Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

if brembo bbk will clear, will supra bbk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 11:56 PM
will33184
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if brembo bbk will clear, will supra bbk?

im about to purchase 20" wheels from a member ehre and was wondering

if he was able to clear brembo bbk on his car

would i be able to clear Supra tt calipers on the same wheel setup?

they are gsxotic's trafficstar stms.

thanks
Old 09-15-06, 12:44 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about Mark's wheels but the TTs require more clearance than the Brembos. If wheels will clear TTs, it WILL clear Brembos. If they clear Brembos, they MAY clear TTs.
Old 09-15-06, 01:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the wheels clear my ap racing by quite a bit, i still have space. i am pretty sure it will clear tt.
Old 09-15-06, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

btw, i said "mine" coz' i believe i have the same front setup as his
Old 09-15-06, 01:18 AM
will33184
Lead Lap

thanks alot for the info

im hoping they will but im not sure how to make sure other than actually buying a pair of supra calipers...
Old 09-15-06, 03:59 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I don't know about Mark's wheels but the TTs require more clearance than the Brembos. If wheels will clear TTs, it WILL clear Brembos. If they clear Brembos, they MAY clear TTs.
i agree with Neo...the brembo caliper are longer in length wise...but the tt calipers are fat width wise...so it may affect clearance.

but if it cleared rominl's AP racing...it has a good chance clearing TT as well
Old 09-15-06, 06:05 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the wheels clear my ap racing by quite a bit, i still have space. i am pretty sure it will clear tt.

Rominl, could you guess how much "fatter" the TT brakes are compared to the AP Racing? I tried the TT brakes on my car and my IForged are Hi-Disk and the just barely touched the TT's. I am now looking at a set of pre-owned AP 6 pot. Do you think they should clear? I only needed about .5 mm.
Old 09-15-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Rominl, could you guess how much "fatter" the TT brakes are compared to the AP Racing? I tried the TT brakes on my car and my IForged are Hi-Disk and the just barely touched the TT's. I am now looking at a set of pre-owned AP 6 pot. Do you think they should clear? I only needed about .5 mm.
(completely guess on measurement here). i have seen a same set of wheels on both the ap racing and the supra tt. the tt was closer to the spokes than the ap racing maybe by around 3/8"? not more than 1/2" i guess. keep in mind the ap racing has larger rotors so i am just talking about the closest spot

i will take a look at my wheels today when i go to work and try to "imagine" more
Old 09-15-06, 10:32 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by TexasGS
The APs are in between the TTs and Brembos. If you just needed .5mm (how did you measure that? ) to clear the TTs, you should have enough space for the APs. I don't have exact measurements (which is bad ) but this is just data extrapolation from research when I was looking at BBKs in conjuction with when I did test fitting wheels onto cars with different brakes with RMMGS4.
Old 09-15-06, 11:08 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the .5mm was just a guess . All I know is that my wheels were just barely nicking the TT's. It was probably more like .1mm . I figured that with my wheels being that close, almost any other BBK would fit considering the TT's are about as fat as there is. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-17-06, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i looked at my wheels again, i think i have about 1/4" space or so between the ap racing caliper and the back of the spokes? so you bet the judge now
Old 09-23-06, 01:21 PM
cino78h
Driver

this is what that confused me..supra TT brakes is on in 17'' factory wheels..why woun't its will clear 19''???maybe ppl on here are gaving out wrong infor.??i guess the only way to find out is just do it on your own and find out?
Old 09-23-06, 02:18 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by cino78h
this is what that confused me..supra TT brakes is on in 17'' factory wheels..why woun't its will clear 19''???maybe ppl on here are gaving out wrong infor.??i guess the only way to find out is just do it on your own and find out?
There are 2 clearance issues: rotors and calipers. You are talking about rotor clearance. We are talking about caliper (thickness) clearance.
Old 09-26-06, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cino78h
neo is correct, rotor clearance and caliper clearance has absolutely nothing to do with each other, and no information here so far are wrong.

for rotor (brake) clearance, supra tt setup is 12.7" rotors, and 17s will clear. in fact up to 13.5" will clear no problem. 14" rotors you need at least 18", and 15" rotors you need 19". haven't seen anything larger (or at least not common at all)

for caliper clearance it's all about the spoke design and how much it comes out to clear the brakes
Old 09-26-06, 04:03 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess it all depends on how you're looking at the issue of brake clearance.

There are two Brembo kits for the front of the GS and two for the front of the Supra. Although the kit numbers differ, the basic dimensions are the same.

In my experience, I've found that the big factor with wheel/caliper clearance is "X-factor," or the amount that the calipers 'overhang' the vehicle's hub (wheel mounting surface). Most of the time is you're going 18" or larger wheels there isn't much of an issue of the caliper hitting the barrel of the wheel... the calipers touch the back of the wheels' spokes. Did that make sense?

Anyway, I have a set of Supra TT caliper and rotors in my garage, and I have found that the "X-Factor" of the caliper is 37mm. All the Supra & Lexus Brembo kits have a 40.5mm "X-Factor;" in terms of building wheels, the Brembos technically are larger and present more challenges than the OE Supra brakes.

Normally, you'd like to have 3mm or more clearance between the wheels' spokes and the calipers, as a safety margin... due to the curved nature of the spokes on many wheels, it is difficult to predict exactly where and when clearance issues will occur.

Many manufacturers of big brake kits will have a template available which you can cut-out and apply to the back of the wheel to assure proper caliper clearance. As far as I'm concerned, StopTech does the best job in the industry with furnishing SPECIFIC information about caliper dimensions (I helped them format their template system).

No such template exists for the OE Supra calipers, so it is a trial-an-error affair (unfortunately). I'm putting the Supra calipers (with new rotors) on my '85 MR2 , but if I can find the box they're stored in, I'll measure them and create a template if that would be helpful...

Quick Reply: if brembo bbk will clear, will supra bbk?