHT; 07-28-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Any conceivable solutions to the problem?
cars at some point will 'not allow' reckless driving.

How can you legally protect yourself?
you mean from others with road rage? well, just backing off / pulling over is probably the safest way.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
just seems more apparent now that we have go pros, dash cams etc.
+1

youtube is not a good statistical basis.
Old 07-28-15, 10:26 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-31-15, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a combination of things are leading to road rage and, at the very least, driver frustration:
  • There are more cars on the road these days and our road/highway infrastructure hasn't kept up with the increase. So, slower traffic and more traffic jams.
  • There are more distracted drivers. Even if they are not talking or texting, they are playing with the infotainment system (guilty at times) and are oblivious to what is going on around them.
  • Since the days of high gas prices have ended (at least for now) there seem to be more huge SUVs on the road and IMO they are usually the ones that will pull out in traffic or linger in the left lane because they feel they own the roads. Keep in mind, I live in Dallas so the proliferation of huge SUVs tends to be greater here.

I'm also a relatively even-tempered guy, but distracted and stupid drivers make my blood boil.

Quick Reply: Are we having a Road Rage epidemic?