Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Recommendations on all seasons tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 07:52 AM
optsgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on all seasons tires

I have a 2006 is 250 AWD.

Looking for all season tires. I currently have the Bridgestone RE92.

What do you think about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?

If anyone has any other recommendations, would love to hear positive/negatives about the tires.
Old 10-25-09, 08:02 AM
HomieG
Driver

I think you'll find excellent reviews of the Michelin A/S's around here. Personally, I recently purchased a set of 18" Kumho Platinum's for my GS300 and have found them to be excellent in all respects. They've got about 5,000 miles and 5 months on them. Handle very well dry and wet, are quiet, and were reasonably priced. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 10-25-09, 09:02 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

The current issue of Consumer Reports test 4 different types of tires - Michelin was rated best in all four categories. Buy them at Costco when they are running the $70 off a set of four promotion (every other month or every third month).
Old 10-25-09, 09:19 AM
BlueOnyx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by optsgirl
I have a 2006 is 250 AWD.

Looking for all season tires. I currently have the Bridgestone RE92.

What do you think about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?

If anyone has any other recommendations, would love to hear positive/negatives about the tires.

Those are the exact tires I got for my 2006 IS AWD. I probably have about 30k on the tires and performance seems good. Wet traction is never a issue. The only thing I am unsure about is tire noise. It might be just in my head but they seem to be a tad louder. I guess the only way to really tell is to compare them back to back.

The other tire I considered was the Turanza but prices for these tires seem out of line when I was shopping for them.

Based on the tires performance to date, I would buy them again.
Old 10-25-09, 09:22 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the continental Conti Extreme. dws they are awesome...stick in any weather!!
Old 10-25-09, 09:24 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kuhmo ecsta asx. love them. can't beat the performance for the price
Old 10-25-09, 10:51 AM
GresyGinzo
Driver School Candidate

I have dunlop sport maxx's on my 350 and they are nice. Ride is very good with sport package handling and traction in dry and wet is excellent as well. I also have dunlop sp sport a/s on my R32 and they are very good all season tires.
Old 10-25-09, 05:20 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

I like them a lot, and is probably one of the highest-recommended tires for overall comfort, performance and longevity. The only downside is their high price. It'll last me 37-40k miles, and I'm ready to get a new set or get the Continental ExtremeContact DWS which are a new design for Continental.

I posted a review of my Pilot Sport A/S on tirerack.com: "I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus to replace my OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx UHP summer tire that lasted 22k miles. They were excellent dry and warm-wet weather tires, but I needed a replacement with a much longer lifespan and better traction in cold and frost. I've now driven 34k miles on the Michelins in 2 years, and expect to get 37-40k miles on them. I'm a somewhat spirited driver when conditions allow, and like to try to use all 306hp my IS350 has.

The Michelin is an excellent commute tire. It has excellent comfort and low noise throughout its life for a low-profile 18" tire (225/40-18 front, 255/40-18 rear). Excellent dry and wet grip in regular driving conditions, even in cold weather and frost. I've never driven it in snow. When pushing this tire in fast turns, it very gradually looses grip - it first starts to squeal, then goes into a gradual understeer. Very easy to control. On-center steering feel is a bit soft and overall steering feels vague at high speeds (over 110mph+) compared to the Dunlop Sport Maxx, but that's probably an unfair comparison. Of course, ultimate grip is not as good as the Dunlops in dry or wet, but that's the trade-off I was OK with. I'm either going to get this tire again, or try out the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS."
Old 10-26-09, 03:41 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

Thank you all for the feedback!
Old 09-03-10, 12:10 PM
intellis
Pole Position

yeah good feedback guys, i am in the market for two front tires.
Old 09-03-10, 09:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Michellins then Bridgestones...
Old 09-03-10, 09:35 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
The current issue of Consumer Reports test 4 different types of tires - Michelin was rated best in all four categories. Buy them at Costco when they are running the $70 off a set of four promotion (every other month or every third month).
Can you post the results ?
Old 01-04-11, 06:57 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Did some research and just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for my 01 GS300 size that was OEM on my car was 215/60/16, which the DWS aren't offered in, however Lexus went to 225/55/16 in the later years of the GS300 (2005) and this is the size I am now running. I called up multiple places including discount tire, tire rack, and a couple local places all recommended the DWS as a very good tire best bang for the buck, even saying that the Michelin's were the best before these tires came out but since this came out a few years ago it's been one of the top tires for people who want a good all season tire and have snow in mind. I got them from Discount Tire, not sure if it matters but they only had the Z rated tires, I wanted to get the H or V rated tires, however I'm sure the Z rated will be fine also, I've heard Z rated wear out faster it still has a 540 tire wear rating, and I think it's extra smooth do to the Z rated rubber, I have Z rated 19" Hankook V12 on my other car and eventhough there's barely any sidewall man are they smooth too (very good gripping ultra high performance summer tires also I highly recommend). I paid $560 out the door w/ tax for the set this included the road hazard warantee from Discount Tire. They basically matched the price from TireRack and added thier install price which sounded fair to me. Tire is brand new so far so good very smooth very little road noise, took them up to 90 and dtd did a great job with the balancing and even put away my spare with all the parts in the right places for the tools thought that was very nice of them. they also installed the best tire from my previous Goodyear tires onto my fullsize spare. Good guys at both discount and tirerack.