Old 03-14-17, 05:21 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Update

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/13/l...=hp-tile-large

Lexus will build a production version of the UX crossover

Joel Stocksdale
It seems that Lexus's selection of crossovers is about to get bigger by going smaller. The Australian automotive news site Motoring says a Lexus representative confirmed that a production version of the UX concept is coming soon. A Lexus representative said it will help bring younger customers to the brand.

As a refresher, the UX was a subcompact crossover shown at the Paris auto show, and it was quite striking. The exterior was
a flurry of curves and angles, and the interior had crazy seats with elastic straps instead of cushions and a holographic user interface. The interior even had a weird, finned sound bar in the dash that could be removed and carried around. The futuristic interior features are practically guaranteed to be exclusive to the concept, and the exterior design will probably be toned down.

Since the slightly larger Lexus NX borrows some bits from the RAV4, we expect the UX to utilize some underpinnings from another the smallest crossover in the Toyota line, the
Toyota C-HR. Sharing with the C-HR would also mean the UX would also have some commonality with the current Prius, as both vehicles use the scalable architecture known as TNGA. This would also mean a hybrid UX is a strong possibility as well, since the Prius is only available as a hybrid, and the C-HR has a hybrid option in Europe and Japan.

It's hard to say when the car will arrive, but considering the compact crossover craze we can't imagine that Lexus wants to wait too long. It's possible a near production-ready concept will appear at a show next year, and would likely reach dealers at the end of that year or the start of the following one.
Old 03-14-17, 11:10 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

NX is small already, how much smaller can this be? I'd rather see a 7 seater from Lexus than this moped.
Old 03-14-17, 02:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Q3, X1, GLA, QX30 etc. are smaller than the NX so there is probably room for a smaller Lexus CUV.
Old 03-14-17, 09:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
NX is small already, how much smaller can this be? I'd rather see a 7 seater from Lexus than this moped.

Didn't Lexus already state their intention to compete in the 7 seat crossover category? Didn't they already trademark TX?

And to all the people saying UX better not look like concept....guys isn't it already obvious that it won't?
Old 03-14-17, 09:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
And to all the people saying UX better not look like concept....guys isn't it already obvious that it won't?
one can only hope.
Old 03-15-17, 10:02 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a testdrive with the Toyota CH-R and the CH-R has the interior quality of a Ct or IS and the comfort itself is good enough in every way . I can`t really see why you would buy the more expensive Lexus version since Im sure that it will have the very same hybrid system and petrol option as the CH-R.
Old 10-15-17, 03:08 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I took a test drive of the Toyota C-HR and was not very impressed. The only few negative things I can say about it are:

1) Engine is not very powerful. Feels like a bit of a struggle at high speed, especially on an incline.
2) Does not seem to have a high build quality. Perhaps good enough considering the price, but I would pay more for better quality. I don't think the overall build quality is as good as my Solara (2-door Camry).
3) Factory-installed moon roof not available.
4) Just a tad too bumpy for me. I want a little more cushiness !
5) Rear window visibility is poor.
6) Rear tail lamps look very vulnerable.
7) Stereo sounded so-so.

On the plus side:

1) I LOVE the look - especially the 2-door look and it has 4 doors!
2) Interior feels great.
3) I LOVE Toyota and Lexus!!!
4) This model is priced very reasonably.
5) Plenty of cargo room if you fold down rear seats.
6) Better gas mileage than my current vehicles (Solara and SC430).
7) Nice modern safety features.
8) Electronic steering is nice.
9) Not sure about this one - transmission is sealed - no need to replace fluid. Is this good or bad?

I then discovered this 'concept' Lexus UX and am VERY excited about it. I see the UX as being the Lexus version of the C-HR. I'm expecting better engine options, a cushier ride, and better build quality overall. I'm also hoping that it comes with a factory moon roof option. Of course, the price will be more, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I went into a dealership this weekend to inquire. The first salesman never heard of it. The second one scratched his head and then remembered that he received a notice of this just a few weeks ago. Although the internet is saying that it will be available in November, this salesman said it won't come until summer.

The reviews of the Nissan Juke stated that as far as the styling goes - people either loved it, or hated it. I, for one, happen to LOVE it. But I would like to stick with Toyota/Lexus. I see the C-HR as a direct competitor to the Juke and the Honda one, and the UX as the Lexus version of the C-HR. I love the look of all of them, but would strongly prefer to stick with Toyota/Lexus and have high hopes for this new UX.

