Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Locking Wheel Nuts...which system is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 07:22 AM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Wheel Nuts...which system is the best?

I know there is not real 100% protection, but what is the best locking lug nut system out there that you all use. I just bought a set of wheels and want to get the best locking nut system possible.

Thanks....
Old 03-31-05, 07:39 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the vendor forum there is a GB on some Mcgard locks. I just picked up a set myself What wheels did you get
Old 03-31-05, 07:50 AM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

Don't hate me because I don't have a Lexus, but you all Lexus owners have some very sweet and expensive wheels on your rides and I thought that you all would be the most helpful in suggesting a good set of locking nuts. At least it is not a German sedan

Here are the specs on my beasty sedan just as an fyi and I have the upmost respect for the Lexus and the mods available for it.

ET 14.257 @ 99.94mph Moroso Speedway 1/19/05

JWT ECU/TCU, LevelTen Tranny with 2,400 Stall, Eibach with the Blues, Stillen Camber Adjustments, Stillen FTSB, Custom Ram-Air JWT PopCharger, Custom Headers, BRM Exhaust, Powerslot Rotors/Axxis MM Pads......
Attached Thumbnails Locking Wheel Nuts...which system is the best?-13099p1010033-med.jpg  
Old 03-31-05, 12:11 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

We dont hate here on CL. Your ride is very nice. I love the wheels What year is it? Oh yeah what part of FL are you in? That looks really familiar
Old 03-31-05, 12:40 PM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

I just got the wheels this past weekend. The car and I have been on the streets here in Miami for over 4 years now. It is a 1995 Q45T that has had a ton of work done to it in the past year all performance mods oriented and now I am working on the looks of the car....next stop is the paint & body shop to get rid of some parking lot battle scars and then I will be done with modding it. I have owned the car since 1998 and just started last year doing some mods to it since it is my second car now when my other car is running. I have a 69 C3 vert that is getting some work done here and there to make it a very sweet daily driver by updating it with C4 or C5 components such as suspension, brakes, 6-speed tranny, etc. I live in Miami Beach @ 67th & Collins and it is not easy at all to work on a car while living in a condo. I use to have the stock 15" BBS's that are so nice and lightweight compared to even these OZ wheels. My 1/4 ET's have dropped by about 0.15-0.2 secs with the heavier wheels, but I can live with it for now as I really like the updated look and handling the car now has......I work in Brickell (downtown Miami).

Thanks for the info on the wheel lugs....I am trying to get in touch with them to order a set. Otherwise I will order some Gorilla 17mm set that should work okay.

Last edited by rsiwicki; 03-31-05 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-31-05, 01:07 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Do what I did.....Get 5 sets of locks from the group buy going on.....all the locks will be different..........aint nobody getting your wheels then.
Old 03-31-05, 01:20 PM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

thanks all for your help...I just ordered a set and will probably go back and order an additional 4 locking nuts so that I will have 2 different locks on each hub.....they were very helpful and speedy at McGard locks. They said they should arrive by Saturday which would be awesome.

I am not worried about my wheels at my condo or at the office, but I tend to frequent the club scene often and in downtown Miami (warehouse district) there are a club or two that I go and the area is not the best to say the least to leave a nice set of wheels unprotected.
Old 03-31-05, 01:27 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Good luck man....

With 5 sets of locks on there, someone would have to take the entire car to get your wheels.
Old 03-31-05, 03:35 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsiwicki
thanks all for your help...I just ordered a set and will probably go back and order an additional 4 locking nuts so that I will have 2 different locks on each hub.....they were very helpful and speedy at McGard locks. They said they should arrive by Saturday which would be awesome.

I am not worried about my wheels at my condo or at the office, but I tend to frequent the club scene often and in downtown Miami (warehouse district) there are a club or two that I go and the area is not the best to say the least to leave a nice set of wheels unprotected.
I feel you on this one. Some of the night spots I go to are pretty shady. I wont leave my car anywhere unless there is a valet that I can use. Even then it is kinda questionable
Old 03-31-05, 05:25 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rsiwicki
I know there is not real 100% protection, but what is the best locking lug nut system out there that you all use. I just bought a set of wheels and want to get the best locking nut system possible.

Thanks....
Just keep in mind that the McGard star pattern locks and the Gorilla tuner locks can be spun off by anyone with an impact gun and a socket that you can force fit around them. The best locks seem to be the Gorilla Guard locks with the spinning shell, but I'm sure if they really want to they can get them off too.
Old 03-31-05, 06:47 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Mcgard lugs have the spinning shell. One of the other members told me the lugs have the spinning shell and that was one of the reasons I shelled out the $ for it.
Old 04-01-05, 08:36 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I think the Mcgard lugs have the spinning shell. One of the other members told me the lugs have the spinning shell and that was one of the reasons I shelled out the $ for it.
I have not found any McGard locks with the spinning shell, their website does not show any. If you actually have them in hand, please let me know. I have the Gorilla Guard (not the Guard II) locks and they definitely have the spinning shell. I also have the McGard, which does not spin.
Old 04-01-05, 08:54 AM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

I think the confusion might be with the spinning washer (not shell) that prevents the nut from chewing up the wheel mounting surface around the bolt area. I would have ordered the Gorilla but it was a real pain in the a$$. I contact Gorilla and they said I have to buy through a distributor and 3 out of the 5 distributors said that they don't deal with Gorilla anymore and the other two said that they could order them but it would take 2 weeks not to mention that I would have to drive 45 minutes across town to be there physically to order them. The McGards were a lot easier to order taking less than 5 minutes from my office.

If somebody can provide a contact person for Gorilla then I will call the and order a second set of locks for my wheels, but I am not going through that crap again of having Gorilla themselves give me contact numbers only to find out they don't do business with them anymore.
Old 04-01-05, 08:56 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Got my Gorilla locks from Brandsport.com a week ago.
Old 04-01-05, 12:18 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I have not found any McGard locks with the spinning shell, their website does not show any. If you actually have them in hand, please let me know. I have the Gorilla Guard (not the Guard II) locks and they definitely have the spinning shell. I also have the McGard, which does not spin.
I was going on what another member told me about these locks. I was reading the thread and thought the praise on these lugs and locks were pretty good so I decided to try them out. Either way if someone wants your wheels they will have them, just dont want to make it too easy for them