Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Uneven ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 07:16 PM
jbv808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven ride height

I recently installed an Tanabe axle back exhaust on my IS250 and I noticed rubbing on my rear driver side passenger fender. It never used to rub before installing the new exhaust so I'm thinking does the new exhaust really make that much of a difference in weight? I've tried readjusting the coils, resetting spring preload, and raised them up a bit from when I first got the car but still rubs but not as bad after raising it up. I've read that the IS250's sit uneven like that from stock somewhere but just trying to see any other possible causes. Was thinking maybe it needs an alignment and camber adjustment or maybe possibly a dead shock? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-15-19, 08:35 PM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I find it hard to believe that an axle back would cause rubbing. The stock axle back is heavier than the Tanabe, so there's no reason it should cause rubbing if you're losing weight. Something has to be coming in contact underneath the car.

If you can, post a pic of your car so I can see how low you are. Because I was maxed out on BC coils on 9.5 wide wheels and never rubbed in the rear, even with beefier tires.
Old 02-16-19, 07:32 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

The Tanabe will hang a little lower on one side, it's a common droop problem with our cars. Are you talking about tire rub or that the exhaust is now hitting something.
Old 02-16-19, 12:22 PM
jbv808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtlyzd
I find it hard to believe that an axle back would cause rubbing. The stock axle back is heavier than the Tanabe, so there's no reason it should cause rubbing if you're losing weight. Something has to be coming in contact underneath the car.

If you can, post a pic of your car so I can see how low you are. Because I was maxed out on BC coils on 9.5 wide wheels and never rubbed in the rear, even with beefier tires.
Interesting. I'll get a pic of the fender wheels when I can. Gotta find me a leveled surface, not even my driveway is leveled lol I'm also running 9.5 wheels in the rear and they're slightly tucked. Not as tucked as it was before I raised them a bit.

Originally Posted by Aspect
The Tanabe will hang a little lower on one side, it's a common droop problem with our cars. Are you talking about tire rub or that the exhaust is now hitting something.
I'm talking about tire rubbing.