Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 05:37 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs

This weekend I finally was able to upgrade the suspension in my 2003 GS300 with 115k miles.
It still had its OEM Lexus Shocks.
I have had the rear Bilstein shocks since September, but the front had been on back-order for months and finally arrived in early November.
The Vogtland Progressive Springs are from 6 up to 9kg/mm in the Front, and from 4 up to 5kg/mm in the Rear.

Ready to Install

Front

Rear

So, far in the few miles I have driven it is a vast improvement.
The OEM Front Shocks were literally SHOT. The piston shaft move in an out with no resistance.
The OEM Rear Shocks were a little better, but had very little damping ability left in them.
Old 11-19-18, 04:01 PM
Will_GS400
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Rest of the suspension and brakes looks mint. Any upgrades or just oem replacements?
Old 11-19-18, 08:00 PM
landarch20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice upgrade. I did this upgrade 4 weeks ago but with the Bilstein B8 Sport shocks in lieu of the B6 HD. I'm very happy with the Vogtland and Bilstein combo. The car feels fantastic.
Old 11-20-18, 06:35 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Cool Brake and Rotors

Originally Posted by Will_GS400
Rest of the suspension and brakes looks mint. Any upgrades or just oem replacements?
Upgraded to EBC Green Pads with EBC Rotors on the Front and Back.
I also rebuilt the calipers myself.
I will NEVER pay for a rebuild caliper again.
It really is very easy assuming you have compressed air, otherwise it would be impossible to get the caliper pistons to pop out.
I then thoroughly cleaned, primed and painted the calipers with high temp engine paint.
Then finished them off with high temp clear coat.
I like the color, it is classy without screaming "look at me".

Here are some before and after photos.
Old 11-20-18, 06:55 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Cool

Originally Posted by landarch20
Nice upgrade. I did this upgrade 4 weeks ago but with the Bilstein B8 Sport shocks in lieu of the B6 HD. I'm very happy with the Vogtland and Bilstein combo. The car feels fantastic.
I was on the fence with the Bilstien B6 or B8 shocks.
The B8 bodies are an inch shorter than the B6's.

I called Vogtland and their engineer said the Vogtland Lexus GS300 Sport Lowering Spring should work with either shock body length, so I went with the OEM length B6's.

Old 11-20-18, 08:29 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind posting pictures of ride height, and equally as important - what's the sense of the ride? I have the same shocks (ordered over a year go - got them last week) and am trying to figure out what, if any springs to change to. I like the L-Tuned look but they've been out of production for some time. Eibach as well. At this time I was considering the Tein Htech for it's minimal (1" drop and smooth ride). This spring you have installed I'm not familiar with. I wouldn't mind a touch more spring rate than stock, but don't want to be even close to a harsh ride and would like to close the gap a little (1"-1.5").

Last edited by KyleH; 11-20-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 09:00 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KyleH
Thanks for sharing.
Here are some quick pictures I just took.
Ride height is about 0.75" lower than OEM, and I suspect it will drop another 0.25" over time as it settles in.

Ride is very smooth and competent with great turn in.
I have hit the bump stops going over speed bumps, but that is to be expected.
Maybe Landarch20 can give more info since he has had this basic setup for about a month.

NOTE: AJUSA does not have these springs on their website, but they sold them to me for $210 Shipped.

Last edited by flash9; 11-20-18 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 05:47 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I'm curious as to what the factory spring rates (I understand variable) are. Do you feel like these spring rates are slightly firmer than factory? I'm looking for a slightly firmer ride but not anything harsh.

You mention bottoming out on a speed bump. I frankly wouldn't expect that, given a relatively normal speed bump and an unloaded (or kid-load) rear seat area. Can you give me some details about this? I've bottomed out my front stock suspension on a downhill braking area that has a very subtle dip where in the wife's newer car it never occurs. I've always expected this occurs in the Lexus due in no small part to the fact that the factory struts have 227k miles on them. But post Bilstein install, I expect / hope this to be a thing of the past, even with stock coils

Looks like some nice NA Miatas in the background with some suspension work done as well.

Originally Posted by flash9
Here are some quick pictures I just took.
Ride height is about 0.75" lower than OEM, and I suspect it will drop another 0.25" over time as it settles in.

Ride is very smooth and competent with great turn in.
I have hit the bump stops going over speed bumps, but that is to be expected.
Maybe Landarch20 can give more info since he has had this basic setup for about a month.

NOTE: AJUSA does not have these springs on their website, but they sold them to me for $210 Shipped.

