Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rim experts... please help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 05:11 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim experts... please help...

i have a stock 2000gs and i am planning to get 20's.... i would still like my ride quality as close to stock as it can be with 20's...i do not race or drive hard..i just cruise.. i need little more information before i do this...

1. i will be getting the tein cs coilover for this project
2. trd or daizan sways? (i heard some people have this but do i need this?)
3. whats a good offset setup for this for front and rear?
4. would you recommend geting aftermarket springs and shocks since im getting coilovers? or is this setup ok with the stock?
5. how about the suspension?

this is all i came up, please add anything to my list or if i had miss anything. let me know your ideas and recomendations.. thank you
Old 04-19-06, 09:14 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saelee39
i have a stock 2000gs and i am planning to get 20's.... i would still like my ride quality as close to stock as it can be with 20's...i do not race or drive hard..i just cruise.. i need little more information before i do this...

1. i will be getting the tein cs coilover for this project
2. trd or daizan sways? (i heard some people have this but do i need this?)
3. whats a good offset setup for this for front and rear?
4. would you recommend geting aftermarket springs and shocks since im getting coilovers? or is this setup ok with the stock?
5. how about the suspension?

this is all i came up, please add anything to my list or if i had miss anything. let me know your ideas and recomendations.. thank you
1. Good choice
2. If you are OK with the current handling, then you don't need this. If ride quality is important and you want sways, then go for Daizen.
3. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115165
4. Coilovers replace the OEM shocks and springs. The coilovers are all you need.
5. Again, unless you want to beef up handling, you do not need these either. Try the wheels with the Tein CS first and see how you like things.

Keep in mind that the ride will never be like stock. Going from 16s (or 17s) to 20s, you lose rubber sidewall. With less (and stiffer) rubber, you get less cushioning. The best you can do is to minimize ride quality loss.
Old 04-19-06, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

chris has already covered everything ther eis nothing much i can add
Old 04-19-06, 11:48 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just to add to what Chris mentioned, you'll feel less body roll with bigger wheels since the sidewall is thinner. with that in mind- you may not feel the daizen sway bars are necessary unless you go for fast cornering.
Old 04-20-06, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cliffud
just to add to what Chris mentioned, you'll feel less body roll with bigger wheels since the sidewall is thinner. with that in mind- you may not feel the daizen sway bars are necessary unless you go for fast cornering.
no way. imho the stiffer and shorter sidewall yes will reduce tire compresson on cornering, but the body roll itself is still far greater than the tire compression, and with sway bars you can feel it on most turns, unless you do like 10mph
Old 04-20-06, 10:22 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i meant to say what henry said.

i think he would take his turns at 10mph. he said he just cruises.
Old 04-20-06, 11:52 AM
saelee39
Pole Position

thanks everyone for your feedback.. ill go ahead and just get the rims and coils..
Old 04-20-06, 02:44 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

one more thing regarding the offset.. for example if it is : 20x8.5 +38 20x9.5 +38, what does the +38 mean?

this is regarding the tein edfc, i was reading about it but i just got get whats it for... ? where would this go on my car?
Old 04-20-06, 05:58 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saelee39
one more thing regarding the offset.. for example if it is : 20x8.5 +38 20x9.5 +38, what does the +38 mean?

this is regarding the tein edfc, i was reading about it but i just got get whats it for... ? where would this go on my car?
You can google wheel offset or search on CL for a more technical definition and it is easier to visualize with pictures. The quick answer is that that number affects how the wheels fit in relations to the wheel hub. The lower the number, the more outwards the wheels will be. Vice versa, the higher the number, the more recessed it will be. You can even go past the fender if you get the appropriate offset. Every car can fit wheels of different offsets so an offset that is too outwards (aggressive) for one car will be to mild for another car.

Tein EDFC controls the shock valving of Tein coilovers. From your POV, It basically controls how stiff or soft the ride is.
Old 04-20-06, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

here's explanation on offset

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101