Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TCC Review : 2006 BMW M6 - A bit too much for the real world

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default TCC Review : 2006 BMW M6 - A bit too much for the real world

by Conor Twomey (2006-05-22)

If you're one of those people thinking about buying a BMW M6 and want a nice, fluffy article telling you how wonderful it is, then look away now. There are plenty of other places on the Web where critics will tell you what an astonishing car the M6 is and more power to them. But I really, really, REALLY, didn't care for the M6 at all and while I might very much be in the minority here, I knows what I likes and this ain't it.

For a start, I think the 6-Series on which the M6 is based is a travesty. Forget the subjective matter of its looks for a moment and consider just how massively pointless it is as a means of transport. It has no rear seat worth speaking of and yet it's actually longer than the 5-Series with which it shares most of its hardware. The wheelbase is almost four inches shorter and it sits almost four inches lower - all of which comes directly out of the cabin, all of which we could have forgiven if it was even vaguely good-looking.

Then there's the interior, a more cramped version of the cockpit found in the 5-Series, although now with less visibility and still saddled with iDrive and all its dangerously unfathomable menus. The doors are so long it's impossible to get out of in tight parking spaces and you can more or less give up hope of ever getting anyone jammed into the rear seat out again. There's no denying the front seats are extraordinarily comfortable and the build quality is first-rate, but beyond than that there's not much to recommend the 6's cabin.

While the M5 is a stealthy and svelte super-sedan, the look-at-me M6 howls its M-ness from the rooftops. The wheels are glitzy 19-inch items that poke out from bulging fenders that combine with the aggressive new front fascia to draw more attention to a car that wasn't exactly a wilting wallflower to begin with. The view from the rear, with its M-spec bumper, rear diffuser, and enormous rear tires, is even more cartoonish than the standard 6-Series, while other M-spec add-ons like the exposed carbon fiber on the roof simply smacks of gimmick to me. The interior benefits from a nice M-spec steering and sportier seats, but otherwise it's fairly stock in there, which means you get the same fine entertainment system you can't operate and the same forest of stalks and paddles around the steering wheel. Sigh.

Power begets more power

All that ceases to matter once you fire up its astonishing 5.0-liter, 40-valve, quad-cam, V-10 engine. Essentially the same unit as found in the M5, it generates its staggering 500 hp output by using race-derived technology like individual throttle bodies for each cylinder and dry-sump lubrication. Its redline is pegged at a stratospheric 8250 rpm and maximum power isn't achieved until 7750 rpm, so while it does demand a lot of revs to get the most from it, it's got so much power in reserve you actually don't need to rev the nuts off it to achieve big velocities.

If you do decide to thrash it, the performance is mind-boggling with 60 mph arriving in just 4.5 seconds from rest and a top speed well beyond the governed 155 mph. Thanks to the variable cam timing and individual throttles, it generates a more-than-adequate 383 lb-ft of torque at 6100 rpm and with seven paddle-selected gears to choose, it's unlikely you'll ever be caught out wanting for power. The transmission is also carried directly over from the M5, so you get the same superb high-speed changes but the same cumbersome low-speed operation and annoying tendency to roll back at idle.

Thankfully, there's a six-speed manual in the works for the M5 and M6, so I won't dwell on the transmission too long. Like the M5, for those dreary commutes in stop-go traffic you can take it out of "M-Drive" mode and amble around with a piddling 400 hp, which, in anything other than ideal conditions, is more than enough I think.

The M6 also borrows the M5's active-ride suspension system, which is pleasantly firm in normal mode though calling the softest setting Comfort is a bit of a stretch. In Sport mode it stiffens up considerably, more so than in the M5 it seems, and while I appreciate that the M6 is supposed to more hardcore than the M5, I do think they've made it a bit too stiff for anywhere other than the racetrack. The phenomenal brakes also come right out of the BMW M5, with 14.7-inch front and 14.6-inch rear cross-drilled rotors constructed from fade-free, compound materials and clamped by massive dual-piston calipers all around.

Scary M-over

Hit the steering-mounted M-Drive button, and in addition to the extra horsepower and sport suspension, you get a sharper throttle, meatier steering and faster gear-shifts, the overall effect of which is to turn the M6 into a super-focused uber-coupe. It grips like a racecar and turns in with staggering ferocity; but because it's such a big, heavy car with a slightly mute steering, it doesn't have enough intimacy to have quite that level of performance.

Whereas the M5 is engaging, the M6 scares the bejesus out of me and because it's lost almost four inches of wheelbase and yet only weighs about 100 pounds less, it's less forgiving of mistakes and feels more twitchy and nervous by comparison. The driving instructors at the Road America racetrack loved it, and I'm sure if I had their level of skill and a racetrack to play on every day I'd enjoy it too, but out there in the real world the M6 is a scary proposition.

I drove it for a while without the stability control in the rain and the car was all but undrivable, snapping this way and that without me really asking or expecting it to hang its back end out. And it's not like I'm inexperienced with cars of this power and performance, having piloted Vipers and Ford GTs in the past without complaint.

There's a dark side to the BMW M6 that makes me very uncomfortable behind the wheel, which makes it disturbingly different in character to the amazing competence of the M5 or even the relative delicacy of a 911 Turbo. Quite why it costs fifteen grand more than the M5 I cannot fathom, especially when you consider that it's no faster, not anything as good to look at, has almost no versatility and it isn't nearly as much fun to drive.

No, the M6 and I did not get along at all, I'm afraid.

