Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is brake upgrade needed for 20s?

Old 07-08-07, 12:41 AM
cmc07e
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is brake upgrade needed for 20s?

I am waitng ona set of 20s staggered. Im not a street racer, but is a Brake upgrade need for 20s. Are my rotors and brakes going to be overwhelmed by the 20s and heat up more? They are not light 20s either. What do you guys think?
Old 07-08-07, 01:11 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if anything, you may need better brakes for the increase in unsprung weight from the bigger wheel... I'd start with brake pads, brake lines, and go from there.
Old 07-08-07, 11:39 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not it's not necessary at all.
Old 07-08-07, 11:45 AM
GSlider
Rookie

Probably not neccessary, but reccommended. Your adding all that extra weight ontop of the factory brakes that aren't used to it. I agree with Coco-bun. Start with the basics and go from there.
Old 07-08-07, 12:01 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

one word

yes

the stock system at 18in wheels are already starting to become overwelmed

at 20in it now becomes somewhat of a safety issue for high speed panic braking

i would do at the very least a supra tt upgrade with good rotors and aggressive pad ceramic based for better heat absorbtion

EVEN with my rotora 6/4 setup and can tell a small diff in how they react vs when i has 19in on
Old 07-08-07, 12:09 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has saved me a few times already so I feel like they have paid for themselves
Old 07-08-07, 12:18 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

All I did was change the front rotors. The car has great stopping power from factory and still does with the twenties. I wouldn't go as far as upgrading to a BBK just get some better rotors and pads and you should be fine.
Old 07-08-07, 02:12 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe some better pads and SS lines? I have OEM sized rotors and felt a huge difference, although others on this site said that it wouldnt.
Old 07-08-07, 09:56 PM
Geezy
Driver

i think you should...i had 20 with stock brakes and rotor and they ate up my pads fast..i had to change them like every 6 months..
Old 07-08-07, 10:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not needed
Old 07-08-07, 11:03 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightRidr
All I did was change the front rotors. The car has great stopping power from factory and still does with the twenties. I wouldn't go as far as upgrading to a BBK just get some better rotors and pads and you should be fine.

BBK not necessary at all. i had stock pads and rotors with stainless lines for almost 3 years on my last gs400 with 20's and i never had any problem slowing from 100mph to 0 on a regular basis. im a professional race GS driver, i should know.
Old 07-09-07, 04:26 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i disagree with some of the replies here

yes you can get away with it but think of it this way , the oem system was designed to deliver a certain amount of brake trq given the weight of vechile and diameter of wheels which at best during design process were at 17in . going plus one at 18in is still okay but you already start to reach limits of delivering enough brake trq at that size . plus sizing by 3 to 20in greatly increases the need for added brake trq and rotor surface area to properly dispense heat generated by the larger overall diameter of metel . you can get away with it but you are putting a tremendous amount of strain on the system and i challenge you to do 2 stops at 90 to zero and tell me if you have any brake trq( the clamping force) still left. i have had supra brakes fail on me more then 2 occaisions on me where i have heat checked the rotors so bad that they turned blue and that was when i had 19in on. many down here know my driving style and that my car is fully modded susp wise to handle like a track car so i push it often hence the need for me to up to a true bbk system to prpoperly disperse heat and deliver enought brake trq to stop me from any speed not just once but several times without any brake fade

so again you can get away with it if you are not a aggressive driver but ask yourself this , would you want to risk injury to yourself /others and to your gs by not being able to stop in time coming from high speeds and something happened in front of you ..i wouldnt hence my rotora 6/4 setup , they can stop a bus on the dime and make change

upgrading pads and rotors on oem system will only add to the problem not enhance or improve it when a system is ats it peak capabilities for all you are doing is generating more heat that the rotor surface area cannot disperse quick enough to recover for another request to brake quickly again but its your car
Old 07-09-07, 05:32 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

In my case, I don't drive aggressive on a regular basis, I might push it sometimes but not enough to warrant me upgrading to a BBK.
Old 07-10-07, 05:33 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have put close to 30k on my car with 20s and still riding the same oem brake pads and it stops just fine, even at high speeds, so i would say no BBK needed. However; track is a diffrent story, but is not what cmc07e is asking. And if someone is continously panic braking, they should invest in driving school not BBK.
BTW, my BBk is still waiting for me to install it i will do it when ever my pads wear out
Old 07-10-07, 05:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Nah, I wouldn't say that you need them right off the bat. If you find the right wheel and tire combo, you can get the weight to be about the same as the heaviest stock 17's. If you plan on getting some super heavy chrome or something that's just insane on weight, it might be a good idea later on in the future to do some sort of brake modifications; whether it be a BBK or just better pads, lines, and rotors it might help the system. Unsprung weight is a tricky thing to deal with. If you add too much, you can completely throw off the balance of the car. If you take away too much, same problem.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about them right away. If you drive normally (which a bunch of the modded GS CL members don't), you shouldn't have a need for brakes. If you drive like a maniac and brake at the last moment, then you will need them eventually.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is brake upgrade needed for 20s?