Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

FWD and RWD rim diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 10:57 PM
Tim
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD and RWD rim diff

Just wanted to know what the diff is between fwd rims versus rwd rims. Was looking at some gs400 pics and ran across a black GS owned by gentlebouncer. Awesome pics by the way (gentlebouncer), really like the 20" Giovanna rims he has on it so did some surfing on the Giovanna Attack rims and they say it's for fwd cars? Are they interchangable then since GS400 is a rwd car?

Last edited by Tim; 10-16-04 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well in terms of the rims themselves, there is no real difference between rims "for" rwd or fwd.

if anything, the difference for rwd is that you can go with staggered setup, where you can have narrower width in the front and wider wheel in the back. this is better for accel and handling. for fwd, this is totally not necessary, since you are doing everything with just the front wheel. so for fwd, you will do the same width front and back.

and of course, on top of that there are all the offset and fitment issues
Old 10-17-04, 01:32 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Most of the wheel online shops say whether the rim is for a FWD or RWD instead of saying whether its for a truck or a car. most of the online shops must think most cars are FWD...

But on a different note, I have a set of Giovanna Attack's off of my GS3 for sale. I just shot you a PM Tim.

Last edited by Blue98Gs3; 10-17-04 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:55 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Tim: notice you havent checked your PM's. I have a set of the wheels you are looking for.
Old 10-22-04, 09:17 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Most companies like Giovanna, only make their 1pc cast wheels in 2 or 3 offsets. For instance, it may be 38 offset (most Japanese cars like Lexus, Infiniti, etc), and then a 25 offset (M/B, BMW, some American cars, etc).

The thing is alot of people dont understand offset when its posted in numbers, so its easier to say FWD and RWD. The FWD is the higher offset thats all.
Old 10-22-04, 09:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Most companies like Giovanna, only make their 1pc cast wheels in 2 or 3 offsets. For instance, it may be 38 offset (most Japanese cars like Lexus, Infiniti, etc), and then a 25 offset (M/B, BMW, some American cars, etc).

The thing is alot of people dont understand offset when its posted in numbers, so its easier to say FWD and RWD. The FWD is the higher offset thats all.
hahah personally i think that only make things worse -- way worse
Old 10-22-04, 10:34 AM
Tim
Pole Position

So do you think the Giovanna 20x8.5 with a 35 mm offset would work fine with a 97 SC400 with tokiko/eibach setup? bluegs3 has a set he's trying to sell.
Old 10-22-04, 12:11 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Great question.....I had the very same question but didn't want to ask. I just thought as long as the bolt pattern, width & offset are correct for your car, the wheel will fit (regardless of whether the manufacture calls them FWD or RWD).

Derrick, so basically you're saying a FWD usually need a higher offset (such as +45, +50, etc.) and RWD cars usually have lower offset (such as +25, +30, etc.) right?

Also, another thing that is confusing as hell is this centric hub ring thing I've been reading about. I have no idea what they are......but some members seem to know what they are and when they're needed......I remember seeing someone trying to sell used wheels in the classifed section and a potential buyer asked if these hub centric rings are included. If someone can explain what these hub centric rings are, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Is there something other than the size, bolt pattern & offset that I should know about before buying wheels (especially used wheels)?
Old 10-25-04, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you take off your wheels, you will notice the center hub bore at the top of the rotor head, there is a different size of that to every wheel. if you get a wheel with the right size, your wheel will be hub centric, meaning if you snap the wheels on, the bore will fit right on and you can start tightening the lug nuts

however if you get a wheel with a larger bore, the wheels won't be centered when you put them on. when you put on the lug nuts you will have to play with the position of the wheel for it to fit. that's called lug centric.

the problem with lug centric is that the wheels sometimes might not get 100% centered, and you will get some vibrations when you drive at certain speed

to correct the problem you put on the corect size of hub centric rings, which will correct the bore to the factory size. there are a lot of different sizes of rings
Old 10-25-04, 05:49 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Cadd

Derrick, so basically you're saying a FWD usually need a higher offset (such as +45, +50, etc.) and RWD cars usually have lower offset (such as +25, +30, etc.) right?
In laymans terms yes, but its not just a open and shut case like that. Your best bet is to simply purchase from a knowledgeable vendor/shop that will take the time to ensure your wheels fit properly.
Old 10-25-04, 03:35 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys....learning more and more each day.
Old 11-07-04, 07:33 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Not to beat a dead horse, but here are two pics. Could you tell me where the center hub bore is located?
Attached Thumbnails FWD and RWD rim diff-122_2224.jpg  
Old 11-07-04, 07:33 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

One more
Attached Thumbnails FWD and RWD rim diff-122_2228.jpg  
Old 11-07-04, 09:59 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bore is on the wheel, and its the hole in the wheel that goes on that rusted round lip. If the hole is bigger, you put a centering ring around this edge to make the wheel fit. Otherwise, the wheel has wiggle room until you slap on the lugs
Attached Thumbnails FWD and RWD rim diff-122_2228.jpg  
Old 11-07-04, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup that's the bore, it's what got "stick" inside the hole at the middle back of the wheel

Quick Reply: FWD and RWD rim diff