Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber Issues (help)??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 03:23 PM
shaneheber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber Issues (help)??????????????

We just installed TEIN COILOVER CS on a lexus gs 300, with 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. We drop the back about 2.5 inches and the front 2 inches. I went to get the vechical allined and they had problems with setting the cambers for the front and rear. The rear mostly, the tires have a pertty good tow in the back, actually the machine read that they were at -2.9, and cant bring them back in. He tried to set the tow but all it did was cast the tire forward, instead of straighting it. Dont matter how much he turn it , it did nothing to the tire to correct it. IS there something that we must do to correct this, having it sit like this, tires will not last long.

What is everybody else doing with a drop like this.
Old 06-20-03, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well i am no expert in alignment, but you know how low my car is with my 19 (less than 1 finger gap, so it's more than 2.5") and i have the tein HA, and surprisingly after alignment, EVERYTHING was within spec except the front caster. yes, both the toe and the camber for front and rear were within spec. so i know it's doable, not sure how though
Old 06-20-03, 06:16 PM
shaneheber
Driver

Rominl you must be just one of the lucky ones.....lol , everybody that i had talk to on CL have the same issue about the back camber. Can you give me the number to the shop that did you alligement and what guy did the job, so we can ask him what everybody is doing wrong..... Hell i live in Lafayette, Louisiana, and i would drive all the way to where you live just so they can do the same for me........

how much of a gap you have on the rear Rominl, maybe thats our problem we are to low. My tires are tuck about an half inch. Thanks for you reply..........
Old 06-20-03, 07:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i can try to find the info, but damn.... not sure where i put the paperwork.... and i just go there, not even sure about the name, hahaha.... but i will try

and no, my rear isn't that low. i have less than 1/2 finger gap at the back, never like the tucking idea, maybe that's why? coz' i remember the guy tell me that all my alignment are very marginal already
Old 06-20-03, 07:27 PM
JacobT

The only fix is to raise it back up to around 1.5" drop from stock height. Since ther's no camber kit for GS. if you drop more than 2" from stock, there's no way you can have the camber back in specs.

-2.9 camber is a little too much, you'll eat up your tires in the inside within 8k miles of driving.
Old 06-22-03, 05:28 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I have no finger gap in the rear on 20's and its always going to be ONE degree negative unless I raise up the car. The front was no problem, only the rear. In your situation it is a little bit too much.
Old 06-23-03, 07:46 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i read on soe sites that canber 4 the gs id coming but anyone have info on when?
Old 06-23-03, 07:55 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Camber Issues (help)??????????????

Originally posted by shaneheber
We just installed TEIN COILOVER CS on a lexus gs 300, with 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. We drop the back about 2.5 inches and the front 2 inches. I went to get the vechical allined and they had problems with setting the cambers for the front and rear. The rear mostly, the tires have a pertty good tow in the back, actually the machine read that they were at -2.9, and cant bring them back in. He tried to set the tow but all it did was cast the tire forward, instead of straighting it. Dont matter how much he turn it , it did nothing to the tire to correct it. IS there something that we must do to correct this, having it sit like this, tires will not last long.

What is everybody else doing with a drop like this.
I think it's called "Toe" not "Tow."
Old 06-24-03, 11:09 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed that Daizen is developing a camber kit for the GS....you may want to email them to find out what the ETA on this new product....or pm Todd @ TM Engineering (DoubleWhoosh)....he's an authorized dealer for Daizen. Great guy.

http://www.daizen-sporttuning.com/

Pete