VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Do you have air ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 07:18 PM
MELLO*SOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I have Airrunner setup on 00 LS400. It's a nice system but I have a couple minor issues with it. I run the fronts around 110psi and the rears around 60psi on nice pavement, 120/80 on rough/uneven surfaces.

Full up:

Laid out:

Setup:
Two tanks. Not sure exact size, 5? gal each
Single 120psi Airruner branded Firestone compressor
1/4 line to 4 manual switches and 1/4 line to bags/cylinders
Dual pressure gauges (and switches) mounted in center console.

Sry no picture of the trunk for now, but it's nothing special, tanks and comps in spare tire well.

Thoughts
My main gripe is how slow the current setup is to lift the car (and deflate the rear). This is from the 1/4 lines. Slightly annoying while driving and need to quickly lift the car, but it's more annoying when the car is laid out and you need to go back to ride height. Due to the install, my manual switch placement sucks - they are hard to get at in the center console. For those that don't know, manual switches dump the air from the bags right out of the switch itself, so as you'd expect it's very loud in the car when deflating... My GF and kid complain. Of course the manual valves have no way to program preset heights, or auto fill on startup, both features I'd really like. Lastly, the single 120 compressor is taxxed to fill both tanks, it will run for >= 10+ minutes after lifting the car off the floor. If the tank was low/empty when laid out, you have to wait awhile before being able to drive anywhere. But other than these minor, correctable issues, the Airrunner setup is awesome.

Plans
I'm planning to upgrade to the system to 1) make it faster, 2) make it quieter inside the car and 3) provide a little redundancy and reduce tank recovery times.

Upgrading compressor to either a single or dual Viair 480C compressor, they're good for 200psi@50%duty. Much faster tank recovery!
Upgrading to at least 1/2 line from the tank to the manifold/valves. The single 1/4 line from the tanks is over taxxed when filling 2 or 4 bags at once.
Upgrading to trunk mount electric valve setup (Accuair?) with slow-downs/mufflers on exhaust ports. Quieter cabin, and allows presets with controller.
Upgrading to programmable digital controller, still researching but leaning toward the Autoloc Air Command.
Analog gauges will be dumped for either a digital display setup, unless the new controller has a nice LCD/LED readout already (which the Autoloc unit does have)
Keeping 1/4" lines from valves to struts, if the new setup still isn't fast enough I'll sell the Airrunners and go with a custom UAS setup with >= 3/8 lines.
Haven't planned out what to do for water traps or drains, but that stuff along with fittings and air hose is fairly generic

Hope this helped

Last edited by MELLO*SOS; 10-04-08 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-05-08, 08:28 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I do....test fitting rims....will not tuck....yet
Attached Thumbnails Do you have air ?-img_0768.jpg  
Old 10-05-08, 11:27 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mello all you need is a digital setup to make it simple and clean .
You biggest problem you are running a system at 120lbs which is so low it is unusable for the street.
Then you can plumb lines to outside for deflating which are quieter .
You can keep the lines you have they are not the problem .
Add 1 viair 380 or 480 and it will take seconds. I have the same car with one 380 and it takes 2-3 minutes to fill the tank from 145 lbs back to 175 . It takes an average of 20 lbs total to lift my car and maybe 1/2 second for all 4 corners .
Let me know if you have questions and throw me a pm , i'll be glad to help you out.
Old 10-05-08, 08:03 PM
El Captain
Lead Lap

Man i want to be so bad and hopefully i will soon!
Old 10-06-08, 05:45 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skperformance
You biggest problem you are running a system at 120lbs which is so low it is unusable for the street.
Add 1 viair 380 or 480 and it will take seconds. I have the same car with one 380 and it takes 2-3 minutes to fill the tank from 145 lbs back to 175 . It takes an average of 20 lbs total to lift my car and maybe 1/2 second for all 4 corners .
Let me know if you have questions and throw me a pm , i'll be glad to help you out.
Now thats the man with the answers

Melllo, I sent you another email with more instructions
Old 10-06-08, 08:41 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
Now that's the man with the answers:thumb up:
Thanks

I am glad to help , after all the problems i have had with my system and knowing absolutely nothing about air back then . Now it is where i could build a system and install it in a day . It only makes sense to pass the info on to others who are interested in doing it and not make the costly $$$$$ mistakes i made relying on bad information from guessers.
Old 10-07-08, 08:48 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

I have some questions (Don't know where else to ask but to lurk into Air treads).

