Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

House Paint on Black Lex

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 06:20 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Paint on Black Lex

Some ******* spilled a ton of blue house paint (I think - latex, I hope) on the road and it got splattered all down the side of my car. I took it to the car wash and got a bunch of it off, but I had a trip to go on and there are still splatters all down the side. Like I said, this is a '94 Black SC400. I believe there is no clear coat on these. What should be my first option in trying to remove it? Clay bar? What kind? Or straight to polishing compound? They have Turtle Wax at Wal-Mart for like $2, which is attractive, but not at expense of leaving perm cuts in the paint if not necessary. Thanks!
Old 04-02-04, 07:26 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a water soluble paint and varnish remover (check Home Depot-Lowes etc.) that should work and shouldn't harm your oem paint.( read the lable warnings prior to buying). Just don't leave it go too long-the sooner you get to it the better. Here is one such product;

http://paint-and-supplies.aubuchonha...ver-787349.asp

Because it's water based it should be safe on cured urethane paint. You can also test Goof-Off on an out of the way spot (underside of car) and see if that works, as they lable that product as effective on latex paint. Test ANY product you use in an inconspicuous spot first-better safe than sorry.

P.S. Try a solvent like those first...if you wind up using an abrasive to take it off, it's possible you'll remove a lot of oem paint in the process, which could hurt you down the line when you need to remove a scratch or scrape...then you might end up cutting through to the primer because that area was so buffed out during the latex removal debacle. Good luck!

Last edited by Guitarman; 04-02-04 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 09:30 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Thanks! I'll try a solvent first.
Old 04-05-04, 11:11 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

I used a solvent (Ooops) and it got it off, but now I've got spiderwebs from the light rubbing that I had to do to get the latex off. The wax that I used (like 3 coats of Zymol) was ineffective in removing the swirls/spiderwebs. Any suggestions on what is good for this? I could tell it was doing it, but I was really hoping that the swirls would come out and I was excited that the damn blue paint was coming off. I'd like to have my shiney Lex back