Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Smart Key Lost, whatcha gonna do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 06:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty certain the manufacturers have a way to put the car in neutral without the key or smart key. If that were NOT the case, anytime a tow truck driver tows that particular car a lot of damage to the transmission can occur. I don't think that is something manufacturers overlooked.
Old 02-11-11, 07:18 PM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you can boost Prius's accessory battery and it requires a lot less power than regular car... I wouldnt think HS is any different.
It's not any different, but my battery was dead and not operational. Tow truck driver tried to boost it and it would not take a charge. The dealer tested the battery and told me it was defective.
Old 02-11-11, 07:22 PM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i forgot if you can put car into ACC mode without key? if not, then not easily. certainly not without 12v power. and you need dollies to tow prius
When Lexus sent a tow truck, they were specific that It needed to be a Flat Bed. They greased up the tires and pulled it onto the bed. He did not put it in neutral and in the manual it only mentions a flat bed and I couldn't find any entry on putting the car in neutral if the key or battery fails.
Old 02-11-11, 07:27 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm pretty certain the manufacturers have a way to put the car in neutral without the key or smart key. If that were NOT the case, anytime a tow truck driver tows that particular car a lot of damage to the transmission can occur. I don't think that is something manufacturers overlooked.
I agree!!! But everything I've been finding using Google says "use dollys" to get it on a flatbed or use a floor jack with wheels as a dolly. Like this thread from Prius Chat how to put gear to Neutral without a key
Old 02-11-11, 08:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

yes, during shipment of course... but for the protection of hybrid system, you are not allowed to tow the hybrids on anything but flat bad or use dollys. A lot like 4WD cars for instance, which cant get towed on 2 wheels either.

for shipment and work, you can disable parking pawl activation by taking out 30 amp fuse, they probably use that for factory and up to before pdi.
Old 02-12-11, 05:42 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

UPDATE:

In brief: They got the car started. With help from Toyota Corp they determined that that reason why they were unable to program the key on the first attempt is that an internet connection to the Toyo computer is required to pair the key was not done. They went back Friday and somehow got an internet connection 2 stories down and problem solved!

Here is the link to the video: Lost car key saga ends happily

Summary:
SMITHFIELD, R.I. --
An Attleboro man on Friday retrieved his wife's car after it was stuck in a parking garage for five days.

Emily Brinkert parked the 2004 Toyota Prius at the Providence train station during a business trip. When she returned Wednesday, she didn't have the car's smart key.

Brinkert said the only way to get a new key was to get the car to a dealership, but no tow truck could get to it because of the low clearance in the garage.

Technicians from a Colonial Toyota in Smithfield came to the rescue.

Working on site with a computer, they managed to program a smart key to open and start the car.

The car was driven to the dealership, where Bill Brinkert received two new keys and drove away Friday afternoon.

The Brinkerts were given a credit and didn't have to pay the entire parking bill.
Old 02-12-11, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the update!

Old 02-13-11, 06:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it worked out, but I'm surprised this made it to the media. Must have been a slow news day.
Old 02-13-11, 06:41 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

You're welcome 1Sick you know how I like finishing what I start

Glad it worked out, but I'm surprised this made it to the media. Must have been a slow news day.
I'm glad it worked out too, and +1 slow news day for sure