Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RSR Down Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 09:45 PM
AmaZNGR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Your car is rad. Are you killing front tires, rear tires, or all of the above? What tires and tread wear rating? Mine is rough on the inside edges of front tires, but I turned them at 8000 miles and will probably get another 4K out of them. My '14 IS250 used to murder rear tires, but even then, I would get 7-8K miles out of them. I have the SPC camber kit in the rear of my 2016 and the rear tire wear is significantly better.

Not pimping, but posting for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ca...350+camber+kit

They used to sell these individually on Amazon and it was sort of laughable. My friend Angle Face didn't realize that until he ordered and only one arm showed up. This seller is selling them in pairs, which makes more sense.

thanks. Iam chewing through fronts only. They are
continental extreme contact DWS 06. 550 wear rating
Old 08-25-18, 11:40 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AmaZNGR

i am a bit surprised by that, but then my fronts are looking a bit haggard now too. I just flipped them and the inner edges are beat. They have about 10K on them.
Old 01-12-19, 06:50 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AmaZNGR
Great tires, friend and I have gone through two sets each on previous cars.

Did you ever get the wear issue resolved? I also have an AWD and am in the spring-scouting stage, including the option of what you did although perhaps going Downs-front and Halfs-rear.
Old 01-12-19, 09:31 PM
AmaZNGR
Driver School Candidate

I have not. It’s gotten worse. Insurance won’t write it off and Lexus won’t repair it. They seem to be at a stand still.

The wear issue seems seems to be coming from a transfer case issue which seems to be from an issue when they put the car back together after the accident. I have not seen the car in 4 months. It’s been in the shop. Yet the bank still wants their payments.

Seeking suggestions on how to get an insurance company to care to find a resolution.

I feel confident that the lowering ring springs are not the issue as many others here have the same set up and no issues.
Old 01-12-19, 09:40 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Oh wow, so sorry to hear. Wasn't the wear from before the accident though? Was it a serious one, with significant damage? Hope it comes to an equitable resolution for you.

Suppose the one positive is that it at least redeems the issue of the springs. Do you know of others who have "imbalanced" springs? I think SoCal has a car with only one pair of springs on it, and another here has Supers on the front and Downs on the back.
Old 01-13-19, 10:57 AM
AmaZNGR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Oh wow, so sorry to hear. Wasn't the wear from before the accident though? Was it a serious one, with significant damage? Hope it comes to an equitable resolution for you.

Suppose the one positive is that it at least redeems the issue of the springs. Do you know of others who have "imbalanced" springs? I think SoCal has a car with only one pair of springs on it, and another here has Supers on the front and Downs on the back.
I clipped a curb on an unmarked road through a construction zone with driver side wheels and looked like two flat tires and two bent rims. I though... new wheels and tires and Im on my way... then it was something else and something else and something else. Soon I was $5000 in and making an insurance claim. Car still wasn't riding right. The body shop got it and found the susp housing was bubbled and they had to cut the front of the car off and weld on a new one... Its never worked since. Looks great, seems great... kills tires. When I got it back the rev rake from factory was larger than normal so I dropped the front to level the car and it didn't help.
Old 01-13-19, 11:06 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

So they essentially replaced the whole front end? Before I bought mine, I was looking at a 2016 IS300 AWD that had a $9K estimate for an accident, but ended up with a $32K claim. All it said on CarFax was "left front driver side" and the dealer couldn't give me any details, so perhaps it was something similar to what happened to yours. Crazy that there would be that much difference between estimate and actual, so they must have found more once they opened it up.
Old 08-27-19, 05:42 PM
Mcintire
Driver School Candidate

Default Super down springs post installation

Quick question. After installing the super downs, will you need an alignment?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-27-19, 05:53 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Should get an alignment after any suspension changes, especially major components.
The following users liked this post:
Mcintire (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 06:12 PM
Mcintire
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=AtomicAWD;10598543]Should get an alignment after any suspension changes, especially major components

Okay, that’s what I figured. I did hear on a video, the 3is lowered corrects the camber slightly. They’re claiming it’s a better angle than factory. I’m not sure how correct that actually is 😂 Thank you!
Old 10-21-19, 10:49 AM
Theyiqin
Driver School Candidate

Have been using rsr down for a month . I feel the car bounce alot . Anyone encounter such problem ?
Old 10-21-19, 11:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Theyiqin
Have been using rsr down for a month . I feel the car bounce alot . Anyone encounter such problem ?
Not really...but that could be really subjective to road conditions.
If you have fairly good roads that are smooth, there shouldn't be much bouncing at all.
I've had Downs for over a year and on good roads they're good, and on crap roads, well, they're crap. But I wouldn't call them bouncy.
Also, when you hit a bump the shocks really control the oscillation of the vehicle when it hits a bump, so if anything the springs don't control the bounce, just the ride height.
Old 10-21-19, 12:02 PM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is quite possible. Feeling "bounce" can be subjective. One person may perceive minimal ride change while another may feel the ride has gone to ****, just different perspective from the exact same ride. In general, you will definitely feel some bounce, its subjective as to whether it is a "lot" or "little". I have a moderate drop using RSR springs and I definitely feel extra bounce at times. My shocks are perfectly fine, I just tolerate it less than others. That said, I don't mind it. If you were to go to Super Downs, you would feel even more. Bottom line, your shocks have less travel to handle road imperfections when dropped, the bigger the drop on stock shocks, the more susceptible it is to this.

Another factor might be your shocks. Do they have high mileage on them? I have definitely noticed that the shelf life of my shocks/struts when lowered is much shorter than riding stock height. If you added RSR's with a lot of mileage already on your suspension, you'll likely feel it more. Have you checked to see if any of your shocks are leaking?

Finally, how are the roads you drive on? The roads near me are mostly new/smooth. But if you drive on rough roads, it will just exaggerate what you already are driving on.
Old 10-21-19, 12:17 PM
Theyiqin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cliffhokie
It is quite possible. Feeling "bounce" can be subjective. One person may perceive minimal ride change while another may feel the ride has gone to ****, just different perspective from the exact same ride. In general, you will definitely feel some bounce, its subjective as to whether it is a "lot" or "little". I have a moderate drop using RSR springs and I definitely feel extra bounce at times. My shocks are perfectly fine, I just tolerate it less than others. That said, I don't mind it. If you were to go to Super Downs, you would feel even more. Bottom line, your shocks have less travel to handle road imperfections when dropped, the bigger the drop on stock shocks, the more susceptible it is to this.

Another factor might be your shocks. Do they have high mileage on them? I have definitely noticed that the shelf life of my shocks/struts when lowered is much shorter than riding stock height. If you added RSR's with a lot of mileage already on your suspension, you'll likely feel it more. Have you checked to see if any of your shocks are leaking?

Finally, how are the roads you drive on? The roads near me are mostly new/smooth. But if you drive on rough roads, it will just exaggerate what you already are driving on.
Milleage about 30000km road condition normal
Old 10-21-19, 12:20 PM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Milleage about 30000km road condition normal
that's not a lot of mileage on them, unless they are prematurely leaking, I would assume its just subjective and down to your personal preference.

Quick Reply: RSR Down Lowering Springs