Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Hybrid showdown: Lexus vs. Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 11:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury Hybrid showdown: Lexus vs. Mercedes

It's real tempting to post some sort of spoiler but this is going to be too much fun reading for most of you.

Luxury means many things to many people, but nobody doubts luxury cars should be crammed full of the latest technology… and what says “technology” in today’s car market quite like “Hybrid”? In a strange inversion of history, Lexus created the world’s first hybrid luxury flagship from a vehicle that was clearly inspired by the Mercedes S-Class, and now Mercedes is fighting back with its first hybrid sedan, the S400Hybrid. So, is Lexus’s hybrid head-start enough to fend off a challenge from the vehicle that inspired its birth over a twenty years ago? The only way to find out is in TTAC’s most expensive comparison test ever.

Despite catering to a similar crowd, the Lexus and Mercedes hybrids could not have more different missions in mind if they tried. Lexus’ fantastically complicated AWD hybrid system was designed with V12 performance in mind. Mercedes on the other hand decided to take the simplest route to hybridization possible by inserting a smallish electric motor between the engine and transmission. Either way you slice it, if you are shopping for a car to be driven in and still somehow care about the baby seals, these two cars will provide the best fuel economy in the luxo-barge market (which isn’t saying much). Let’s dig in.

Th rest
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...exus-ls600h-l/
Old 02-11-11, 11:51 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that was a surprisingly balanced review...not something we see from TTAC often
Old 02-11-11, 12:00 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Personally, I don't really consider the S400 Hybrid to be a "hybrid" at all. To me it is a V6 S350 that has "electric help" from 0-50 kph in order to lower fuel consumption within urban environments.

I think a diesel S350 CDI is a much better choice, overall. There was a comparison not to long ago in an Auto Motor und Sport magazine between the S350, S350 CDI and S400 Hybrid. In terms of overall performance and fuel economy, the S350 CDI was the clear winner besting even the S400 Hybrid in fuel economy.
Old 02-11-11, 02:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review
Old 02-11-11, 02:17 PM
LexFather

Great review! Its great they recognized while both hybrids their purposes are different. Good writing!

When the going gets twisty, it’s frankly not important that a large luxury sedan handle well. What is important is that it gets the job done with no fuss, minimal squeals and no unnerving rear end motions. Since both sedans are equipped with load-leveling air suspension setups, I expected a fairly similar ride, and in practice both the S400 and LS600hL lived up to my expectations. Both deliver extremely compliant rides on a variety of pavement, gravel and dirt roads. Both vehicles offer a “Sport” mode but only the Lexus seemed to actually deliver the hoped-for change to suspension behavior with Sport Mode activated. If you ever give Jeeves the day off, a this cetaceous mannerism-taming mode is a clear “must have.” While I would never call the LS600hL a “corner carver,” grip is fairly impressive, and the AWD system provides an extremely well balanced feel, while the massive Brembo brakes stop the 5,360lb sedan without drama every time. In contrast, the S400’s personality doesn’t invite any hurried shenanigans, which is good because it just can’t muster the hustle of the Japanese competition. Handling winner: LS600h L.
Summary

At the end our two week back-to-back test, it became obvious that the LS600hL is the best pure luxury vehicle in the $100,000 price point. The isolation, the CVT and the AWD, all combine to make a vehicle that is perfect for the person to whom Luxury means floating on a cloud. The LS600h L will never have the athleticism of the BMW 7-Series, and it may not have the brand cachet of the S-Class, but it does deliver the pinnacle in isolated transport.

Old 02-11-11, 02:55 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

That was extremely well written. to the guy who wrote it.
Old 02-13-11, 06:11 PM
LexFather

It really was well written.

Old 02-13-11, 06:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Reads like the person who does the script for Top Gear. I can just picture that being said in Jeremy Clarksons voice.
Old 02-13-11, 07:53 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

That actually came from the pages of TTAC? I'm shocked.