Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just installed Invidia Q300 a bit louder than i expected. Should of went with Tanabe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 07:06 PM
hihelloray
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Invidia Q300 a bit louder than i expected. Should of went with Tanabe?

Hey, everyone, I'm new here and this is my first thread. I just installed an Invidia q300 in my 2014 is250 and reason why I got it I read that it was a quiet exhaust just a little louder than stock but i notice it is actually pretty loud especially at 2500rpm. Should I have gone with a Tanabe Medallion exhaust if I'm looking for an exhaust that is a bit quieter? I want a nice settle growl when accelerating since stock is too quiet even at high RPMs
Old 08-10-17, 07:51 PM
3ISOwner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get the full catback system? If you only got the axleback, the Q300 is pretty quiet.
Old 08-10-17, 07:56 PM
hihelloray
9th Gear

just the axle back and yeah I was surprised myself assuming it would be quiet and I had experience with many different type/brand exhaust in the past.
Old 08-11-17, 05:38 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Are you sure it's the Q300 and not the Q300H?

Tanabe and F Sport are also quiet axle backs
Old 08-11-17, 12:32 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hihelloray
just the axle back and yeah I was surprised myself assuming it would be quiet and I had experience with many different type/brand exhaust in the past.
Maybe an exhaust leak at the connection with Midpipe that is causing it to be loud?
Old 08-11-17, 04:18 PM
hihelloray
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
Are you sure it's the Q300 and not the Q300H?

Tanabe and F Sport are also quiet axle backs
You're right. I placed my order for a Q300 and did research on the invdia site the part number i ordered matched up but the seller on ebay sent me the q300h and told me thats the only one that invdia makes for this vehicle.
Old 08-11-17, 04:39 PM
hihelloray
9th Gear

i just contacted Invidia and they informed me that part number for the q300 HS13L1SG3S is the only option q300 exhaust for my vehicle unless i wanted burnt tips. Basically all q300 exhaust for 3rd gen lexus is250/350 is a q300h
Old 08-11-17, 05:42 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

hmm, good to know info, is this drone or just loud you are talking about around 2500rpm.
Old 08-11-17, 05:54 PM
hihelloray
9th Gear

i guess you can say loud drone at 2500 rpm. Even at low rpm there is a slight drone which is normal even tho some people claim the q300 does not drone while cruising. i can verify that it does drone while crusing haha
Old 08-11-17, 10:25 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound is so subjective pending the person. So is it loud only on acceleration or cruising at that rpm? I have the same q300 axleback and it will growl when you go full wide open throttle but that's it. The few threads I found about drone seem to happen under load and at a certain rpm. Does it drone in all modes i.e. Sport, Sport+ or Eco mode? I'm starting to think the drone is more apparent on the 250's rather than the 350's.
Old 08-12-17, 08:55 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Post a video. I surprise that you say axle back exhaust is loud. I have JoeZ axle back, Invidia midpipe and Fsport intake. There's drone at 2500-2700 rpm when I had only JoeZ axle back, and drone at 2100-2300 rpm when midpipe added.

It's not really loud when you get used to it. Here's my cold start clip (trimmed):
Old 09-13-18, 10:50 PM
Rav5280
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for posting that clip. My invidia axle back arrives tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to putting it on. I decided to start with the Axle back to see how it sounds. Last week I installed the aFe Takeda intake and that alone sounds awesome, but really only at higher rpm, but guessing I don't need to state that. Anyway I know this is an old post but If anyone has the takeda and an axle back I'd love to know your opinion on if it's worth going in for the midpipe. I've got a '15 is250 awd, not f-sport. Midpipe I'm considering is either Apexi or invidia. I'm not trying to make my car annoyingly loud, just louder haha.
Also does just the axle back do anything for performance? .

Old 09-17-18, 11:49 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Rav5280
Thank you for posting that clip. My invidia axle back arrives tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to putting it on. I decided to start with the Axle back to see how it sounds. Last week I installed the aFe Takeda intake and that alone sounds awesome, but really only at higher rpm, but guessing I don't need to state that. Anyway I know this is an old post but If anyone has the takeda and an axle back I'd love to know your opinion on if it's worth going in for the midpipe. I've got a '15 is250 awd, not f-sport. Midpipe I'm considering is either Apexi or invidia. I'm not trying to make my car annoyingly loud, just louder haha.
Also does just the axle back do anything for performance? .

Ive had my Invidia q300 axelback on for a while now, and i love it, but Its not loud enough for me. I turn some heads when i keep my revs low, but i want to straight up scare some people LOL. The axelback adds such a minuscule amount of power it is unnoticeable. However the increased airflow does add a small amount of power.
Old 09-17-18, 06:23 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hihelloray
Hey, everyone, I'm new here and this is my first thread. I just installed an Invidia q300 in my 2014 is250 and reason why I got it I read that it was a quiet exhaust just a little louder than stock but i notice it is actually pretty loud especially at 2500rpm. Should I have gone with a Tanabe Medallion exhaust if I'm looking for an exhaust that is a bit quieter? I want a nice settle growl when accelerating since stock is too quiet even at high RPMs
There are a lot of sound clips on YouTube for the IS model exhausts. The Invidia exhaust definitely sounds much louder than Tanabe.
Old 09-19-18, 02:54 PM
Rav5280
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Ive had my Invidia q300 axelback on for a while now, and i love it, but Its not loud enough for me. I turn some heads when i keep my revs low, but i want to straight up scare some people LOL. The axelback adds such a minuscule amount of power it is unnoticeable. However the increased airflow does add a small amount of power.
Ya I installed my Invidia axle back the day it arrived. never done anything exhaust related before so it took me about 1.5 hours due to doing it at night and trying to get the rubber off the hangers. definitely a good experience for future though. it'll be a week on Friday and I believe I read that it takes about that long to break in. Does it become louder after the break-in period? Overall this axle back matched with the Tanabe intake sounds great IMO. and it definitely seems like its added some power, at least off the start, but could just be the placebo effect of the sound haha. Ive seen videos of revving with the full cat-back exhaust but I'd like to see what it sounds like from inside the cabin while driving normally. any thoughts on mid pipe?

Quick Reply: Just installed Invidia Q300 a bit louder than i expected. Should of went with Tanabe?