2006 BMW M6
Base price: $96,795 (plus $3000 gas-guzzler tax)

GET CURRENT PRICING

GET AN INSURANCE QUOTE
Engine: 5.0-liter V-10, 500 hp/383 lb-ft
Transmission: Seven-speed sequential manual, rear-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 191.8 x 73.0 x 54.0 in
Wheelbase: 109.5 in
Curb weight: 3909 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 12/18 mpg
Safety equipment: Dual front airbags; side and curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes; stability control, active damping, tire pressure monitor
Major standard equipment: Automatic climate control, satellite navigation, six-CD audio system; Bluetooth phone system; 19-inch alloy wheels
Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles

source : thecarconnection
Old 05-22-06, 10:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"The M6 scares the bejesus out of me and because it's lost almost four inches of wheelbase and yet only weighs about 100 pounds less, it's less forgiving of mistakes and feels more twitchy and nervous by comparison. The driving instructors at the Road America racetrack loved it, and I'm sure if I had their level of skill and a racetrack to play on every day I'd enjoy it too, but out there in the real world the M6 is a scary proposition."
Weakling...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 05-22-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 10:51 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i would say its too powerful for most to handle
really have to be a good drive in order to have some fun with it
otherwise too scary indeed
Old 05-22-06, 10:56 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

"The M6 scares the bejesus out of me and because it's lost almost four inches of wheelbase and yet only weighs about 100 pounds less, it's less forgiving of mistakes and feels more twitchy and nervous by comparison. The driving instructors at the Road America racetrack loved it, and I'm sure if I had their level of skill and a racetrack to play on every day I'd enjoy it too, but out there in the real world the M6 is a scary proposition."

Girly man!
Old 05-22-06, 11:06 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Says very much about the kind of editors TCC has.
Old 05-22-06, 06:16 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexArazzo

For a start, I think the 6-Series on which the M6 is based is a travesty.

...... all of which we could have forgiven if it was even vaguely good-looking.

at least they got this part right
Old 05-22-06, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

It's another technical marvel, but VERY impractical.

If you want a fast coupe with no room, there's plenty of better (smaller) choices.

And $100K (IF you get one)
Old 05-22-06, 07:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
at least they got this part right
I honestly think it is one of the best looking cars on the market.
Old 05-22-06, 08:03 PM
LexFather

The reviews for this car have not been overwhelming, lets not get it confused. EVO picked a 911 S over the M6, we are not even talking a Turbo here. I should scan their 650 review as well, they just are not floored by the cars.

They do love the engines, but overall, for a coupe, for them it leaves more desired.

In their car of the year award the M6 was like 9th out of 10 cars I think.

Let me get my mags

I mean, V-10 coupe, there is no other option. the Viper and Gallardo are 2 seaters and all out sports cars.

As for looks, I think it looks better in person but its far from gorgous, in my eyes. The M6 bodykit helps tons

Old 05-22-06, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The reviews for this car have not been overwhelming, lets not get it confused. EVO picked a 911 S over the M6, we are not even talking a Turbo here. I should scan their 650 review as well, they just are not floored by the cars.

They do love the engines, but overall, for a coupe, for them it leaves more desired.

In their car of the year award the M6 was like 9th out of 10 cars I think.

Let me get my mags

I mean, V-10 coupe, there is no other option. the Viper and Gallardo are 2 seaters and all out sports cars.

As for looks, I think it looks better in person but its far from gorgous, in my eyes. The M6 bodykit helps tons
the tt is far more expensive than the m6 as well, where the 911s is the same price as m6. personally i think the m6 suddenly faces a lot more competitors than what bmw imagined. with the m5, you don't realy have anyone out there to compete. 4 door sedans, what else besides the rs6 and the e55? porsche has yet to put on the rear 2 doors, and so does a lot of other manufactures

however, with the 6 series being basically a 2 door version of its close brother, the 5 series, boom suddenly people say left and right about what the m6 is going to compete against, and the next thing we know is how bad this car fails against some of them, etc...

to me, let's focus back a bit here. personally i don't even know how to compare the 911s to the m6 besides the price. the 911s is smaller, shorter, and they kinda going in a bit different directions. it's just hard to compare imho.

in the end, between the m6 and m5 i would choose m6 any day. while the m6 isn't as good as some other cars out there like the911s, i think the car still serves a very important perspective to some people (including me) which will make me choose this vehicle over some other "competitors" they put out there. and about the writer of this article, i am just not too thrilled about him
Old 05-23-06, 03:29 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw one driving up the 405 around irvine friday afternoon....

i was cruising past jamboree at 85ish when i noticed a 6-series BMW coming up behind me, i gun it and it kept up with me....

finally i saw it was a M6....nice quad exhaust....looks very nice
Old 05-23-06, 06:13 AM
Milla...

Yeah the dealer was really realllly trying to push that thing on me when I went for the M3, its just a very ugly car in my eyes and no matter what they do to it or how fast it is I will always be turned off from it.
Old 05-23-06, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Yeah the dealer was really realllly trying to push that thing on me when I went for the M3, its just a very ugly car in my eyes and no matter what they do to it or how fast it is I will always be turned off from it.
wow from m3 (60k) to m6 (100k)? man they were trying hard
Old 05-23-06, 09:14 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by rominl
wow from m3 (60k) to m6 (100k)? man they were trying hard
Yeah they really were. I went in for the M3 and only the M3 and I made that known prior to showing up at the dealer and the whole time I was there, but some how the M6 was always cleverly brought up in all of our discussions you know that whole sublimital tactic thing they use. the guy was really nice and all but he was really beginning to bug me out.