Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint coating without polishing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 01:30 PM
LilBleezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint coating without polishing

So I've been reading up on the paint coatings (specifically 22ple High Performance Coating) you can now put on your cars instead of waxing. I like what I'm seeing regarding all that as I'm really bad as far as keeping my car waxed.

In the readings it highly suggests you polish the car for imperfections before putting the coating on. My question is, is the polishing step really necessary? I've had the car for 2 years and have very few imperfections, a few scratches that you maybe could see if you get right up on the car, but none that really bother me. I also don't trust myself to take a buffer and to the car without worrying about taking off too much clear coat.

Has anyone just cleaned their car really good and then put this paint coat on successfully or would I be making a monumental mistake? I just want to check before I move forward with doing just that.

Thanks everyone.

Old 08-25-16, 03:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You can go ahead and decontaminate the paint (iron-x, tar-x, and clay bar), wash the car with a citrus shampoo like the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, dry it, and do an IPA wipedown on it.

After all of that is done, you can go ahead and put the coating on it. So, polishing is NOT necessary for the coating to bond with the paint and give it some additional gloss like a wax would. 22PLE is amazing, we have been using all of their coatings at work for many years, probably my favorite product.

The reason most detail shops will tell you polishing is necessary is because they want the paint to be in its optimal condition before installing the coating. Plus, if it's a soft paint or really any dark colored paint job, you will typically end up marring it during the clay bar process so that would require polishing to remove the marring.

CQ Finest and OC Pro both have their own line of polishes that they recommend/require using before installing their coatings for best bonding results. If you use their polishes, the IPA step is not necessary so you are eliminating the chance of ipa wipedown-induced swirls and marring on super soft paints.

What color is your vehicle?
Old 08-25-16, 03:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Keep in mind, these coatings are semi-permenant meaning they should last at least one year before showing sings of degrading. Any imperfections you leave in the paint before application are sealed away for good. If you have to go back later to re-polish a section, you will have to recoat that panel.
Old 08-25-16, 05:33 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

We will do at least a light polish on every car before coating, even if the car is essentially flawless... the reason is I personally do not feel there is any other way to guarantee that residual waxes, glazes, or whatever have been removed.

... but with that being said, I have done extensive testing of coatings on top of polish and no solvent wipe (meaning there were still residual oils on the surface), and the coating performed as expected for a year until I stopped my test. So the true need for polishing may be less important than I think, however it is not something I wish to risk with customers who are paying good money for our services.
Old 08-26-16, 02:45 PM
LilBleezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You can go ahead and decontaminate the paint (iron-x, tar-x, and clay bar), wash the car with a citrus shampoo like the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, dry it, and do an IPA wipedown on it.

After all of that is done, you can go ahead and put the coating on it. So, polishing is NOT necessary for the coating to bond with the paint and give it some additional gloss like a wax would. 22PLE is amazing, we have been using all of their coatings at work for many years, probably my favorite product.

The reason most detail shops will tell you polishing is necessary is because they want the paint to be in its optimal condition before installing the coating. Plus, if it's a soft paint or really any dark colored paint job, you will typically end up marring it during the clay bar process so that would require polishing to remove the marring.

CQ Finest and OC Pro both have their own line of polishes that they recommend/require using before installing their coatings for best bonding results. If you use their polishes, the IPA step is not necessary so you are eliminating the chance of ipa wipedown-induced swirls and marring on super soft paints.

What color is your vehicle?
Color of the car is black. Residual waxes may not be a problem either as I haven't waxed my car yet. After 2 years I'm definitely embarrassed saying that, but living in an apartment in the city and having a new kid kinda threw things off for a bit.