Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

adaptive cruise control experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 09:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds a lot like the F-111 pilots who didn't trust their TFR (terrain following radar) back in the early days of the 111 being operational. They would see a mountain in front them and would grab the stick instinctively and plow right into the mountain.
why would grabbing the stick make them plow into the mountain?
Old 08-11-14, 09:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why would grabbing the stick make them plow into the mountain?
It disengaged the TFR.
Old 08-12-14, 11:17 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Was hoping this was the case since I never had (nor felt the need to have) these "driver aids" and the NX I ordered has them all. Awesome feedback thanks
No worries! Just be aware that Toyota has different versions of PCS and DRCC. I expect the ones found on the Prius would be the "entry-level" versions (possibly a generation or two older than the ones found on Lexus models). I would definitely read the section of the manual on PCS/DRCC to get an idea of when they're active (PCS Brakes, PCS Braking and PCS seatbelts on the Prius are active at different speeds) and how they perform and of course try out DRCC on the road and get a feel for how it reacts/performs in different scenario and where the warning message will be displayed so that you won't be distracted the first time it happens.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for the clear confirmation of my experience. as has been said, NOW that i know what was going on, it won't be a problem. i do expect my next vehicle to have adaptive cruise though as i find the speed up / slow down on interstates to be annoying.
Np. It's something you have to live with for a while to get a feel of how it reacts in different scenarios. I love the PCS seatbelts as it reacts way faster than you can (it tightens the seatbelt before your body moves forward and ELR kicks in) and the only way I've noticed PCS seatbelts activated is when I hear the electric motor release/loosen the seatbelt. It works above 60km/h so I've had it happen on city streets when someone slides into my lane without shoulder checking and I quickly release the accelerator and tap the brake pedal. It's good to know that my face won't make contact with the airbag should the worse happen because PCS is keeping me in the proper position. (Not to mention if you need to swerve, you're still sitting upright instead of leaning forward because you braked hard).

The last point you made was the reason I opted for DRCC.