Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is the clearcoat on my car gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 08:08 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is the clearcoat on my car gone?

Okay, so I really never wanted a black car but it's was the only one in my price range and I got a deal on it last year. About a two months ago, after washing my car, I noticed the paint wasn't smooth as usual anymore and that it was actually rough. Back then, anything you put on the hood would just slide off. Today, I tried to wipe something off my car with my finger and it put some scratches in the paint just by putting my finger on it. Then after I washed my car, I noticed it had loads more swirls than ever before. So my black paint basically feels rough and gets scratched very easily now. Could the clearcoat be gone on my car now?
Old 11-10-11, 10:27 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried claying?
Old 11-10-11, 10:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Many dealerships don't invest money to give their used cars a proper detail. They will just put on a wax or polish that has alot of fillers, so for a little while these fillers will hide the minor-medium swirl marks and other imperfections in the paint work. With time, usually several weeks at most, these fillers get washed away and lose their bond, exposing the raw paint underneath that is swirled, marred, and full of other imperfections.

You need to do a proper correction (with a buffer) and do a final wipedown with an IPA solution to really remove these imperfections. Than, you can put wax on top to protect your work.

Keep in mind your car is black, so unless you become a slave to the car and spend a ridiculous amount of time taking care of it by doing proper washes and details, it will show imperfections alot more than lighter colors. Lexus paint is very soft, so it's even worse in your case.
Old 11-10-11, 11:04 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clearcoat gone? No! It just needs a good cleanse!!!

I take it you're working by hand? I'll keep my suggestions with that in mind, using basic over the counter products!

Invest in a clay bar kit as suggested, this will make the paint smooth as glass again. I like the Meg's kit, the clay is nice and mild, and won't really mark your paint, and the QD is nice to use, and won't streak. After claying, use a paint cleaner like Meg's step 1 to really pull all the rest of the crap out of your paint. This stuff is really easy to use, and leaves your paint squeaky clean.

It's tough removing all the swirls by hand, so easier to hide them. Trouble is, they'll keep on coming back. Meg's NXT 2.0 wax looks sensational on black, it'll fill swirls too. Just don't use too much, the thinner the coats, the better with any wax. This NXT is actually a sealant, which means for you is dust won't stick to it, and it'll stay cleaner for longer.

After washing every week, give your car a spray of Meg's ultimate quick detailer, or quick wax, to keep it looking in tip top condition.
Old 11-11-11, 04:44 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you take a picture of your car in direct sunlight so we can see what else you may need.

if the car feels rough like the others have stated you will need to wash and clay your car.

to bring back some shine you will need to polish and finally to protect the car you should wax or seal it.
Old 11-18-11, 04:18 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

your clearcoat is definitely not gone. toyota paints cars very very well. i have a 1990 toyota cressida, its a white pearl CA car, and the paint is gorgeous just as the day it left the factory. try claying, then buffing with meg. ultimate compound or scratch x, followed by nxt wax. your car will look like new again. i do this to mine and it keeps it looking fresh and clean
Old 11-18-11, 05:35 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

def. sounds like you need a good claying!