Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is a brake upgrade really required with upsized wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 08:34 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade

When changing rim size when do you really need to upgrade you brake system. 18's 19's 20's or all of the above?

DT
Old 10-26-03, 09:01 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

Default Bigger rims = Bigger Brakes?

Do 19" rims = Brake upgrade?

DT
Old 10-26-03, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Brake upgrade

Originally posted by Downtown
When changing rim size when do you really need to upgrade you brake system. 18's 19's 20's or all of the above?

DT
well depends on what do you want. i mean, it will still stop even with 20s, it's just harder coz' of the big rims and weight. for me even with the stock 17 i think big brakes are warranted coz' the stock brakes are just way too soft, so...
Old 10-26-03, 09:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Not required at all. The GS has one of the best stopping distances right out of the factory.

Like Rominl said however, one of the problems with the GS brakes is the mushy pedal feel... couple that with a bit longer stopping distance and you might want some new brakes .
Old 10-26-03, 09:19 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

The reason I ask is that I'm still undecided on the 18" or 19" rims. Thus if I needed to go with an upgrade on the 19's then for $$$$$$$$ reasons I'd hold off and get the 18's. Now you have but haven't helped me!
Appreciate it though.

DT
Old 10-26-03, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

The reason I ask is that I'm still undecided on the 18" or 19" rims. Thus if I needed to go with an upgrade on the 19's then for $$$$$$$$ reasons I'd hold off and get the 18's. Now you have but haven't helped me!
Appreciate it though.

DT
very right, the pedal feel on the GS is defnitely weak, but the stopping isn't bad. what you can do is put ss line there first, it would help the pedal feel a lot.

and for the wheels, if you want, no matter what wheels you get, just make sure it has enough clearance for the brakes. that would give you all the freedom
Old 10-26-03, 10:26 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

Rominl

My money's sitting at the wheel shop and I'm still deciding on what size rim. As it stands I'm all paid up for a set of Racing Hart CR's 18 x 9's and 18 x 10's. I still do have time to change my mind to 19's but I'd purely be doing it for cosmetic reasons only. I'm just worried about ride quality as I've dropped it a bit with Eibach's. Give me your words of wisdom..............please!

DT
Old 10-27-03, 05:34 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

downtown

let me take a moment and respond honestly to your question being that within the last 2 weeks i upgraded from 18in to 19in..

BIGGER brakes are needed.. let me explain why i say this, the car of course still stops but i def see it takes more effort to stop, i see more dusting which is telling me the brakes are working harder, also on saturday i was running the car up to about 100+ , pressed on the brakes to slow down to turnoff , made a u turn for i missed my original turnoff (do to brakes fading) drove home about 1/4 mile away parked of course smelled that burn smell , checked my rotors and what did i see , my rotos around the outer edge and inner edge both fronts and rears were blue from the heat (i believe they call that heat checking)

i never ever had that problem with 18in and i do drive hard with rep hard braking.. i cant imagine doing rep braking right now with the oem set up , its a accident waiting to happen. now weight has very little to do with my problem for my ssr gt3 weigh about 5lbs lighter then my 18in setup , its really the rotational mass at work here.. IMO the gs brakes were designed to work and work well with 16in and 17in setups , maybe 18in being the max with moderate driving , but above that 19in to 20in ,with moderate to aggressive driving , bigger brakes are req to stop this beast

hence , about to upgrade to supra calipers and 13in slotted rotors and ebc pads front and rear, anything more then that IMO is overkill , i mean the stoptech , rotoras, and ap racing set ups work even better and look high pimp status , but for street driving the supra upgrade is inexpensive but very effective for our/my needs

hope this helps and i am being very honest with this
Old 10-27-03, 05:38 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

also downtown , about ride quality , my ride to me and my friends seems to have gotten smoother withe the 19in setup , my handling has gotten razor sharp with the lighter wheels and lower side wall but straightline driving overall is comfortable

check out the new goodyear f1-gs d3 , they were designed to be a very smooth very quiet tire and have proven to me to be just that , they are also rated #1 wet tire with no close contenders according to indepenant test results i have read over the net
Old 10-27-03, 06:06 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I will have to agree with LFL here. I have had 16", 17" & now 19" wheels on my car and I can tell you that because of the increased rotational mass of the 19"s I will be upgrading the brake to the Supra TT style. The pedal feel is just not comforting. I am not saying that its not adequate; just not enough for me.

A word of cautioin here......... I purchased my brakes before getting the wheels and I have found out that the wheels will not clear. So do your homework thoroughly before making any decisions.
Old 10-27-03, 07:27 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up! It's helpful! I want to know if you have any recommendation and exact pricing for the same brake set up on your GS? I have a GS3, stock everything, and will put on WORK LS 19". I need to know if my OEM will hold out long enough before the brakes will break with the new wheels! HAHAHA Thanks man,

chuck

Originally posted by lexforlife
downtown

let me take a moment and respond honestly to your question being that within the last 2 weeks i upgraded from 18in to 19in..

BIGGER brakes are needed.. let me explain why i say this, the car of course still stops but i def see it takes more effort to stop, i see more dusting which is telling me the brakes are working harder, also on saturday i was running the car up to about 100+ , pressed on the brakes to slow down to turnoff , made a u turn for i missed my original turnoff (do to brakes fading) drove home about 1/4 mile away parked of course smelled that burn smell , checked my rotors and what did i see , my rotos around the outer edge and inner edge both fronts and rears were blue from the heat (i believe they call that heat checking)

i never ever had that problem with 18in and i do drive hard with rep hard braking.. i cant imagine doing rep braking right now with the oem set up , its a accident waiting to happen. now weight has very little to do with my problem for my ssr gt3 weigh about 5lbs lighter then my 18in setup , its really the rotational mass at work here.. IMO the gs brakes were designed to work and work well with 16in and 17in setups , maybe 18in being the max with moderate driving , but above that 19in to 20in ,with moderate to aggressive driving , bigger brakes are req to stop this beast

hence , about to upgrade to supra calipers and 13in slotted rotors and ebc pads front and rear, anything more then that IMO is overkill , i mean the stoptech , rotoras, and ap racing set ups work even better and look high pimp status , but for street driving the supra upgrade is inexpensive but very effective for our/my needs

hope this helps and i am being very honest with this
Old 10-27-03, 08:11 AM
Downtown
Pole Position

Thanks LEXFORLIFE for your real life experiance. It really helps one totally see & smell the overall picture.

One of the things keeping me back from the 19" rims was the cost of these brake packages! Were talkin some BIG bucks. With the setup your talkin about what kinda $$$$$$$$$ we talkin?

DT
Old 10-27-03, 08:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks LEXFORLIFE for your real life experiance. It really helps one totally see & smell the overall picture.

One of the things keeping me back from the 19" rims was the cost of these brake packages! Were talkin some BIG bucks. With the setup your talkin about what kinda $$$$$$$$$ we talkin?

DT
Here's one in the classified section
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=99762