Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Do I need a new tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 12:42 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a new tire?

Hey fellow CLers, need some help here. I took the tire off my front wheel yesterday (Falken FK452 245/30/20), and the tire guy told me that the inner portion of the tire is bubbling, which means that I should get a new tire soon. He said I can roll on it for short distances, but shouldn't drive on it for long. I just wanted to check-in to see if what he's saying is legit.

I'm well aware of tire bubbling issues, but this one seems weird. Usually, there is visible deformation of the tire from the outside, but this time the tire looks perfect when it's mounted. But once it's dismounted, and you put your hand inside the wall, there is definitely an even air pocket that runs through the entire diameter of the inner tire, but only on the side closest to the suspension. It's almost like an inner tube. I ran my hand around the other side, and it was definitely flat and didn't have an air pocket around it.

I'm guessing that the two sides of the tire should match, so certainly this is not a "feature" of the tire, right? I guess I just want to make sure this is not a defect, and I'd also like to find out whether I need a new tire asap. The problem is that there is no way to tell whether my other tires are affected unless I dismount all of them.

I have attached a couple of pix to illustrate the part of the tire I'm talking about. Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 03-29-11, 01:22 PM
MrKV
Rookie

Never seen the bubbling on the inside like that before, but any bubbling is not good and I would say that you do need a new tire.
Old 03-29-11, 07:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

caused by overheating of the tires sidewall, or a general defect...

as your guy said, bad stuff, definitely get it replaced - could fail at any time... the inner liner is actually what is responsible for holding the air pressure...
Old 03-29-11, 08:14 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

diffinitly replace that tire because its not safe to use anymore or this could happen to you while your driving. Another reason why i would never buy falken fk452 again

Old 03-29-11, 09:37 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

^ Yikes! That's crazy! I hope that didn't cause significant damage!

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Falkens...I've seen so many people run these without issues, and they have good reviews, so that's why I chose them in the first place. hm.

Thanks for the input guys. Is there a way to reveal the defect without having to dismount my other 3 tires? Otherwise, should I just dismount all 4 just in case?
Old 03-30-11, 03:28 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AznRacer
diffinitly replace that tire because its not safe to use anymore or this could happen to you while your driving. Another reason why i would never buy falken fk452 again

Sorry, but that damage is caused by driving the tire low on air pressure and it getting severely overheated... I've seen it a thousand times... It has nothing to do with the brand or the tire itself, unfortunately...

I've seen every single brand and style of tire with that type of damage, and every one of them was because it was low on air pressure... usually you can find a nail, screw, or sometimes it was the valve or the tire to wheel connection that was leaking...
Old 03-30-11, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah any bubble is no good, change for sure
Old 04-12-11, 11:40 AM
is350memb
Driver

get a replacement bro. your life vs money! u choose
Old 04-22-11, 11:39 PM
PeneAce
Driver School Candidate

You definitely need a new tire, never put money infront of your life.