Last edited by LexMan2003; 10-15-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 09:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
I took a test drive of the Toyota C-HR and was not very impressed. The only few negative things I can say about it are:

1) Engine is not very powerful. Feels like a bit of a struggle at high speed, especially on an incline.
2) Does not seem to have a high build quality. Perhaps good enough considering the price, but I would pay more for better quality. I don't think the overall build quality is as good as my Solara (2-door Camry).
3) Factory-installed moon roof not available.
4) Just a tad too bumpy for me. I want a little more cushiness !
5) Rear window visibility is poor.
6) Rear tail lamps look very vulnerable.
7) Stereo sounded so-so.

On the plus side:

1) I LOVE the look - especially the 2-door look and it has 4 doors!
2) Interior feels great.
3) I LOVE Toyota and Lexus!!!
4) This model is priced very reasonably.
5) Plenty of cargo room if you fold down rear seats.
6) Better gas mileage than my current vehicles (Solara and SC430).
7) Nice modern safety features.
8) Electronic steering is nice.
9) Not sure about this one - transmission is sealed - no need to replace fluid. Is this good or bad?

I then discovered this 'concept' Lexus UX and am VERY excited about it. I see the UX as being the Lexus version of the C-HR. I'm expecting better engine options, a cushier ride, and better build quality overall. I'm also hoping that it comes with a factory moon roof option. Of course, the price will be more, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I went into a dealership this weekend to inquire. The first salesman never heard of it. The second one scratched his head and then remembered that he received a notice of this just a few weeks ago. Although the internet is saying that it will be available in November, this salesman said it won't come until summer.

The reviews of the Nissan Juke stated that as far as the styling goes - people either loved it, or hated it. I, for one, happen to LOVE it. But I would like to stick with Toyota/Lexus. I see the C-HR as a direct competitor to the Juke and the Honda one, and the UX as the Lexus version of the C-HR. I love the look of all of them, but would strongly prefer to stick with Toyota/Lexus and have high hopes for this new UX.
Car & Driver was not impressed at all with the dynamics of the C-HR. They said it was a half effort from Toyota. But I think for the price, you get a decent return of a vehicle. Most people don't need to reach 60 mph in under 8 seconds.

Never trust or believe any salesperson regarding future model info. They are usually not auto enthusiasts and don't know, or are going to tell you nothing is on the way in order to steer a sale towards now (not later for a later car).
Old 10-16-17, 12:37 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, Toyota better step up their game because the Honda HR-V/Vezel is one heck of a car. It drives like a CRX from decades back with compact dimensions, crisp handling and a cozy yet stylish interior. I've driven the top 1.8 liter CVT variant and I feel it's first CVT that doesn't suck. The quality of the soft plastics is almost NX level, better than on my ES.
Old 10-16-17, 03:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Well, Toyota better step up their game because the Honda HR-V/Vezel is one heck of a car. It drives like a CRX from decades back with compact dimensions, crisp handling and a cozy yet stylish interior. I've driven the top 1.8 liter CVT variant and I feel it's first CVT that doesn't suck. The quality of the soft plastics is almost NX level, better than on my ES.
The auto press has not raved a whole lot about the HR-V. It's a bit ho-hum, with so-so power and decent handling. Interior is pretty plain. I think the new Toyota makes a bigger visual impact inside and out, but the mechanics lag.
Old 10-16-17, 07:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
You and I must have sat in totally different HR-Vs. I do not remember a "stylish interior" where "quality of the soft plastics is almost NX level". I remember a cheap, forgettable interior and exterior.
Old 10-16-17, 07:11 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The HR-V would go from decent to firecracker spectacular if it had a recent Honda turbo engine instead of the boring atmospheric stuff. The interior looks plain and simple but with good materials choices and build quality.

A Lexus-fied CH-R could sell just as well as the NX if it had striking exterior and interior design with better materials than its Toyota cousin. Most buyers won't mind the lack of driving dynamics or the firm ride.
Old 10-17-17, 10:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a full camo little suv on busy I15 highway on the way hike today, the design shape are clearly Lexus, and very similar to CH-R, so it would be the UX. The traffic was too bad, by the time I pulled out my phone, it was blocked and snowed so I couldn’t get any pictures.
Old 10-18-17, 06:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Saw a full camo little suv on busy I15 highway on the way hike today, the design shape are clearly Lexus, and very similar to CH-R, so it would be the UX. The traffic was too bad, by the time I pulled out my phone, it was blocked and snowed so I couldn’t get any pictures.
it snowed it Vegas?

from Motortrend...

Despite being smaller than the NX, the UX probably will share its powertrains with the larger Lexus SUV. The company already has trademarked UX200, UX250, and UX250h, suggesting a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder as standard and a gasoline-electric hybrid drivetrain as optional.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-18-17 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 06:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
it snowed it Vegas?

from Motortrend...
Its gonna need the powertrains. It's quite heavy for its size apparently and it will only get heavier once its Lexified with additional plastics, leather, sound deadening and etc.

Quick Reply: Lexus UX