Old 11-21-18, 05:53 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

You shouldn't be bottoming out if you're driving over things at a reasonable speed. I have B8s and H&R sport springs and I've only bottomed out over a really big dip I took way to fast (at about 50 and I should have been going 25). I can go over speed bumps at 40 and its still comfortable and doesn't bottom out but the ride is definitely firmer than stock. Similar to a new BMW 340 or 440 with the M package
Old 11-21-18, 07:28 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Cool

Thanks for the input. I'm curious as to what the factory spring rates (I understand variable) are. Do you feel like these spring rates are slightly firmer than factory? I'm looking for a slightly firmer ride but not anything harsh.
I have had NO luck in anyone knowing Lexus's OEM Spring Rates for our GS300's or GS400's. I am tempted to take my springs which I intend to keep and have them tested. My OEM shocks were completely SHOT, the pistons just collapsed with no resistance, and took no force to pull the piston back out, so I was basically driving on the Springs. This Bilstein/Voktland setup has definitely tightened up the handling, but is in NO way harsh.

You mention bottoming out on a speed bump. I frankly wouldn't expect that, given a relatively normal speed bump and an unloaded (or kid-load) rear seat area. Can you give me some details about this?.
One of the places I "test out" my suspensions is a local speed bump that allows me to hit it at about 35 mph, and yes I am pretty sure I am hitting the bump stops. This is in a parking lot so it is a rather short and high speed bump. I do this at a time when no one is in the parking lot so it is safe. Hitting the bump stops with this speed bump is the case with all of my cars. It was not anything jarring, but it did feel to me that I had reached full spring compression, and the shock had started to hit the bump stop. The OEM bump stops from my car looked fine, but after the replacements showed up, I was glad I had chosen to spend the $50 and replace all four. The old ones were hard and had no real compression. While the new ones were firm, but much more pliable. The OEM rubber had just hardened after 15 year.

Looks like some nice NA Miatas in the background with some suspension work done as well.
Yes they both have custom Bilstein/Hyperco ride height adjustable coilover suspension upgrades and greatly improved the handling of these cars. The one on the left is a 1991 SE with 56k and the one on the right is a 1992 SBY (yellow) with 87k. I have installed steering wheels and airbags from NB Miata's since these steering wheels have bigger grip and a much smaller airbag, but otherwise they are original.

I have sent you a PM with my contact info if you have any questions.

Last edited by flash9; 11-21-18 at 07:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KyleH (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 11:46 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Thanks so much for all the valuable info, Flash. Parts are all on order, including the Springs. Your thorough cataloging of parts and fresh experience in this space was super helpful. I had a chance to get after the lower suspension parts (ball joins, control arms) when I first picked up the car a few years back, so they're fairly fresh still. When I get a chance to compile, assemble, and install I'll post an update on my build thread. Then on to brakes and wheels / tires and this old gal will be looking and feeling a lot more fresh than she sits today.
Old 11-23-18, 07:31 PM
flash9
Pit Crew

Thumbs up Bilstein & Vogtland Suspension Parts List

If anyone is interested here are the parts and suppliers that I used for this setup, plus some other parts that I replaced around the same time as the rest of the suspension.

My total cost was about $1,150, and that included the front upper control arms, front lower rear control arms, the front lower ball joints, and outer tie rods.
Attached Files

Last edited by flash9; 11-24-18 at 05:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Scorchez (02-16-24)
Old 12-13-18, 08:18 PM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post, Flash9. I also got some B6s that I will be combining with some Eibach springs. I chose the B6 given how modest the lowering is, and so I can go back to stock springs if I desire.

One thing I noticed - you kept the spring perch in the upper position. Any reason in particular? Bilstein ships it this way, but my understanding is that this will lift the car if used with stock springs. I intend to put mine in the lower positions.
Old 12-14-18, 05:09 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RVAGS400
Great post, Flash9. I also got some B6s that I will be combining with some Eibach springs. I chose the B6 given how modest the lowering is, and so I can go back to stock springs if I desire.

One thing I noticed - you kept the spring perch in the upper position. Any reason in particular? Bilstein ships it this way, but my understanding is that this will lift the car if used with stock springs. I intend to put mine in the lower positions.
I just started by leaving the snap ring in upper perch as they were supplied by Bilstein. I am happy with my ride height but when KyleH installed this same setup, he had to relocate the rear spring perch, and based on the pictures he posted, I would agree with his assessment that the back of his car sat too high.
Old 12-14-18, 07:21 AM
KyleH
Advanced

3 Years ago: (Stock)
Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs-prxw8nrl.jpg

After installation of Vogtland & B6 (upper perch all around)
Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs-w43o3jnl.jpg

After lowering rear springs to lower B6 perch
Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs-yvqft4dl.jpg

After a couple weeks of mostly sitting - maybe 35 miles driven - the rear is sitting 1/2" higher than the front in terms of bottom edge of fender relative to the wheel. As I recall, the difference between the upper and lower perches was somewhere between .5" and .75"

Given you have different springs, your results may vary. But I too have read of people going on lower perch front and rear. I don't think I'd want to go any lower on the front given I like the look of where it is and I wouldn't want additional offset in height front-to-rear. So I'm happy with top perch of front, lower perch in rear for these particular springs.

I will say I need to adjust the headlamps, as they're not throwing light out far enough in front of me any longer. This has more to do with the fact the front is so much lower than before relative to the rear.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs