RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

2019 RC300 (F-Sport) vs RC350 (F-Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 03:46 PM
steezkeez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 RC300 (F-Sport) vs RC350 (F-Sport)

Hey guys,

New to the forum and currently I'm looking at picking up either the 2019 RC300 F-Sport or RC350 F-Sport. From what I can gather, the only main difference between these two is the ~70 HP, is that correct? If so, does it make a big enough difference to justify the ~$3000 difference in price? Are there any other differences between these two models that I'm not aware of or might be missing?

Also, I heard the F-Sport sits slightly lower than non F-Sport trims - is that true? I'm mainly referring to the wheel gap between the tire and wheel well. I had considered getting springs/coilovers to lower from stock, but if the F-Sport already drops the gap a bit then I'm debating whether it's worth it to get after-market springs/coilovers and sacrifice ride comfort for a slightly smaller gap.

I currently drive a '17 Accord, so my main goal for upgrading to the RC is because:
  1. Aesthetics - I really want a luxury coupe, and the RC is by far the best looking out of the choices I'm considering (imo). Also why I'm considering lowering it.
  2. Fun - I want a fun car to drive (relative to an Accord lol), though I'll be using it as my daily driver so I would prioritize ride comfort over lowering the car if the sacrifice is too great.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-19, 05:21 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

OP - Welcome to the board and I have a 2019 RC350 F Sport on order. I have had 2 IS350 prior to this my current one being a 2017 version. I can't really speak on whether there is truth to the speculation that the F sport is a bit lower than non F Sport....My instinct says no, but that is just a speculation on my part.

What I can say is that if you can afford the 3000$ extra, I would go for it without hesitation. The RC is a heavy car so having more HP will be a benefit and in the end, you will regret not spending the extra 3k when you look back. Think about it, 3K over 60 month is about 50$ (plus interest if you don't get 0% financing) so that is peanuts in a whole scheme. Think of resale value, the enjoyment factor you will get and I could be wrong but I think the RC300 doesn't have the Sport Plus with adaptive suspension...now I need to check the specs.

But just on grunt and resale value...I say go for it
Old 02-25-19, 05:30 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

** follow up ** It says both the RC300 and RC350 have drive mode select (sport, normal and Eco) while the 350 have drive mode select with Custom mode --- whatever that means. They don't mention Sport + explicitly
Old 02-26-19, 07:30 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

I do not think that the F-Sports sit any lower then the non F-Sports, unless you pay for the upgraded lower springs. Still there is a wheel gap with the front noticeably more than the rears. Aftermarket lower springs can fix that and aside from the cost (~$300-400) you get to keep the adaptive suspension. IMHO coilovers are the way to go if you want to fix the wheel gap and something like BC coils will run you $900-1300 but you will lose the adaptive suspension feature. I agree that in the grand scheme of things the 350 will run you ~$50 more per month but you will enjoy it more than the 300 and it will have much better resale value.
Old 02-27-19, 01:36 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Thanks for supporting my comments I am a bit worried to see the front wheel gap as it is hard to see from the pics/angles I have seen so far but I guess I'll see when mine gets delivered...

I am still not sure why Lexus wouldn't fix such an eye sore if that is indeed the case, I mean a coupe should have an aggressive stance, not like an AMC Eagle from the 1980s
Old 02-27-19, 06:04 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't think it is the type of thing the average driver notices so they have no desire to change/fix it.
Old 02-28-19, 01:14 PM
SaddleFTW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason why the F-Sports appear to sit lower is because of the larger wheels.

I'm leasing a 200t f-sport and don't regret it, but if I had the choice, I would have gone with the 350. At the time, inventory was really low and the only white/ red combo was a 200t.

My car comes with Eco, Sport, and Sport + modes.
Old 03-01-19, 06:02 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
** follow up ** It says both the RC300 and RC350 have drive mode select (sport, normal and Eco) while the 350 have drive mode select with Custom mode --- whatever that means. They don't mention Sport + explicitly
If the RC350 Fsport is the same as the GS350 Fsport the Custom Mode allows you to set the Power Train, Chassis & Climate independently, so you can have the power Train in Eco but the chassis in Sport setting.

The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (03-02-19)
Old 03-01-19, 07:11 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In Switzerland It's not very dependent of the engine type but more of the equipment type. The F-Sport models have Sport +, the regulars don't. I tend to say that the Sport+ is the only suspension setup I can clearly make apart from the others, he's lightly stiffer and functions well on our twisty special roads that all look like a Touge driver's wet dream.

The 300h comes with a CVT that is absolutely great for cruising around without hearing the engine and it's ready for meeting every strict carbon regulation in the upcoming future, the RCF (The only variant we have because we don't have the 350) doesn't, but has a very sympathic automatic transmission. So, if aesthetics and fun are priorities, I would go for the 350.
Old 03-01-19, 10:01 AM
steezkeez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the responses! Looks like the consensus is the 350 is worth the price difference over the 300 in terms of "fun", so I'll probably test drive both and make my decision after that
wthrman2 (03-02-19)
Old 03-02-19, 05:30 PM
grandspt
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2016 RC300 awd F-Sport and while I love my car it is extremely heavy and could use 400 hp to be super fun. As it is the 255 hp works for an every day vehicle just don't expect it to be fast (I would call it slightly sporty).
I didn't get the RC350 awd F-Sport at that time in 2016 because it was quite a bit more money (I believe it was around $5,000 +) for just 50 hp more.
Whichever one you choose they are both great. The only problem I have had were the OEM Bridgestone tires were cracking on the edges very badly. I replaced them at 21,000 miles but the tread itself could have gone to 36,000 miles.
Old 01-25-20, 01:40 PM
NewRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently bought a 2019 RC300 F Sport RWD. Like the OP, I was also interested in the RC 350 but faced a $5000+ difference. I really like this car though. It is fully loaded except for having the ML stereo and that V6 sound as well as power. However, I’m coming from an i4 XSE Camry, so the extra horse power in here (Camry was 186, RC300 is 241) is nice.

Pros: 3 config memory seats (complete with steering wheel and side view mirror adjustments), reverse tilt side view mirrors (can also config for memory seat while reversing), 2USB ports, Apple CarPlay, surround sound on the premium audio (after adjustments), Drive modes (eco, normal, custom, sport and sport plus), Navigation with voice commands that work, also integrates Siri and google voice and Alexa, the handling in sport plus (stiffened wheel and extra toss able).

cons: I miss having Qi-wireless charging and a sunglasses holder. My biggest issue is turbo lag! Sometimes, when I want to overtake in D, the engine thinks about the request. This can be frightening if you cut out for a quick pass (while following proper driving manners obviously &#128514. There’s a bypass to this problem - when I want to overtake, I switch to manual mode with the stick, downshift and pass them up shift or move back to D. If I use the paddle, the response is still slow.

Overall, I really like this car. I looked at the IS350 AWD (liked it, but no apple CarPlay and the mouse and cup layout is ridiculous. Also, the one I looked at had no memory seats and some other goodies mine has. I also looked at the BMW 330i, Audi A4, Audi A5 coupe and Benz CLA (I couldn’t afford the C class). I thought the RC 300 had the best balance of driving feel and options I was looking for with a price I could handle. That is, it didn’t excel over the others in anyone department, but it was mostly second place. While where the others were first place in one department, they didn’t perform very well in others.

The Lexus beat them all in looks (subjective). Audi felt like the best drive and virtual cockpit was my favourite instrument cluster. But I hate the Audi centre screen. It looks like someone stuck an iPad there. BMW charges you for Apple CarPlay after one year plus it also had that iPad screen. The Benz was too expensive for me but had a gorgeous interior and bells and whistles. The RC 300 had a 10inch screen, the LFA gauge (old to some people but new to me), and cool deals that help you buyout the car along with better % rates.

I hope this helps someone. This forum has been very helpful overall for this lurker. 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by NewRC:
signdetres (01-25-20), wthrman2 (01-25-20)
Old 01-25-20, 02:33 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ That is a great review and input - Congrats on your RC350
NewRC (01-27-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:16 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
I don't think it is the type of thing the average driver notices so they have no desire to change/fix it.
Agree. I have the supposedly hideous AWD model. I have intentionally looked at the gap to try to become as offended as everyone else. I just don't get the excitement. Looks fine to me.
I DO however like the curb clearance and snow clearance.
If the front was lowered, I may have to pay to have it raised.

I guess my point is Lexus is probably balancing a few priorities for a variety of customers. I don't think this is a blatantly obvious issue that they are ignoring. It's a balance.
I respect that some people see it and don't like it. It's not super hard to fix if your into that sort of thing.
Old 01-28-20, 10:30 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

scooky - I am envious to be honest. I am aware that I have a bit an OCD personality and when I latch onto something, its hard to let go or not see it. I know what you are saying about the advantage of the AWD and here in Canada, we don't get to select if we want RWD or AWD so that is why I have the version I do. Many people here have seen me say numerous time, I love the RC. I think it is a very sexy/sleek design and love the 3.5L V6 and tranny combo....See, some will gripe about the lack of performance or technology and to me, I am fine with what the RC offers. I am more obsessed with the esthetic of the vehicle because that is what drives my mojo. The car is 99% well executed from a design point of view (in my eyes) but that 1% is annoying to me....The issue is common to many people and I know that several car reviewers often will point the negative rake. When I do the measurement of the top of the tire to the rear fender versus the same on the front, there is 1 inch of difference and visually, I can't "unsee it"

I agree that the fix is relatively easy if you live in the States, in Canada, the OEM parts are not available but thanks to the help of great people here, I have a plan moving forward now.

Again, I respect your view and preference to have the stock set up on the AWD and wish I could not see the big deal. I have a friend of mine who keeps looking at my RC and has no clue what I am talking about so maybe its just me (lol)

In any event, I appreciate your respectful post and opinion What model year do you have? Color combo?
scooky (01-28-20)

Quick Reply: 2019 RC300 (F-Sport) vs RC350 (F-Sport)