Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 10:40 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R

Which would you guys pick? I definitely want a 20" mesh wheel (staggerred set-up of course) and I would like it to be unique. I know not to many people have Work wheels since they must be imported from Japan, but the HRE 540R is very limited as of right now. I know the HRE's will be a lot more expensive, but I am willing to spend my money to get the look I want and have a high quality rim.

Here's a pic of the Work Rezax 2 with a reverse lip on a Porche...
Attached Thumbnails Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R-work-rezax-porche.jpg  
Old 03-11-02, 10:42 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Here's a pic of the HRE 540R on a Porche which is from another thread...
Attached Thumbnails Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R-hre-540r-porche.jpg  
Old 03-12-02, 12:40 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both are great wheel, but I would pick HRE because if anything ever goes wrong with the wheels or you need it repaired, HRE is "local"...Work? Good luck...

Besides, with the HRE's, you can get your offsets customized and you can customize the finish...also, say a couple years from now you don't like the finish anymore, guess what, HRE can re-do them...
Old 03-12-02, 04:44 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manaray - The above HRE looks like a reverse lips to me, or is it still normal?

Both wheels are great looking, but I would still go for reverse lips Work. HRE is also stunning, and the logo speaks for itself, but.... ~~~lips lips lips!!
Old 03-12-02, 07:52 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R

Originally posted by daygo718
Which would you guys pick? I definitely want a 20" mesh wheel (staggerred set-up of course) and I would like it to be unique. I know not to many people have Work wheels since they must be imported from Japan, but the HRE 540R is very limited as of right now. I know the HRE's will be a lot more expensive, but I am willing to spend my money to get the look I want and have a high quality rim.

Here's a pic of the Work Rezax 2 with a reverse lip on a Porche...
Is that Rezax on the Porsche a custom set-up? The lip looks over 4 inches wide, maybe closer to 5"!!!! I thought the Work Rezax II wheels had a max lip of about 31/2 inches???? Can one of you guys verify if Work does or does not do "custom" widths???? On their web-site they dont show lip sizes, but, I know that with a super low disc(O-type) Equip or Rezax, the max "advertised" lip is about 80-90mm....
It would be hard to decide between the two, partially because the Rezax pic is a chrome wheel.... BIG lips have a huge appeal though...heeheehee

Last edited by tinygs; 03-12-02 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-12-02, 09:16 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Manaray- Any word on the HRE 540R...are they officially producing them to the mass public yet? I know you were trying to get a set. Also, do you have an idea how much the 540R will be going for in 20's? I assume more than the retail price of the normal lip 540. I understand your point in having HRE local just in case anything happens to the wheels...I am definitely taking that into consideration.

gsintensive- the work wheel is a reverse lip...sick rear lip! I'm with you on the lip situation. I think HRE can give you as deep a lip as you want since they customize their wheels and as long as your car can take the fitment properly.
Old 03-12-02, 11:25 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the HRE's better.
Old 03-12-02, 11:42 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm partial to the HRE's... the 540 is really stunning in person.

The Porsche in the photo is clearly a widebody, which allows for the massive rear lip.

I am not aware of anyone using more than a 3" lip on the rear of an SC. HRE can do it: my SC will have:

19x9 2" lip 549R brushed center/polished lip
19x10 3" lip 549R brushed center/polished lip

I thought about waiting for the 20s, but I decided the tradeoff in increased diameter & weight of the 20s wasn't worth it... just my personal opinion.

The 20" with reverse-lip HREs are still a few months off (more tooling is required to produce the correct rim parts). Also, a new 'center' forging must be designed, tooled for, and sample wheels must be built & tested.

Here's HRE's SEMA car, with brushed centers & polished rims.
Attached Thumbnails Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R-porsche-996540r-19.jpg  
Old 03-12-02, 01:26 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Despite what some may say, HRE 540Rs will not be available for the forseeable future. I would go with the 440R series or Blitz.

My god those Work wheels are ugly... looks like something Master P would cruise around on. "bling bling"

Last edited by Wheel Kinetics; 03-12-02 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-12-02, 05:40 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

For the desired affect it sounds like you are after:
20"x8.5", 20x9.5" Work RezaxII Silver face w/polished lip would fit the bill. The Silver paint from Work is beautiful! But dont think for a second its gonna have a lip like the pic of the Porsche you posted. Or, if you can stand a standard lip, you can still go with the HRE. If 19" is acceptable, the Blitz technospeed Z1 is sick also....
Old 03-13-02, 12:13 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well SUPPOSIDLY I'm suppose to get a set of 20" 540R's soon...we'll see (HRE isn't the best when it comes to hitting dates)...hopefully, they'll come through...

GSIntensive - I think those are reverse...the yellow one is DEFINITELY reverse...

If I was going to do 19", I would DEFINITELY do the HRE 441R's...I just can't bring myself to do 19's on my GS430...20's fit so perfectly....
Old 03-13-02, 12:49 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by manaray
Well SUPPOSIDLY I'm suppose to get a set of 20" 540R's soon...we'll see (HRE isn't the best when it comes to hitting dates)...hopefully, they'll come through...

GSIntensive - I think those are reverse...the yellow one is DEFINITELY reverse...

If I was going to do 19", I would DEFINITELY do the HRE 441R's...I just can't bring myself to do 19's on my GS430...20's fit so perfectly....
I've found them to be very good in hitting dates... have you given them your 50% deposit???
Old 03-13-02, 01:29 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hmmm, we'll I've delt with a couple order from them and their build times aren't exactly right on...(it usually seems like it's outside forces, not HRE internally)...

I haven't given them my deposit yet but I'm scheduled to go down there soon (hopefully before the meet) to get my wheel redone (to 100% new condition) and I was going to give them a 100% deposit like I did with my 543's...but this time, I'm going to hold them to their date...I might do something a little different this time around though in terms of finish....
Old 03-13-02, 01:36 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by manaray
Hmmm, we'll I've delt with a couple order from them and their build times aren't exactly right on...(it usually seems like it's outside forces, not HRE internally)...

I haven't given them my deposit yet but I'm scheduled to go down there soon (hopefully before the meet) to get my wheel redone (to 100% new condition) and I was going to give them a 100% deposit like I did with my 543's...but this time, I'm going to hold them to their date...I might do something a little different this time around though in terms of finish....
Let me know when that happens....
Old 03-13-02, 04:18 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Wheel Kinetics

Let me know when that happens....
Let me know too.

Quick Reply: Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R