Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Vibration at 60mph, not a balancing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 02:12 PM
kswagner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the yellow crayon thing and

I have 17" stock chrome wheels too and am experiencing exactly what Swerve is experiencing...my tires are NOT moving on the rim (even though I had hoped they would).
I have had my tires balanced and rebalanced, road forced, changed out Yokos for Pirellis, and still have vibration 60-80MPH - its driving me INSANE.....
Old 08-15-05, 07:19 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

I'm going through the same crap right now.I neevr had a problem before but all of the sudden it shakes.I had the wheels balanced dynamically,and nothing.Has anyone follwed up with the pre tensioner?I am going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-05, 06:40 AM
bad-gs400
Driver

I was just in Lexus speaking with the head tech and he printed up a TSB for this "shaking" issue. It has to do with 98-99 GS300-400 models. Its actually the steering wheel rack and the TSB is about 7-8 pages with detailed info on how to correct it. The tech said it's like a 5 hour job and since it can have issues with the "return" of the steering wheel locking up, Lexus does not service this anymore (due to liability). He mentioned that it does tighten up the steering but may not fix the issue 100%.
Old 08-16-05, 07:26 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default possible fix

I had this same issue and a search will show you that it is not particular to stock or aftermarket wheels (chrome or otherwise). The only thinkg that I've done that has helped is to loosen all the lugs and retighten with a torque wrench. When you do this do each lug a very little at a time in the star pattern. I did a bout 5 or 6 incremental tightens on each lug through the pattern. I'm not promising anything, but it worked for me.
Old 08-16-05, 09:31 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Stoner mentioned the importance of torquing, and I agree. I had the same vibration issues and multiple rebalances. Being in the railroad business where we torque things to over 420 ft lbs, I wanted to try what we called joint conditioning. No laughs please.

I jacked the car and removed the wheel, and made sure both the mating surfaces were clean of any rust or buildup. Then, I reapplied the wheel and used a 6 step torque sequence, starting at 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 and 75 ft lbs, in a slow, controlled and even manner and a click type torque wrench, going around the pattern several times at each level to be sure there is no movement of the nut at a given torque value. The pattern was the typical star sequence one nut then the one opposite to get an even, slow and controlled joint clamp.

What the heck, nothing to loose, right?

It made a big difference. I would say before the imbalance was 5-6 on a scale of 10. Now it is as good as an 8 at least.

Seems like in the wheel shops they apply them pretty quickly and this car is very sensitive to the proper wheel application.
Old 08-16-05, 08:12 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Went back to the rim shop today.I had them re-balance and everything s perfect again!Once in a blue moon I feel a slight vibration but I am thinking it's the conditions of the road.
Old 03-10-12, 11:23 AM
jbar5563
Driver School Candidate

Im Having the same problem everyone. I have an 03 black with saddle interior 106000 miles and i recently swapped out brake pads front and rear. Before that however i had a tire rotation. After the rotation i experienced the vibration at 55-60 mph turns out the dumbass mechanic didnt put the weights back on the rear tire. So i took it back and they balanced that one tire and it was fine after that. The next day i went and got the brake job done AND HOLLY **** ITS HORRIBLE AT 60 MPH im so pissed i dont know what they did , but i left my car over night at the garage and when i picked it up the seat was all the way back and the ect power button was on and the radio blaring. I'm not a stupid person it seems to me someone was joyriding if you ask me. The vibration is so bad even after a 4 wheel balance it got worse. Im taking it back to the people that change my brake pads "note they didn't turn the rotors when they replaced the pads" i dont know if that may be the cause of the vibration problem. It does vibrate when braking hard but it did that before the brake job and thats because the rotors wernt turned. Anyone have any advice on what i should do!!!!!!!!!????????

Im going to see if maybe they used to much lube for the balance and try that yellow crayon trick i heard on here to see if the tire is slipping away from the bead , but i doubt thats the cause. PLEASE HELP!!
Old 03-10-12, 01:05 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

I have also learned that the front brake rotors are the key to a good smooth balance. I have had 99 and now an 01 GS and in total driven about 150k on these cars. I have experienced the good smooth ride and the annoying vibes on both OE and aftermarket wheels. In general OE wheels seem to do much better.

I always had my rotors turned at a front brake job. They do get warped and that adds to the vibration, even if the wheels are balanced well and torqued correctly. What I found is that rotor turning is good, but when you have some mileage on the car, like over 90k, it's best to replace the rotors w/ new.

I had vibes creeping up again at 110k miles, like everyone, so annoying. Rebalanced, retorqued, even returned the rotors. Still there.

So I bought new rotors, Bosch QuietCast - Brake Rotors Part Number: 50011248 at about $55 each, and some new pads from Lexus (yes they cost a bit more but it is worth it). My thought was the non Lexus pad may put more heat in the rotor and lead to rotor warpage sooner, so to stay w/ OE pads.

The new rotors and Lexus pads cured it all, felt like a new car. It was the best $170 I have spent. So if you have vibrations on the front and are over 100k mileage, you should consider the new rotors. It will help.