Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RS-R downs F-sport vs. non F-sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 03:19 AM
Kirtap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS-R downs F-sport vs. non F-sport?

Is there really any difference between RS-R downs for the F-sport models and the downs for the non F-sport models? According to RS-R's chart, the springs for the non F-sport model gives significantly less drop than the springs for the F-sport model.
I have a non F-sport. Would there be any problems if I got the downs for the F-sport model? Would they fit?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-19, 07:17 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirtap
Is there really any difference between RS-R downs for the F-sport models and the downs for the non F-sport models? According to RS-R's chart, the springs for the non F-sport model gives significantly less drop than the springs for the F-sport model.
I have a non F-sport. Would there be any problems if I got the downs for the F-sport model? Would they fit?

Thanks!
Not sure on the compatibility, but If I were you, just go with the RSR Downs that are compatible with your non fsport. I had RSR Downs on my base model 3IS and it looked great, with stock wheels I had a tiny wheel gap, compared to the stock 1.5-2" of wheel gap.
Old 02-28-19, 10:45 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Nope, you'd be fine! The regular RSR down springs for your car!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-28-19, 09:18 PM
Kirtap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Nope, you'd be fine! The regular RSR down springs for your car!

-Josh
Thanks Josh! I wonder why they list them separately....

Follow-up question, some of their springs are listed as compatible with years from 2013-09.2016 and some are from 10.2016 and onward. Is there really any difference? I got the impression that there's only cosmetic differences after the facelift?

Edit: The rear spring rate is listed as 8.67kg/mm for the older models and 8.98kg/mm for the newer ones. Do those 0,31kg/mm matter all that much?

Last edited by Kirtap; 03-01-19 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 03:47 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks Josh! I wonder why they list them separately....

Follow-up question, some of their springs are listed as compatible with years from 2013-09.2016 and some are from 10.2016 and onward. Is there really any difference? I got the impression that there's only cosmetic differences after the facelift?

Edit: The rear spring rate is listed as 8.67kg/mm for the older models and 8.98kg/mm for the newer ones. Do those 0,31kg/mm matter all that much?
If it didn't matter, they wouldn't make it. Let RS-R figure out the engineering.
Old 03-03-19, 02:02 AM
Kirtap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
If it didn't matter, they wouldn't make it. Let RS-R figure out the engineering.
Thank you for that in-depth explanation. It really helped me!
Old 03-03-19, 09:55 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Thank you for that in-depth explanation. It really helped me!
It's hard to really compare springs simply by specifications because spring rate and length are only two attributes. There's also the diameter of the coils and the composition of the coils itself as well as other factors. Even within the RS-R models, we might expect that they'd use the same base materials but their spring rates do not directly correspond with their published drop specifications, which is why a number of us are essentially experimenting to find out what works in real life.
Old 03-03-19, 10:35 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Theres probably some added weight or dropped weight somewhere which is why they're different.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-04-19, 01:02 AM
Kirtap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
It's hard to really compare springs simply by specifications because spring rate and length are only two attributes. There's also the diameter of the coils and the composition of the coils itself as well as other factors. Even within the RS-R models, we might expect that they'd use the same base materials but their spring rates do not directly correspond with their published drop specifications, which is why a number of us are essentially experimenting to find out what works in real life.
Thank you! This is the kind of reply I wanted. I've been in contact with RS-R USA and they in their turn directed me to their european vendors. I hope to hear from them soon regarding wether or not the springs for the F-sport 300h will work on my non F-sport.
Regardless what they say I feel like I might do just that, experiment and see what works in real life.

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Theres probably some added weight or dropped weight somewhere which is why they're different.

-Josh
Yes, I understand that, I do however wonder how much of a difference it makes. If it just makes the ride a bit softer/harder or if they simply just don't work on the "wrong" car.

Old 03-04-19, 05:26 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Thank you! This is the kind of reply I wanted. I've been in contact with RS-R USA and they in their turn directed me to their european vendors. I hope to hear from them soon regarding wether or not the springs for the F-sport 300h will work on my non F-sport.
Regardless what they say I feel like I might do just that, experiment and see what works in real life.
Some of the research we've done is on parts sites like https://www.mylparts.com/. There, you can compare suspension parts of different models to see the part numbers and determine if they're the same. In some cases, the springs were different between AWD and RWD, and in other cases there were differences between F-Sport and non. The main thing would be whether they physically fit, which from 2014-2017 at least they all seem to across the board.
Old 03-04-19, 08:06 PM
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with RSR Down - perfect drop if you want to get rid of most of the wheel gap and rides like oem.
Old 03-04-19, 08:10 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrmle03
Can't go wrong with RSR Down - perfect drop if you want to get rid of most of the wheel gap and rides like oem.
For RWD...
Old 03-04-19, 11:47 PM
Kirtap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Some of the research we've done is on parts sites like https://www.mylparts.com/. There, you can compare suspension parts of different models to see the part numbers and determine if they're the same. In some cases, the springs were different between AWD and RWD, and in other cases there were differences between F-Sport and non. The main thing would be whether they physically fit, which from 2014-2017 at least they all seem to across the board.
Thanks man! I'll make sure to check that out!
Old 04-07-19, 10:57 PM
Kirtap
Driver School Candidate

So after a few weeks of research, I finally got this statement from RS-R Japan:

T195D and T195TD is for IS300h AVE30 (F sport) but R&D said it would fit on non F sport model.But we haven't tried this yet so drop height might differ from the data we provide on our Item research +5mm or -5mm front and rear.