I have a set of Canovers (came with the car), but the rear left seals are leaking badly, took them out and replaced with HKS Hipermax RS. Then they've been in the unheated garage for a year together with the tanks and pumps etc...

Not only that, I have 1 of the 2 Viair pump fried.

I couldn't find anyone to fix it, nor could I contact Canover via Email since I don't know Japanese, thus i am now on HKS RS coilovers right now.
I was looking around recently and saw UAS's bag was applicable to HKS or so it say on their site... then I priced out parts I shall need:
-2 uas bags $400
-rear brackets for the bags (I'm going to use the Canovers for the front) $40
-a compressor (1 of the compressor's fried) $300
-a Dakota digital auto levelling system (original is digital guage with 2 buttons, 1 for the front and 1 for the back, but I want auto level) $800

it all comes out to about $1540

Or the other option is to send the left rear Canover to Japan for fixing, which fixing shouldn't be much, its overhaul is about $200, then parts for seals etc... should be around max in total $500. Then there's shipping which I've heard it's about $300 each way...
-compressor about $300
-auto level about $800

so this way would cut me about $2200

Unless I could somehow get just 1 rear left Canover that's good and not leaking.... (anyone know? this might be the cheapest way too... )

I have all other hardwares, lines still set in the car (if I go auto level, more and re-wiring is needed I think) But I might want to change to a pancake tank(which is $156 from airrunner).

And here's the worries...
I'm in cold weather territory, I heard I should get a heater or something to prevent water forming? I don't know if the current set up have water traps, only the tank have a line to I guess to pump air in, but when I received the car (when I bought it) rusty color looking air and water came out when I purge it from there...(is the tank still good?)
I'm told I should change mine to hydraulic lines?
Also I want to know if anyone know the autolevelling system is good and how fast it responds...

Should I go with air still? I'm fine with my ride right now, just that the Cans and stuff is collecting dust and I've heard using bags/cans will give better ride quality, I'm on HKS RS with softest setting, I still find it hard.
Old 10-08-08, 11:36 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Solo , please make a new thread and we can help you answer your questions about getting air ,this thread is for set ups in use.
thanks
Old 10-09-08, 01:15 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Done, sorry for the time.
Old 10-13-08, 03:37 PM
MELLO*SOS
Driver School Candidate

Hi SK, thanks for the reply! I'm looking at the Autoloc Air Command controller, and Viair 480C compressor(s), switched at 200psi. I'll leave the 1/4 lines for now and upgrade to some electric valves and higher tank PSI to see if that speeds it up a little. The front dumps in about 3-4 seconds, rear takes a good 15-20 seconds to dump. Raising takes a long time, but like you said the low tank pressure really hurts.. Plus single small compressor takes forever to recover. I'll send you a PM when I get to that point of actually putting together the upgrade, I'm sure you have some good info

Originally Posted by skperformance
Old 10-13-08, 03:41 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that is a long time to raise and lower your car. My car dumps/raises as soon as you hit the switch but I don't do it that quick cause it doesn't sound good for the suspension
Old 10-13-08, 10:17 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I'll start a thread for you as well melo as you may have a slew of issues.
Old 10-16-08, 06:37 PM
MELLO*SOS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Probably a couple months before I mess with the suspension, I want to upgrade the audio first. I'll make a video so you guys can see how long it takes to lift/dump the car on a full tank.
Old 10-17-08, 10:07 PM
kimanh
Rookie

how the ride comfort on airbags ? is it a smooth ride or lil harsh?
Old 12-26-08, 09:46 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Are most of you guys with UAS running on stock shocks?

Quick Reply: Do you have air ?