Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

xpel ultimate saved me or did it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 08:14 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts
Default xpel ultimate saved me or did it?

So... washing my car this morning and BAM! Look what I found..

Do you think this is covered under warranty? Also, it looks like it may have got the paint? Not sure..

Old 09-05-16, 08:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Will that be covered under warranty? Absolutely not. Why would it?

A clear bra is designed to serve as the sacrificial barrier and this is exactly what will happen over time.

Warranty only covers premature yellowing or peeling.

This is normal wear and tear.
Old 09-05-16, 07:11 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

^Exactly what he said... Xpel is not a bullet proof magical shield that will prevent all visible damage. It is a film that acts as a barrier that will take the beating of minor impacts, scratches, and chips rather than your paint having to take the damage. The benefit is that the film can be polished (your damage looks like paint transfer that can be removed) or simply peeled off and replaced, which is WAY better than repainting a panel.
Old 09-06-16, 04:34 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Exactly what he said... Xpel is not a bullet proof magical shield that will prevent all visible damage. It is a film that acts as a barrier that will take the beating of minor impacts, scratches, and chips rather than your paint having to take the damage. The benefit is that the film can be polished (your damage looks like paint transfer that can be removed) or simply peeled off and replaced, which is WAY better than repainting a panel.
Oh wow. I didn't know it can be polished. I shall try that. Thanks!
Old 09-06-16, 05:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Oh wow. I didn't know it can be polished. I shall try that. Thanks!
Yep, clear bra can be polished and corrected much like bare clear coat....

Name:  20131019-DSC_5453_zps92c37c4d.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  377.3 KB
Name:  20131019-DSC_5454_zps7a12fa66.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  332.0 KB

... it is usually quite a bit softer than paint, so start with something pretty gentle and work your way up as needed
Old 09-06-16, 06:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Zach made some good points.

Suntek and Xpel actually should not be polished (you can polish it but almost nothing happens). If you have paint transfer, yes that can be rubbed out with compound or light polish.

These self healing films supposedly have a top self-healing coat that might be jeopardized if you excessively polish it and remove material (never really tested the long term self healing properties to confirm).

Suntek and Xpel should not need any polishing and should not scratch or swirl anywhere near the rest of the paint. The picture Zach has is most likely VERY old Xpel film that had the self healing property fail (it does wear out over time), OR it's just some no-name cheap ppf film that you see a ton of cheaper dealers use. The top dealerships (Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo/Bentley, etc.) in our area all use the same installers (less than a handful of guys) who use good brands like Xpel/Sunktek/3M. Most cheaper car dealerships use garbage film.

In short, self healing ppf does not respond well to polishing by hand or machine, unless it's like Zach said to remove material transfer. Also, the OEM film used on old school 911s Pre-2000 is the same way, if you polish it, you will permanently damage it. I've had it happen a few times and let me tell you, it is NOT fun removing that material as it comes off in little chunks and is a big mess and headache to deal with.

On Xpel use a heatgun or leave it in the sun, scratches will heal on their own. However OP, you have permanent damage on your film that can't be repaired.

If you get bug splatter or bird droppings that etch your Xpel, then aggressive polishing is the only way to try and remove it. I've never been able to remove etching from self healing ppf completely like paint but I can get it down to where it's alot better. Even if you go real aggressive with wool pads and compound, it's not enough to fully remove it.